Author Topic: Mango Pests, Diseases, and Nutritional Problems  (Read 433211 times)

fruitnoob

• Zone10a
    • View Profile
Re: Mango Pests, Diseases, and Nutritional Problems
« Reply #2325 on: September 11, 2022, 08:17:20 AM »

Good morning gurus,

My prized Kiew Yai tree has a lot of these, which I thought were freeze damages and have not taken them seriously until I found this forum.
Are these spots from anthracnose? If so, should i: 1, cut off all damaged leaves, and 2. keep spraying copper fungicide every couple of weeks until there's no sign of anthracnose?
The pictures are front and back of the same leaves. There are so many of them :(

Thanks.

« Last Edit: September 11, 2022, 08:26:19 AM by fruitnoob »
Tom

mangoba

• Mediterranean
    • View Profile
« Reply #2326 on: September 11, 2022, 09:54:41 AM »
I have been growing mango seedlings with a very large genetic diversity. I have one of the toughest soils, but the general impression has been that the more the Indian/Alphonso spiciness gene gets involved, the more likely the seedling would struggle. Do you notice any major differences when it comes to nutrition requirements of Indian/Alphonso types?

EddieF

• s.e. florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #2327 on: September 20, 2022, 07:46:26 PM »
Har, photos of bark splits taken today.  I applied roughly 2 cups Gypsum each tree before all this good rain.
I really don't want to paint them white, does the paint itself help hold moisture in?  I'd use brown if so.
Also wondering if i painted with Gypsum & water, would it soak in & help soften bark?
I have Neem, oil would soften but might be like baby oil to us.  Thoughts?

Leaf tip burn was from me learning that 1oz of micros per gallon was too much.  1/2oz better, lesson learned.

Thank you,
Ed

Peach Cobbler

Maha

« Last Edit: September 20, 2022, 08:00:15 PM by EddieF »

Oolie

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #2328 on: September 20, 2022, 08:36:55 PM »
I think the bark split is normal. When I paint, I use Lime, not gypsum, as gypsum stays water soluble, lime sets up in a more permanent coating (holds up to rain). You might have luck with gypsum, but I would expect it to run during application much more easily.

As far as moisture retention, white will only reflect light to lower the likelyhood of burning, the surface area ratio of leaves to roots, as well as dryness of the air will be the factors that affect drying out of the tree.
Also, the bark is dead, and a thicker layer will help protect against burning of the living portion beneath (the cambium).

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2329 on: September 20, 2022, 10:46:17 PM »
Long vertical splits of the corky outer bark is normal maturation.

Short splits with gummosis or running ooze are not normal, and are said to be from "abiotic stresses"--- still rather debated.
Har

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk