Author Topic: Mangos for mild climate  (Read 15229 times)

wslau

• La Palma, CA, USA, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Re: Mangos for mild climate
« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2014, 07:24:52 PM »
I would love to see some of his best on the table during the mango testings to see how they stack with the rest

Clay,
I'm going to his place in October on a Foothill CRFG tour.  Perhaps he will have samples for us.  We'll have to see.
Warren

mbmango

• LAX, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 27, 2014, 07:40:10 PM »
Tim's mangos are relatively newly released so I would be surprised if someone had a mature tree to sample off.  From what I've read and my communications with him, he's primarily targeting commercial growers, so he is selecting based on marketability, so I'm expecting some tradeoffs with taste and fiberlessness.  Even if not "top-tier", I'm still expecting them to be home garden worthy, i.e. much better than imported fruit (crossing fingers). We'll see.

A tour?  Samples! I've been thinking of asking him about a visit, even if only to see what a football stadium sized greenhouse is like and how it runs.

btwm here is a shot of the earwigs when I first was inspecting the condition of the Manila.  After peeling off a little bark around the poorly pruned stem to see if it was cleanable, they started pouring out like in a horror movie.  I definitely want to avoid this going forward.

wslau

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 27, 2014, 07:51:41 PM »

A tour?  Samples! I've been thinking of asking him about a visit, even if only to see what a football stadium sized greenhouse is like and how it runs.

Mbmango,
Tim Thompson did not disclose the specific location of the new giant greenhouse or the nursery that is propagating his Painted Mango Collection and growing his special rootstock.  But I do have a picture of the gigantic greenhouse....impressive!

Our tour will actually occur in Camarillo, I believe his residence, where we can see the terraced hillside of mango trees.  From my notes, Camarillo is where all the mother trees are.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2014, 11:40:05 PM by wslau »
Warren

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 27, 2014, 10:00:48 PM »
Will have to drive by soon to take a look!  And thanks for your generosity!  I've never tasted any of the Garcinias, but it seems to have much hype from what little I've read so far.  I may take you up on that just out of curiosity.

Mbmango,

There is a Jackfruit tree that is producing and holding fruit, not taking a ton of space in Hermosa Beach on 8th street between Ardmore and PCH. I suggest you walk by it and take a look. I have not talked to the owners/occupants yet, I have seen them outside a few times during the summer weekends.

Seedlings from this tree should be a good selection to produce fruit in your location. You have quite a collection you recently picked up, I may have an extra Luc's Garcinia seedling if you want to stop by Hermosa sometime.

You can just private message me when you have the time to meet up.
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

mbmango

• LAX, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 28, 2014, 02:26:18 AM »
@Warren - Oh, that's awesome!  I didn't realize it was a secret location, but makes sense.  I'm sure the hillside of mangos will be pretty impressive as well.
@nullzero - Awesome too! Looks like I'm going to pass by Champa's this weekend to look for that Kishu and Sweetheart, and who knows what else seems yummy, since I still have to retrieve stuff in temp storage at my parents' in Montebello.

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 28, 2014, 10:18:02 AM »
@Warren - Oh, that's awesome!  I didn't realize it was a secret location, but makes sense.  I'm sure the hillside of mangos will be pretty impressive as well.
@nullzero - Awesome too! Looks like I'm going to pass by Champa's this weekend to look for that Kishu and Sweetheart, and who knows what else seems yummy, since I still have to retrieve stuff in temp storage at my parents' in Montebello.

I've got a Kishu turning orange as we speak....I hope its on par with the Gold Nugget!!!
Thinking about joining a Fruitaholics anonymous support group...Fruit addiction has taken over my life!

ricshaw

• USA, Southern California, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • ricshaw805 YouTube Channel
« Reply #31 on: October 05, 2014, 01:53:47 PM »
No tour of greenhouse.  No hillside of mangos.

CRFG field trip to the home of Southern California Mango grower Tim Thompson.

http://youtu.be/A28jjP0S9Qw

MangoFang

• Palm Springs, CA, Zone 9B
  • Palm Springs, CA
    • Riverside, Palm Springs/CA, 92264,9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 05, 2014, 05:39:47 PM »
Thanks, Ric, but I had trouble hearing the commentary.....maybe I'll try
my other computer.....so, what was the verdict on the taste of these
new mangoes???

Gary

EJO8

• Orange County, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 05, 2014, 06:17:16 PM »
No tour of greenhouse.  No hillside of mangos.

CRFG field trip to the home of Southern California Mango grower Tim Thompson.

http://youtu.be/A28jjP0S9Qw

How was the taste??

ricshaw

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 05, 2014, 06:25:15 PM »
Thanks, Ric, but I had trouble hearing the commentary.....maybe I'll try
my other computer.....so, what was the verdict on the taste of these
new mangoes???
Gary

We will have to wait for Warren (and other Mango taste experts) for the results.

I can tell you they liked the Gold Coast.

wslau

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 06, 2014, 12:07:18 AM »

On Saturday, we had the privilege of trying out two of the mangos from the Painted Mango Collection, the Tequila Sunrise and the Gold Coast.

Kensington Pride on left (for reference), Ataulfo in middle (for reference), Gold Coast on right.  Not pictured Tequila Sunsrise (we forgot to take a picture, but it did look the one on the socalplantbreeders website).

A Kensington Pride mango was used for comparison against the Gold Coast and Tequila Sunrise. Tim Thompson concurred with the brix readings I took yesterday and were similar to ones he had taken previously.

Kensington Pride: for comparison purposes

It had a nice floral scent on the outside.
Fruit was creamy and somewhat sweet, but a little watered down.  Brix score was 15.
It was virtually fiberless though. I think we can find some store bought summertime mangos that were better than this Kensington Pride. It was a large tree, but only had 15 mangos on it.

Gold Coast:
Looked like a Glenn mango from the outside. Had a nice fruity outside aroma and was fairly large in size.  The mango was soft near the skin. Brix score was 20.  Flavor was VP-like: citrusy, slightly tart, and virtually fiberless. By citrusy, I thought it had a “lemony” taste.  Another person in the group thought “orangey”....but it was definitely nothing like the LZ’s we had this summer.

Tequila Sunrise:
Beautiful red, orange, and yellow on the outside. This fruit dropped from the tree and had a little bruising damage. It had a simple outside aroma and was very small in size.  It was sweet, but lacked deep mango flavor...so no hint of citrusy mango flavor.  I would say Glenn-like in flavor.
Brix reading was 19.5. Some folks said they detected a little fiber, but it was hard to tell being slightly overripe.

In a nutshell, the mangos we tasted were good in flavor, but nothing like the new Zill’s varieties Lemon Zest and Coconut Cream that we had this year.  I’d imagine the Gold Coast and Tequila Sunrise could be a little better under different soil conditions and with a consistent fertilizer program.  If I recall correctly, Tim Thompson doesn’t fertilize his trees that are on his property.  He tailored his varieties for the commercial market for California under cooler winter climates.  These are the properties he looked for:
1)   Can survive cold weather down to 27 degF without frost protection with minimal damage
2)   Resistant to powdery mildew.  This characteristic seems to have resulted in a resistance to anthracnose also
3)   Requires little to no maintenance…other than water
4)   Tastes good
5)   For the commercial market, a red exterior color. 

The Painted Mango Collection mangos are being promoted as a late fall crop to farmers, when no other good mangos are in the market and thus can command a premium price in CA.
Also, mangos only require 60 percent of the water required as compared to CA avocados.  So the mangos are targeting avocado replacement in CA with the ongoing drought.

Warren

nch

• SoCal
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 06, 2014, 12:41:32 AM »
Thanks, Rick and Warren, for sharing.

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 06, 2014, 09:30:20 AM »
Fertilization, to increase plant and fruit mineral content--- Calcium, Potassium, Phosphate, Sulfur, Magnesium, etc --- will increase Brix and other flavor components.
Har

TheWaterbug

• Palos Verdes, CA, Sunset 23/USDA 11a, Elev. 783'
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 07, 2014, 07:58:56 PM »
Tim's choices, (the 3 except for the Pineapple), besides being currently available, happen to also give an extended season, so crossing fingers.  The Pineapple, I just want to try for the taste . . .  Am trying pineapples, although a damn subcontractor jacked my largest potted plant that was carrying a fruit.

