Author Topic: Nippon Orangequat  (Read 13572 times)

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
Re: Nippon Orangequat
« Reply #25 on: May 01, 2014, 05:08:48 PM »
Here it is.  It looks very nice.  No damage and good roots.  Total cost was about $70 shipped ($40 tree, $30 shipping).

Thanks very much Dave for finding this!

sugar land dave

• sugar land, tx Zone 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2014, 12:44:21 PM »
Brian,

That's a nice looking tree and I see you have put it in one of the rootmakers that Millet recommends.  These trees are usually very productive and mine produced when smaller than yours.  It wouldn't surprise me if you got fruit this year from it. 

Glad everything worked out for you.

brian

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2014, 02:58:40 PM »
The orangequat is blooming now so there's a good chance I will get to see what the fruit tastes like this winter.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 01, 2014, 10:37:12 PM »
I have never tasted an Orangequat.  I am partial to both sour tasting fruit, as well as sweet tasting fruit.  Let us know what you think of Orangequat's taste when your fruit matures.  I'll be interested. I'll bet Mr. Texas has tasted Orangequat before. - Millet
« Last Edit: July 01, 2014, 10:39:02 PM by Millet »

brian

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 02, 2014, 11:47:05 AM »
Yes, I will definitely report back.  I have quite a few varieties I have never actually tasted that are fruiting now.  I am looking forward to it.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2014, 11:49:48 AM by brian »

Tom

• USA, Alabama,Montgomery, zone 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 02, 2014, 10:40:00 PM »
First white rootmaker I remember seeing. Can you buy them or is that painted ? Thanks. Tom

brian

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 03, 2014, 12:17:45 AM »
They are all painted white on one side to keep the afternoon heat out.  I think Millet mentioned this a ways back and it definitely helps.

sugar land dave

• sugar land, tx Zone 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 11, 2014, 02:19:03 AM »
I have never tasted an Orangequat.  I am partial to both sour tasting fruit, as well as sweet tasting fruit.  Let us know what you think of Orangequat's taste when your fruit matures.  I'll be interested. I'll bet Mr. Texas has tasted Orangequat before. - Millet

I have a dozen on the tree now, plus some new blossoming.  Around December to May  is the season here.  I love the tart orange flavor in drinks you would normally use a lemon.  You just don't need as much juice.    With orangequat you will either love it or hate it.  There is no in between on this fruit.

RyanL

• Orange County, NC.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 14, 2014, 01:19:42 PM »
I agree with Dave, either you love it or hate it. To me the peel has some bitterness to it. Ive found they are the best to cook with. candied, they cannot be matched. the peel takes on a somewhat sweet melting texture and the juice remains a little tart. Another thing about nippon is the tree is very ornamental.

sugar land dave

• sugar land, tx Zone 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 28, 2014, 10:08:45 PM »
Cooking with them is a great idea.  Thanks for bringing that up!

brian

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 26, 2015, 12:42:15 PM »
After last year's bloom, only a single fruit remained.  That fruit is *still* on the tree and *still* not fully orange yet.  The tree seemed to have gone into stasis until it had flush this month and some new fruit set.  The one fruit doesn't appear to be wrinkled or anything that would indicate decline, so I'm just going to let it sit until it gets orange or looks unhealthy.  I doubt it will be a very representative sample for the cultivar as a whole.