Author Topic: Rooting cherimoya and atemoya using rooting hormones?  (Read 7580 times)

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
Rooting cherimoya and atemoya using rooting hormones?
« on: February 21, 2018, 07:56:01 AM »
Any one have any luck rooting annona sticks?  As soon as they arrive I plan on trying it by using different hormones, one being Clonex.  Thoughts are to wrap the stick with buddy tape leaving at least one node treated and underground.  It's the node that has the most dormant buds which will pop first.

Mark

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
Re: Rooting cherimoya and atemoya using rooting hormones?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2018, 08:24:35 AM »
Please let us know if it works. Recently I placed a cutting from a red jabo in water
and after a month it put out a fresh batch of leaves. No roots so far but the leaves
are encouraging at least the cutting has not failed. If you get extra cuttings maybe
try the water method also? Its easy to put cuttings in water and leave in a window.
I tried to get bottlebrush to root in dirt many times unsucessfully and when I put the
cuttings in water in the fall they root after 4-6 weeks. I tried in the spring the same
method and zero?

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2018, 11:43:54 AM »
Mark, they sell a root gel cup thing at the nursery.  You could order online.  They work really well.  Cuttings dont dry out or rot.  Simon turned me onto those and I have a few plants rooted that I was having trouble with in other medium and rooting powder.  Ahve not tried cherimoya but if anything will work this is it.

« Last Edit: February 21, 2018, 11:45:38 AM by spaugh »
Brad Spaugh

Seanny

• Garden Grove, Orange County, California, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2018, 06:37:00 PM »
Books say you have a 5% success rate with air layering. Good luck rooting.

Th3_BrazilianShark

• San Diego, CA USA. 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2018, 10:29:01 PM »
Exactly! I tried to clone it few months ago, waited for a month and nothing. I also have a cherimoya that I am trying to air layer since beginning of December and no signs. I did use both, Clonex solution and rooting hormone.

Books say you have a 5% success rate with air layering. Good luck rooting.

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2018, 10:41:07 PM »
Hey Mark, the Gel2 foot pots are indicated for greenwood cuttings so not sure if they’ll work for Cherimoya scions but it’s worth a try.

I’m downing a pint of Pliny the Younger so I’m surprised I can even type!

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2018, 08:48:15 AM »
Hey Mark, the Gel2 foot pots are indicated for greenwood cuttings so not sure if they’ll work for Cherimoya scions but it’s worth a try.

I’m downing a pint of Pliny the Younger so I’m surprised I can even type!

Salud and yummy!  Checked on that brew, man is it complex.

Well definately get my hands on Gel2Root, thanks Brad and Simon for the tip.  Also have clonex to play with.

Am caught between removing the swelling tip and leaving it be.  Some remove the tip so the focus is on root output.  Since the growth hormones, auxins, collect in the tip (apical dominance thingie) it makes sense.  Question is, "is there enough food reserves in the cutting to support new tissue growth?"

Air layering is pretty foolproof if you do it right.  Girdle and take off a 1/4" band of bark just below the pt. where you wrap in spaghnum moss and plastic.  Rooting compound helps too.

Bush2Beach

• Santa Cruz, California Sunset Zone 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2018, 11:16:58 AM »
Is this for novelty? I can't see any advantage over starting seeds. Cherimoya roots are delicate and spindly enough as it is.

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
    • LED Bulbs for Landscape Lighting
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2018, 05:14:36 PM »
Any one have any luck rooting annona sticks?  As soon as they arrive I plan on trying it by using different hormones, one being Clonex.  Thoughts are to wrap the stick with buddy tape leaving at least one node treated and underground.  It's the node that has the most dormant buds which will pop first.

Mark

your best bet is to sow seeds, same year you graft them with known variety, and let one branch grow and mature into fruiting stage. in 2 yrs cherimoya would fruit from seedling if conditions are right.

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2018, 05:21:16 PM »
Is this for novelty? I can't see any advantage over starting seeds. Cherimoya roots are delicate and spindly enough as it is.

No, it's because of an emergency as I should be getting scions in the mail tomorrow.  An Ace in the hole thingie.  I'm hoping folks will gift me some decent seedlings as promised, big enough to graft to at our upcoming Austin scion exchange meeting. Lost all my seedlings in my recent freeze.

I have seeds germinating but am a good 2 years away from doing anything with them.

CA Hockey

• Orange, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2018, 10:10:25 PM »
I tried gel2root last year. Didn’t work. I had some cuttings leaf out but no roots. I tried this on citrus and pomegranate. After 4-6 weeks, although they were alive, I looked into it some more and sounds like a lot of people were poopooing the product. So I took them out and rooted indoors with a mini grow light. 2/3 pomegranates rooted and are still growing (outdoors now). Citrus puttered along for another month or so then dried out.

I had one lomegaranate cutting hat I just neglected and out in a pot outdoors. That grew and outstripped all the other cuttings I tried. I won’t be using gel2root anymore.

My 2 cents. Let me know if it works.

I am currently rooting about 40 different fig cuttings with rooting hormone. And it seems like the best outcome for me has been with rooting hormone (dip n grow or clonex) and wrapping with parafilm vs putting on a heating mat and covering with a humidity dome with temperature control and t5 grow lights. The latter is doing better than the former. I have cuttings in my greenhouse but temps there aren’t as well controlled so those are behind in development.i

In short, I say wrap with parafilm, root with hormone, use a seedling heating mat, and keep the humidity up.

K

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2018, 09:18:03 AM »
Good advise.  I have two of the Gel packs on their way with an Amazon order.  Will try different methods.  Hopefully someone will gift me with some seedlings big enough to graft to.  We get a lot of folks who bring 100's of bags of scions and pots of every kind of fruit you can imagine, seedlings, cuttings, seeds, etc. at the Austin and Houston scion exchange meetings.

Speaking of figs, they're big here.  One lady is bringing some rare French variety from cuttings she started.  Stuff like that......

Th3_BrazilianShark

• San Diego, CA USA. 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2018, 09:16:06 PM »
Well, I posted here before about the Cherimoya that I tried to air layer in December and yesterday I decided to open it, and for my surprise it seems like it could root in few more months.
There's a callous being formed and roots could emerge any time soon.
I don’t think it is “foolproof” as mentioned, I haven’t seen any videos or pics of any successful cherimoya being rooted by air layering, neither cloning.

« Last Edit: March 01, 2018, 03:57:41 AM by Th3_BrazilianShark »

Seanny

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2018, 03:50:07 PM »
In a few months you get 1 root. Very poor root. That's why success rate for air-layering cherimoya is 5%.

I gave up air-layering cherimoya and only graft now.

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2018, 10:50:10 AM »
No indication of roots, yet, only tops pushing.

PltdWorld

• San Diego, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2018, 10:27:32 AM »
Cool!  I hope they make some roots for you!

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2018, 01:02:25 PM »
They can push and grow for 4 months without dying or growing roots. That was my experience with lindstrom atemoya sticks. The moment you disturb them to check for roots is the time they will rapidly go downhill.

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2018, 01:02:41 PM »
Often those branches would be pushing now in the Spring, even if they had just been pruned off and thrown on the ground.  I never tried many cuttings, and didn't have any product other than Hormodin.  All died.

Some friends in the local Rare Fruit Council, back in the 1980's, sold Soursop trees that they had rooted from cuttings--- I assume greenwood.  Those friends are long gone, so can't ask.
Har

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2018, 07:50:18 AM »
Like I said, I don't expect any roots, it's fun to try though.  The leaves are rapidly expanding which may help with the photosynthesis thingie. 

I dropped the GelPak into a solid cup to eliminate light getting to the "rooting area".

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2019, 07:46:31 AM »
Gel cups work well with tomato cuttings.  Big Beef hybrid, one of my faves.

Seanny

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2019, 02:41:32 PM »
In CU11000 report they Get 99% success.
They use immature woods.
Seems very tedious to produce young woods.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2019, 04:34:23 PM »
A friend tried clonex on cuttings from my ilamas and soursops. Of around a dozen only one soursop (Whitman fibreless) and no ilamas rooted and survived.

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2019, 08:06:07 AM »
A friend tried clonex on cuttings from my ilamas and soursops. Of around a dozen only one soursop (Whitman fibreless) and no ilamas rooted and survived.

Had the same results with Clonex.

At least I've got 2 healthy tomato plants in the greenhouse now and a few volunteers popping up.  The volunteers are weird, having lost ALL of the original fine traits from the BHN hybrid.  Even when I let them hang for 2 weeks after they turn red they still don't have much flavor or overall good quality. 

My Atis graft July 2018 has turned into a fine tree.  SoCal friend who's eating them now says it beats cherimoya, says it's sweeter and they are huge.  Hope to fruit it next year.

Don't care for the open and rank growth.  Tried in vain to get a cage over it to pull up the branches.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2019, 08:07:47 AM by Mark in Texas »

Orkine

• Jupiter, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2019, 08:54:49 AM »
Mark, them are fightin words  :)

Now we wait for all the folks who believe nothing beats cherimoya to wake up...

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2019, 04:38:45 PM »
Mark, them are fightin words  :)

Now we wait for all the folks who believe nothing beats cherimoya to wake up...

INCOMING!!!!!!!    ;D