Author Topic: 4gal Backpack Sprayer for $52  (Read 2337 times)

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
4gal Backpack Sprayer for $52
« on: May 02, 2018, 12:08:22 PM »
Thought that some of you might be interested in this deal
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000AYHKUO/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?tag=slicinc-20&ascsubtag=9159903e4e2211e8b23426cbd3c933ad0INT&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

I have one that is from the same brand and looks nearly identical.
Works great for me, just wish it had an extra long tube for the wand

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
    • LED Bulbs for Landscape Lighting
Re: 4gal Backpack Sprayer for $52
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2018, 06:37:06 PM »
I would spend extra money and get battery operated. it works like a charm. I have hand one but then I had tennis elbow. it was hard to hand pump and use. Now its a breeze. https://www.amazon.com/Chapin-63985-4-Gallon-20-volt-Backpack/dp/B00Q03MMDO/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1525300609&sr=8-2-spons&keywords=battery+backpack+sprayer&psc=1

HIfarm

• Paukaa, HI, USA zone 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2018, 07:14:56 PM »
Thanks for posting this, Sayyid.  Prices for these keep creeping up here, it will be good to get it as a spare.

John

Orkine

• Jupiter, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2018, 08:43:52 PM »
While looking it up I came across this on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001FA09S2/ref=psdc_9001143011_t3_B000AYHKUO

It is a chapin like Behls battery powered unit but this is manual. - $73
Is this a better brand than King?

Does anyone actually has any experience using either?

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2018, 01:00:16 PM »
what do you guys put in the sprayer? How much do you fill at a time?

I have a 1.25 gallon hand pump and it's mostly just soap water for now. Not many things to spray. I have a RoundUp gallon container and it comes with a squirter so I just use that. I have trouble using up a gallon of either solution at one time so I'm thinking a larger one might be overkill for me unless it's for the ease of carrying (backpack) or automatic pump. Do you guys think these upgrades are worth it?

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
    • LED Bulbs for Landscape Lighting
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2018, 01:28:59 PM »

I have a 1.25 gallon hand pump and it's mostly just soap water for now. Not many things to spray. I have a RoundUp gallon container and it comes with a squirter so I just use that. I have trouble using up a gallon of either solution at one time so I'm thinking a larger one might be overkill for me unless it's for the ease of carrying (backpack) or automatic pump. Do you guys think these upgrades are worth it?

I use it for two purposes:
1. pest control. I fired three companies in last 6 years and have been doing my own pest control sprays, this battery one works great. I spray Demon WP and that wipes out black widow spiders, ants, and several other nasty critters. keep my house clear and clean.
2. Foliar spray - I flush the sprayer pesticides first with hot water. Then I mostly use boron/Mn/Mg/Sulphur/Ca, Fe, seaweed extract mix into 4 gal water and foliar spray my plants. I have lots of plants so 4 gal gets full coverage.

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2018, 01:39:37 PM »
My next venture will be a battery powered one.
Hoping one that works with one of the many lithium battery tools sets.
Ryobi has a tiny one that battery powered.

Right now pumping is not a concern...in 2 or 3 years it will be.

CA Hockey

• Orange, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2018, 08:22:21 AM »
It says demon wp is not listed for use on edible plants.😱

palmcity

• Martin County, Fl zone10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2018, 09:21:35 AM »

I bought a 4 gallon backpack sprayer about 3 years ago as I thought of it's good points 1. it would be quicker 2.easier than refilling it 3 more times.

I used it about 3 times and then went back to my 1 gallon size sprayers as I did not think about the disadvantages for me 1. 4 x 8+ lbs = greater than 32 lbs to carry and I much much much rather carry 8lbs vs. 32 lbs around the yard. 2. I almost need someone else to just help me get it on my back as very difficult 3. I prefer using permanently separate sprayers for some items like a. one for sulfur spraying b. one for insecticide spraying c. one for herbicide spraying. 3. When considering my time in balancing it on and off my back, I consider it almost no quicker than just filling the smaller sprayer 3 more times.  4. If the sprayer gets clogged you may be out of luck for that day till you dissemble it and clean it, but just grab another cheap gallon size if you have many of those lying around. 5. four gallon sprayers can often be purchased on sale for less money than one 4 gallon sprayer.

My 4 gallon sprayer sits motionless in storage..... My four 1 gallon sprayers are used often for various sprayings.

HIfarm

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2018, 02:55:34 PM »
I think you need to look at your specific situation as to whether or not a sprayer of this size makes sense for you.  My situation is the opposite of palmcity's -- I use the backpack sprayer fairly often (too often as far as I am concerned) and the small sprayers are used much less frequently.  I use it for herbicide.  Here the weeds grow quickly and are very aggressive.  Weeds like hilo grass and some of the others will even grow up trees and envelope them.  I've got a good sized piece of land so there is a lot of spraying.

