Author Topic: Thoughts on seedling mangoes as rootstocks  (Read 1411 times)

KarenRei

• Arctic Member
    • Reykjavík, Iceland
    • View Profile
Thoughts on seedling mangoes as rootstocks
« on: May 06, 2020, 09:32:21 AM »
What are your thoughts on the use of arbitrary (non-polyembryonic) indian-type mango seedlings as rootstocks? I usually plant the seeds when I eat "store mangoes" (with the intent of growing some rootstocks), and have some getting nearly up to grafting size, but I've second guessed myself, wondering whether I should only be using rootstocks from a named cultivar.  But on the other hand, most rootstocks from named cultivars are usually optimized for particular environments, and no particular environment is likely to match *my* particular growth environment; surely there's some merit to the argument of, "plant it, and if it grows well, it's probably a good rootstock".

What are your thoughts?  Are only seedlings from named cultivars suitable, or are arbitrary monoembryonic seedlings good so long as they grow well?
Já, ég er að rækta suðrænar plöntur á Íslandi. Nei, ég er ekki klikkuð. Jæja, kannski...

Brev Grower

• Will trade mango scions
    • USA , Florida, Brevard county
    • View Profile
Re: Thoughts on seedling mangoes as rootstocks
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2020, 11:12:34 AM »
I say use whatever is available to you. I have numerous seedlings I plan to graft to and have grafted to others already with good success. Besides, I like to see if you get something good from the original seedling. Might find a new excellent variety:)

KarenRei

• Arctic Member
    • Reykjavík, Iceland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2020, 07:43:42 PM »
Doesn't that mean years of waiting and lots of space to find out whether you lucked out?
Já, ég er að rækta suðrænar plöntur á Íslandi. Nei, ég er ekki klikkuð. Jæja, kannski...

palmcity

• Martin County, Fl zone10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2020, 09:47:18 PM »
1.What are your thoughts on the use of arbitrary (non-polyembryonic) indian-type mango seedlings as rootstocks?

2.are arbitrary monoembryonic seedlings good so long as they grow well?
Any seedling can be grafted regardless if mono or poly seeds and can grow into a fine tree. Some seedlings are faster growers like Haden & Edward seeds and some are slower like Mallika & Okrung IMO by my observations at my location in South Florida.

I'm not a condo mango tree fan so I prefer the faster growing seedlings but if your in a greenhouse I suppose you might want the slower growth mango seedling varieties.

Any seedling that seems to be growing good is a possible graft and or transplant tree to me as I see little difference except for growth rate & if too fast... I'll let the chainsaw chew on it a little. So I guess it means for me: Selection is just Arbitrary .

palmcity

• Martin County, Fl zone10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2020, 09:57:46 PM »
Doesn't that mean years of waiting and lots of space to find out whether you lucked out?
It's so easy to graft and know what you will get; no real reason to let the wild part grow to find out if it's good as people like Zill have already done such a good job selecting winners. I just reuse one of their winners vs. trying to find a winner....

However, I may actually go back in a few years and chip into the trunk of the rootstock to get a wild original limb started just to find out... But it would be just for fun and amusement as to what it might taste like.

Orkine

• Jupiter, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2020, 10:40:10 PM »
Grow your seedling and graft on to it.
If you are curious and have enough trees to be able to use one as a nurse tree, take scions from your seedling and put it on a mature nurse tree, label it carefully, then graft your named variety on the seedling.  If your nurse tree produces a fantastic fruit from one of the seedling scion grafts, check the seed out.  If it is poly you can reproduce the tree from seed.  If not you take scions from your nurse tree and get your variety on new seedlings or topwork something else in your yard. 
I have a nurse tree that is holding about a dozen varieties including 4 un-named varieties, seedlings from mono-embryonic mangos that I ate and decided to use as rootstock.  It's not a breeding program or anything like that, I am just curious to see what the fruit will look and taste like.
If the unnamed seedling varieties fruit, and they show some promise, they stay, else I will prune them off and put other things on.

KarenRei

• Arctic Member
    • Reykjavík, Iceland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2020, 10:46:34 PM »
That's a clever approach.  E.g. you get your "guaranteed"  fruit from the graft, but still get to try the seedling.

Orkine

• Jupiter, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2020, 11:14:44 PM »
Requires some patience but if the tree is in transition anyway, its not a problem.
My nurse tree is a big old Tommy Atkins tree that I am top-working to other variety in thirds. 
Each season I take down a third of the canopy and graft on the several shoots that regrow.  There are so many of them and I know I will prune them off eventually as I reshape the tree but I graft on all of them and shape the canopy latter. 
By the third year when I start grafting the final third, the initial grafts should start fruiting.  I am in year 2 of that process and will take down the final third on my nurse tree this year and graft on thiem next year. I home some of the first year's graft will start fruiting by then.
In a few years as the new canopy forms, I will prune some of the grafts off to shape the new tree.

OCchris1

• Old Towne Orange, CA 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2020, 01:23:23 AM »
I have to give this thread a thumbs up!
-Chris

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk