Author Topic: So far end of June and zero squirrel damage. Experiment holding 100%. C video  (Read 585 times)

weiss613

• Miami
    • View Profile
https://share.icloud.com/photos/0jW1HWb9PbYRrpobwJfGnAV7w
This I cloud link should work for 30 days. Be patient when it’s loading. It shows 24 Valencia Prides in 2 different sized clear plastic containers and 1 not in a container as the control. It’s the end of June and many are close to ripening and this is exactly when squirrels attack. Birds can’t get in the boxes but squirrels are geniuses and might but so far neither the control or the boxed are perfect. When the boxes come off the VP’s they’ll get switched to the next varieties to need protection and what I don’t cover will be the controls. And when it’s all over the boxes will be reused every year thereafter because they are totally reusable. Also have all my LZ’s boxed on 1 tree except for 5.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2021, 03:10:51 PM by weiss613 »

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
Thank you for sharing your experience with varmint control.

Guy on FB is covering mangoes with chainmail (metal mesh) bags. My wife can sew, thinking about it...

Was ripening some mangoes on the porch. Must've been a late night rat attack, woke up to some choice mangoes partially eaten up.

They've been hitting my p. laurifolia fruits hard. Keep learning new ways to mess with me.

Caught a couple of em'; think the others watch, smell, and learn.

strkpr00

• USA, Florida, Davie zone10b
    • View Profile
Where did you get the boxes? They look new. Mine are beat over years of collecting a few and using them all from years past.
I usually leave a damaged fruit on the ground for easy pickins for the varmints. Then I trap.

Odenwald

• West central Florida 9b
    • View Profile
Great idea, as the rodents eat through the fruit bags.  I'll have to find some of those plastic boxes.

weiss613

• Miami
    • View Profile