Before going to the backpack sprayer, I tried larger conventional sprayers (I think it was a 2 1/2 or 3 gallon) since there was too much time spent refilling the small ones (and walking back & forth to fill it, if you have a good sized place).  That big sprayer caused a lot of aches and pains to my shoulder, trying to lug all that weight around being held by one hand (most of these small sprayers do not have straps of any kind).

You do really need to stop and think if you need a sprayer this big.  It is heavy, however if it is designed well, the weight is distributed well by the harness & it is not too bad.  It can be difficult to strap on -- I have found using a pickup gate to support it while you slip it on your back makes it pretty easy.

And yeah, you can buy 4 (or maybe even a half dozen or more) cheap gallon sprayers for the same money.  However, most of those are not well made.  Many of the backpack sprayers are well designed in terms of filters to prevent clogs and the well designed ones can be quick to clean.  I have seen the small sprayers to be much worse in this regard.  One down side to these backpacks is if you have to abruptly stop spraying before finishing (as happens here when rain can move in fairly quickly).  A tank of herbicide that sits will often precipitate into suspended globs that will clog filters quickly.

So you need to think about what is right for you.  Backpacks are not for everyone but they are great tools for those who need them.

John

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2018, 03:15:40 PM »
Do the backpack sprayers come with agitators that mix the contents, or is that an extra feature that only some have? Is it standard for battery backpack sprayers? You know, some things don't stay mixed too long and need to be shaken around from time to time.

HIfarm

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2018, 03:25:13 PM »
I am not sure about the ones I have (I tend to try to shake it up periodically but probably look ridiculous in the process).  The one Sayyid referenced on Amazon says it has agitators (I assume that they are actuated when you pump).

John

palmcity

• Martin County, Fl zone10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2018, 08:43:55 PM »
I think you need to look at your specific situation as to whether or not a sprayer of this size makes sense for you.  My situation is the opposite of palmcity's -- I use the backpack sprayer fairly often (too often as far as I am concerned) and the small sprayers are used much less frequently.  I use it for herbicide.  Here the weeds grow quickly and are very aggressive.  Weeds like hilo grass and some of the others will even grow up trees and envelope them.  I've got a good sized piece of land so there is a lot of spraying.

Before going to the backpack sprayer, I tried larger conventional sprayers (I think it was a 2 1/2 or 3 gallon) since there was too much time spent refilling the small ones (and walking back & forth to fill it, if you have a good sized place).  That big sprayer caused a lot of aches and pains to my shoulder, trying to lug all that weight around being held by one hand (most of these small sprayers do not have straps of any kind).

You do really need to stop and think if you need a sprayer this big.  It is heavy, however if it is designed well, the weight is distributed well by the harness & it is not too bad.  It can be difficult to strap on -- I have found using a pickup gate to support it while you slip it on your back makes it pretty easy.

And yeah, you can buy 4 (or maybe even a half dozen or more) cheap gallon sprayers for the same money.  However, most of those are not well made.  Many of the backpack sprayers are well designed in terms of filters to prevent clogs and the well designed ones can be quick to clean.  I have seen the small sprayers to be much worse in this regard.  One down side to these backpacks is if you have to abruptly stop spraying before finishing (as happens here when rain can move in fairly quickly).  A tank of herbicide that sits will often precipitate into suspended globs that will clog filters quickly.

So you need to think about what is right for you.  Backpacks are not for everyone but they are great tools for those who need them.

John
You have some good points. It makes me happy knowing it's good for you.

I don't have a pickup tailgate to sit it on once full of liquid and then slip into it... but I do have a salt tank next to the faucet.... Well, I remember the time I put it on top of the salt tank and tried to slip into it and it did not balance quite right on that round top... I almost went down on the ground for the count.... I decided to ask for help the next time but gave it up for the gallon size quickies.

« Last Edit: May 04, 2018, 08:46:03 PM by palmcity »

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2018, 12:10:00 PM »
Just because a backpack-sprayer has 4-gallon capacity doesn't mean that you have to fill it!

Place it empty on an inverted barrel or other flat area at your waist height, oil the crank parts, and put only one or two gallons in it.

Use only products that stay suspended easily.

If you use Sulfur, or any other product that sinks, or if you use oil, which floats, you will have to do a lot of shaking and dancing, which are very tiring.
This tends to be true even if the sprayer comes comes with an "agitator" attached to the pumping column in the tank, that only works at medium depth, and only when you pump with strong, long strokes.

Solo sells a four-foot wand that telescopes to 8 feet.  To mate it to other brands requires adapter parts not sold by Solo.
Har