Author Topic: found another area up high with Luc's Garcinia  (Read 2652 times)

Raulglezruiz

• Puerto Vallarta,Mexico. Lat 21.5 Semi Tropical
    • View Profile
found another area up high with Luc's Garcinia
« on: May 15, 2020, 12:26:39 PM »
after writing most of you who requested seeds telling that for any reason there was no fruits this year, talking to a friend he said to know another area where these trees also grow wild, to my surprise this area is way up high in the hills the town call Talpa de Allende is at 1134 MASL so if the trees are in the hills surrounding the town they should be higher than that, he told me the trees are no close to the rivers and take a minimum 6 months drought every year, have seen the seed and has different shape from the ones in the original Luc's place, being more rounded and less pointed, the fruit has another shape (only seen a couple fruits, will get more tomorrow) also being like a triangle if saw from the top and looking like a mini squash lookingfrom the side, I have only tried one and the flavor was 100% sweet of course this fruit was totally ripe, I'll have seeds available only from this type that I call Squash assuming the more fruits I'll received this weekend are consistent with the shape I'll also post most pictures once I get them
El verde es vida!

KarenRei

• Arctic Member
    • Reykjavík, Iceland
    • View Profile
Re: found another area up high with Luc's Garcinia
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2020, 12:24:49 AM »
Awesome - hope I make the list!  How do the size, flesh:seed ratio, and taste compare to the others?
Já, ég er að rækta suðrænar plöntur á Íslandi. Nei, ég er ekki klikkuð. Jæja, kannski...

Mvule101

• Arua, Uganda
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2020, 04:27:16 AM »
Wow that sounds amazing. I am very interested.!!

Raulglezruiz

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2020, 11:18:35 AM »
Awesome - hope I make the list!  How do the size, flesh:seed ratio, and taste compare to the others?
HI Karen, yes these seeds are available immediately buying them don't really know exactly where they are, seed and ratio flesh is the same than the others, shape is different, taste is great same as the regular and Jumbo type but I would say only trying a few fruits that were brought to me a little sweeter that the mentioned, however what surprised me is that I thought they were at the town of talpa de allende at 1134 meters asl but yesterday talking with the guy who's bringing me the seeds he said the are in the mountains outside the town so that means they could be around 1700/2000 meters high, that explains why this species takes good temperate weather as in California
El verde es vida!

KarenRei

• Arctic Member
    • Reykjavík, Iceland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2020, 03:48:11 PM »
Wow, that's amazing  :)  I need to update my database info on this species!  :)

If they have a high germination rate, sign me up for 4; moderate to low germination rate, for 8.  :)
Já, ég er að rækta suðrænar plöntur á Íslandi. Nei, ég er ekki klikkuð. Jæja, kannski...

Miguel.pt

• Portugal, Northwest, climate 9a/9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2020, 04:22:03 PM »
Hello Raul

I am definitly interested in some of those seeds.
Hopefully they can produce hardier trees due to the high altitude origins and maybe they can grow well on my climate 9 here in Europe.
You have PM my friend!
Thanks for making these seeds available and keep safe!
Miguel

OCchris1

• Old Towne Orange, CA 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2020, 01:28:36 AM »
Hi Raul! If it's ok, I would like to be on the list to get seeds amigo. Thank you
-Chris

Chandramohan

• India, Kerala, Wynad
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2020, 08:11:56 AM »
Greetings!! Dr. Livingstone! I would like 5 seeds.

Raulglezruiz

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2020, 08:02:42 PM »
there's plenty of seeds right now look at my post in the buy and trade section...
El verde es vida!

KarenRei

• Arctic Member
    • Reykjavík, Iceland
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2020, 12:01:08 PM »
BTW, out of curiosity, what's the current status of scientific research with regards to this species? Is it any closer to being declared its own species or a subspecies of some other species?  I'm really curious  :)

Itay Gazit

• san jose
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2020, 03:38:25 PM »
Hi Raul,

Do you happen to know whether the town of talpa de allende have get freezing temperatures during winter?

Thx

KarenRei

• Arctic Member
    • Reykjavík, Iceland
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2020, 09:27:00 PM »

The town is at 1134m altitude. Given the normal atmospheric lapse rate, if these trees extend upwards of 2000m, up there you could cut about 9°C off of those temperatures.  So in extreme years, it's possible the highest trees could face frost.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2020, 09:37:40 PM by KarenRei »

NateTheGreat

• SF Bay Area, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2020, 10:32:23 PM »
https://weatherspark.com/y/3618/Average-Weather-in-Talpa-de-Allende-Mexico-Year-Round

Edit: May not be all that accurate now that I read the fine print:
"
There are 3 weather stations near enough to contribute to our estimation of the temperature and dew point in Talpa de Allende.

For each station, the records are corrected for the elevation difference between that station and Talpa de Allende according to the International Standard Atmosphere , and by the relative change present in the MERRA-2 satellite-era reanalysis between the two locations.

The estimated value at Talpa de Allende is computed as the weighted average of the individual contributions from each station, with weights proportional to the inverse of the distance between Talpa de Allende and a given station.

The stations contributing to this reconstruction are: Licenciado Gustavo Díaz Ordaz International Airport (42%, 56 kilometers, northwest); Playa de Oro International Airport (26%, 140 kilometers, south); and Guadalajara International Airport (33%, 158 kilometers, east).
"
« Last Edit: May 18, 2020, 10:34:59 PM by NateTheGreat »

lk095

• Italy, USDA 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2021, 08:01:39 PM »
Hi, I arrived pretty late in this post... Will there be more seeds avaiable next spring?

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2021, 03:03:21 AM »
The rate of temp decrease with altitude changes from pole to the equator and does not mirror the lowland in the pattern of max and mins. If we are talking 20 degrees north latitude and 1134m altitude we are looking at 7c cooler than the adjacent coast in yearly average temperature and almost certainly to be in a frost zone. With increasing altitude it is not 1c with every 100m like some references say. The average over a year doesn't tell you that night and winter minimums are effected more by altitude than maximum temps meaning greater cold tolerance than just what average temps show.
Why I mention this is because specimens from this provenance may extend where this species can be grown a long way further into cooler zones.
In my area Cairns at sea level has a record low of just under 7c but in the adjacent highlands at 900m the town of Herberton has recorded -5c.