I'm just a few miles away from you on the inland (North) side of Palos Verdes. I bought a Keitt tree and a Kent tree from Plant-O-Gram this spring, and the trees seem to be growing, albeit slowly. The Keitt currently has two small fruit on it. I also ordered two trees from Tim Thompson, and he recommended Tequila and Gold Coast for me as well.

I also have a bunch of pineapple crowns in pots, two of which are fruiting now. See my newbie post for pictures :D.
Sunset 23/USDA 11a, Elev. 783', Frost free since 8,000 BC. Plagued by squirrels, gophers, and peafowl, but coming to terms with it!

ricshaw

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 14, 2014, 02:09:36 PM »
Here is an interesting report (blog) on a CRFG group visit to Tim Thompson home.

Life from the Loam: Lessons from the Mango Professor
http://lifefromtheloam.com/2014/9542-lessons-from-the-mango-professor/

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 14, 2014, 03:23:00 PM »
Nice read, thanks ricshaw. I have seen that it mentions Tim is also working with Dragon Fruit and Prickly Pears. Be interesting to see what he has done with the prickly pear.
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

ricshaw

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 14, 2014, 04:59:12 PM »
Nice read, thanks ricshaw. I have seen that it mentions Tim is also working with Dragon Fruit and Prickly Pears. Be interesting to see what he has done with the prickly pear.

He is just starting.  I will let you know when something happens.

mbmango

• LAX, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 10, 2015, 02:42:32 PM »
Patiently awaiting news from Tim.  Luckily this winter has been mild with no significant frost damage so far.  My measuring stick is the guava which has held on to much of its leaves.

The Kishu was yummy, definitely on par with Gold Nugget, so it has now displaced one of the previously reserved mango spots.

I also just ordered a Lemon Zest from TT, so hopefully this experience goes well.  Only 4 spots left for Tim's stuff now.

Sweetheart lychee is in bloom.  It still looks rather chlorotic in its pot, so I'll have to try to figure out what may be going on there.

Papayas have been pretty neglected and the leaves are all covered in some white fungus, but have so far survived the winter unlike attempts in prior years.  I just sprayed them with some Organocide to see if it will help.  Note - I've never sprayed anything on any plant before, so I'm just learning what would be effective without going nuclear.  Which brings up my next concern on the Gold Nugget which got attacked pretty heavily by all sorts of pests last year.  After the winter "cleansing", I'm looking for more preventative measures this year.  Imidacloprid is sounding pretty reasonable at the moment, but still researching.

Tried to dig out the guava, but it was too much.  I'll just have to keep cutting it off at the ground until it gives up.  For now, it will stay as a canopy tree for the new mangos.  I'll just have to keep trimming the roots to reduce competition.  Took a cutting to keep potted, or perhaps into the side planter eventually.

Anyone use compost from http://www.rototillerguy.com/?  I don't have a truck, so picking up from the yard or local recycling center is problematic.  I've checked at the local soil yard and the prices are about the same as my usual Amend bales from HD.  Even if not the same product, rototillerguy is comparable price-wise, but includes delivery and hopefully spreading it out (I don't need the tilling).

mbmango

• LAX, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 19, 2015, 07:28:54 PM »
LZ arrived - 3gal ~5ft package

Looks cozy in there, but a mess to pull out

graft

waiting for home

I recall reading that shipments should be potted first, but what if I put up some shade cloth if I stick it in the ground directly?

mbmango

• LAX, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 19, 2015, 07:30:29 PM »
Didn't think I'd have to rotate each picture :(

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 19, 2015, 07:55:59 PM »
Please shade it if for a least a  week and a half....Please do it for me. ty.
Thinking about joining a Fruitaholics anonymous support group...Fruit addiction has taken over my life!

mbmango

• LAX, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 20, 2015, 02:17:26 PM »
the new treehouse

another sumo experiment

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 21, 2015, 03:33:04 AM »
Wow congratiulations with your GOAT lemonzest. I also want it.

I wished mr Thompson came back to the forum to show us more video's. He learned me how to be successfull in grafting.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk