Author Topic: Surniame Cherry from Jim Neitzel  (Read 2341 times)

marklee

• Chula Vista, California Zone 24 or 10b
    • View Profile
Surniame Cherry from Jim Neitzel
« on: June 12, 2018, 11:15:41 PM »
Jim, said he bought this tree at Walter Andersons nursery in San Diego some 20 years ago and said it was labeled as Eugenia Smithii, I know there is not a species "Smithii" so it must be a variety. The leaves are thicker and bigger than any other Unifloras I've come across. The fruit is large and are black as "black star' and "Zill's dark". The taste at maturity does not have any resinous or bad after taste.

PltdWorld

• San Diego, CA 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Surniame Cherry from Jim Neitzel
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2018, 01:07:11 AM »
Looks awesome!

It seems like pitanga is grown in every backyard in Rio... not sure why it isn't more popular in Southern California.  It's an attractive landscape tree, and it creates a fruit that can be eaten out of hand.  Perhaps we've just been waiting for a few decent cultivars to supplant the resinous/common fruit?

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2018, 10:54:40 AM »
That looks great! The nicest thing about eugenias is they can tolerate some shade. I just put my surinam cherry seedling in the front yard where it's shady all the time. It was flowering this year before planting. I hope it will do so next year.

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2018, 11:06:44 AM »
That's a nice size pitanga Mark, interesting that i was called smithii i know that Nelson Westree developed some varieties of pitanga too, I have one seedling named westree 369 that's black but not as big as your's!

fourseasonsflorida

• Where the subtropical and temperate meet...
    • USA, Florida, Titusville, zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2018, 04:05:26 PM »
Hi Mark, I would love to get some seeds from that if you are willing to send to FL.  I have another black Surinam Cherry from Adam that is on the verge of fruiting, so I would love to grow both and compare.  Thanks, Nate
Nate

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2018, 04:24:32 PM »
I saw the tree and Fruit in person and it was a large fruit and the leaves felt twice as thick as Marks other Surinam Cherry leaves. I think you may have a special plant there Mark.

Simon

marklee

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2018, 07:08:03 PM »
Hi Mark, I would love to get some seeds from that if you are willing to send to FL.  I have another black Surinam Cherry from Adam that is on the verge of fruiting, so I would love to grow both and compare.  Thanks, Nate

Hi Nate,

The tree doesn't have much fruit right now. But I will keep you in mind.

Thanks,

Mark

marklee

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2018, 07:09:30 PM »
That's a nice size pitanga Mark, interesting that i was called smithii i know that Nelson Westree developed some varieties of pitanga too, I have one seedling named westree 369 that's black but not as big as your's!

I think they have a Westree at Quail Gardens that puts out black fruit.

marklee

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2018, 07:10:40 PM »
That looks great! The nicest thing about eugenias is they can tolerate some shade. I just put my surinam cherry seedling in the front yard where it's shady all the time. It was flowering this year before planting. I hope it will do so next year.

Yeah Fang,

Surinames do fine in the shade. This particular one only gets sun until about 1 in the afternoon.

marklee

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2018, 11:38:45 PM »
Here are the leaves from the Jim Neitzel pitanga. The first photo is of some leaves at the base of the tree. The second photo is of some mature foliage.