Author Topic: Low 30's coming, does bagging panicles/flowers offer any freeze protection?  (Read 731 times)

JakeFruit

• Mod Emeritus
  • FL Gulf Coast Fruit Lover Spam Fighter
    • zone 10A
    • View Profile
Trying to get ready for this Sunday & Monday, forecasted to be mid/low 30's here overnight. I only have half a dozen or so panicles currently (hopefully that changes after this cold snap), BB-sized fruit on most of them. Is there any use in bagging them or otherwise trying to protect them?

fliptop

• SWFL10a
    • View Profile
I can't answer that now, but will be able to sometime after this weekend, as I plan on covering my Mango panicles and fruitlets with frost cloth. It might be futile, but I feel like I have to try something. . . .

puglvr1

• USA, Central, FL xxxxx, Zone 9b
    • View Profile

It definitely won't hurt to try and protect them. I had mid to upper 20's back in 2009 and I covered my trees with frost cloths but it didn't save the pannicles, but you are going to be warmer so maybe it will help...I'm sure I'm going to lose all the pannicles that are on the tree now, though I have 3 mango trees that haven't started to bloom yet... we are expected to be 28 degrees Sunday morning and 32  Monday morning.  The trees are all too big to protect so I'm just hoping the trees will survive!! Best of luck to all!

But...the good news is these mango trees survived believe it or not  ;), I lost 2 Lychee trees that year and a 2 very small mango trees.

If you can try doubling or even triple on the thickness of the frost cloth the thicker it is the more protection it will be, of course depending on the size of the tree will determine how much protection you can give it...

JakeFruit

• Mod Emeritus
  • FL Gulf Coast Fruit Lover Spam Fighter
    • zone 10A
    • View Profile
Yeah, nothing to lose (that I wouldn't be losing anyway).
I'm trying to figure out what light, thin material(s) would insulate the best. I'm thinking maybe a tinfoil inner layer and a plastic bag outer layer. Neither are especially great at trapping heat, but everything else I can think of would be too heavy.

puglvr1

• USA, Central, FL xxxxx, Zone 9b
    • View Profile

I hope you guys fared okay and the trees made it okay...