Author Topic: Naucles Latifolia, 100 seeds no success, 1000 seeds no success  (Read 816 times)

Willie

• Thailand, Chonburi, USDA 12
    • View Profile
Naucles Latifolia, 100 seeds no success, 1000 seeds no success
« on: January 01, 2021, 11:50:21 AM »
Hi all growers and a happy, healthy and prosperous New Year 2021

during last year I have received and tried to grow a lot of fruit trees and we had mixed success (as expected) here in Thailand.

There were demanding and tricky trees that germinated like mad and outgrew their pots and others never popped up.

The result of having now a collection of almost 140 fruit trees/shrubs from all over the world speaks for itself and I trust the green hand of my wife, so I keep ordering whatever is sounding interesting and calling for USDA zone 11 and above.

First to all our contacts and connections we made:
Meanwhile we spent a whopping 6000 EUR worldwide on seeds mostly in advance payment. The list to thank all would be way too long and so we do this by highlight two "extremes" we faced.
We thanking herewith Julienne and her Boyfriend Moise from the Republic of Congo for their endless effort to send us seeds of trees we never heard of and every Dollar spent was a pleasure by focus on your honest trade.
They didn't hesitate to take bus ride of 8 hrs to Brazzaville to make sure that the seeds will be on a reliable way to Thailand. .
Also we need to highlight here a guy called Urs from the rich country of Switzerland, who took the 100 EUR but never sent the seeds or replied at all.

Now to the topic.

Moise tried twice to send me the seeds of Nauclea Latifolia common named African Peach.
One time he sent about 100 seeds and the 2nd time he sent sure a 1000 seeds.
The germination rate both times was brilliant but as soon the little seedlings popped up they died.
We have now 3 trees left which turned out their first 3 true leaves and give us a bit hope.

Has anyone grown them successfully here by meaning turning at least a 50% survival rate into strong little trees?

Any info what we did possibly wrong will help and is much appreciated.

Best regards

Willie
All men are equal but only the finest become seafarers

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Naucles Latifolia, 100 seeds no success, 1000 seeds no success
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2021, 12:57:50 AM »
Maybe something fungal killing them. Try innoculating the soil mix with beneficial mycorrhizae. I never had issues with germination and growing the trees past 2 years. I find the news are pretty tolerant of short drought periods, cool temps high 30s F, and short periods of flooding. Still awaiting flowers ans fruit.
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

Willie

• Thailand, Chonburi, USDA 12
    • View Profile
Re: Naucles Latifolia, 100 seeds no success, 1000 seeds no success
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2022, 05:02:22 AM »
I have found the issue.

Since I have sown them in seed trays with clear lids they thrive and the losses are pretty low.
As soon they have developed to the size of chickweed I report them individually and cover with a plastic bag.

Humidity in the air did the magic until they are strong enough to be outside without cover.
All men are equal but only the finest become seafarers

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk