Author Topic: Achachairu fruits for first time  (Read 20407 times)

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
Re: Achachairu fruits for first time
« Reply #50 on: August 09, 2017, 11:45:42 PM »
My achacharu was sourced through Bill Whitman.  It has been fruiting for probably 15 years.  I have 5 large trees with branches up to 7m long.  Bolivians buy it and like the quality.
Selling rare fruits is a speciality of mine.  I introduced salak to CR and it is a strange fruit to try but I have established a good market for it, on my own.  Every week people come looking for 'fruta serpiente'.  I have established demand for champedek, marang, and many others.  All this is accomplished through enthusiastic sampling.  Mangosteen is not very well known either.  Every week I have to sample a lot but the response is better than with most other new fruits.
Achacharu is a good fruit and it is commercial, we eat it and sell it.  But, based on my experience, it will never equal the sales, at the same price, as mangosteen. 
Durian doesn't have a very wide appeal but it makes up for it with a better price and a particularly dedicated consumer.
I would be interested to hear of someon else's experience selling Achacharu.  I am currently ripping out rambutan and planting other fruits focused on the farmers market.  I am currently planting more salak, pululan, durian, tampoi, marang, Mamey, and others.  I would plant more Achacharu if it worked better for me but I'm going to stay with the 5 trees I have.
Peter
Thanks for all the info. Do you fertilize your achachairu regularly? I think the big qualitative improvement was due in my case to better and more frequent fertilizing. But not sure. It's possible also that this summer, which was unusually dry, was also a factor in the improvement of taste of achachairu..
I think also markets and consumer demand is going to be different in different parts of the world. Your low sales in durian is good proof of that. Think how your durian sales would be if you had a large Asian population, like we do here.
Oscar

Finca La Isla

• Costa Rica, Southern Caribbean coast
    • View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #51 on: August 10, 2017, 09:45:54 AM »
I have very good soil with lots of organic material.  I am using biochar with microorganisms.  Even though my soil ph is 6.1 I am doing some amending with calcium carbonate.
I am looking forward to testing commercial sales of g. Prainiana some time in the next weeks.
Saludos

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #52 on: August 10, 2017, 04:51:19 PM »
I have very good soil with lots of organic material.  I am using biochar with microorganisms.  Even though my soil ph is 6.1 I am doing some amending with calcium carbonate.
I am looking forward to testing commercial sales of g. Prainiana some time in the next weeks.
Saludos
I'd be interested to hear how the button mangosteens sell later. Personally i like the taste of the achachairu i think more than the button mangosteen. The second sometimes leaves a bitter after taste in my mouth, from the sap maybe?
Oscar

Finca La Isla

• View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #53 on: August 10, 2017, 06:40:55 PM »
The cherapu and Achacharu both need to be pretty ripe and not picked too early.  In a way, the cherapu is kind of like a persimmon with the thin, soft skin and the texture of its pulp.  When the fruits are truly ripe I have gotten a positive response but selling crates could be different, we'll see.
I remember someone showing me a skinning technique that eliminated the sap but I hardly remember that now.  Ripeness is key as is the case with Achacharu.
It seems to me that there is not a lot of variation between seedlings in either specie either.
Peter

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #54 on: August 10, 2017, 09:21:33 PM »
The cherapu and Achacharu both need to be pretty ripe and not picked too early.  In a way, the cherapu is kind of like a persimmon with the thin, soft skin and the texture of its pulp.  When the fruits are truly ripe I have gotten a positive response but selling crates could be different, we'll see.
I remember someone showing me a skinning technique that eliminated the sap but I hardly remember that now.  Ripeness is key as is the case with Achacharu.
It seems to me that there is not a lot of variation between seedlings in either specie either.
Peter
Do you have a brix meter? At least that way we can compare sugar content? I got my starts of achachairu from Felipe in PR, so probably a different source than yours.
Oscar

Finca La Isla

• View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #55 on: August 10, 2017, 11:33:15 PM »
Yes, I have a Brix meter.  My Achacharu aren't really ready yet this season.  The fruits are mostly green still and we haven't picked to sell so far.  I could maybe find something representative.  What's the brix of your material?
It's a funny season with mangosteen almost done now, durian over early, pulusan starting before rambutan.  And very little from  lansium.  Jak, champajak, and champedek have been phenemonal.
Peter

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #56 on: August 11, 2017, 01:50:39 AM »
Yes, I have a Brix meter.  My Achacharu aren't really ready yet this season.  The fruits are mostly green still and we haven't picked to sell so far.  I could maybe find something representative.  What's the brix of your material?
It's a funny season with mangosteen almost done now, durian over early, pulusan starting before rambutan.  And very little from  lansium.  Jak, champajak, and champedek have been phenemonal.
Peter
Will do a brix test this week and post it here. Been strange season here also with lychees super early, durians early, and mangosteens seem to have skipped fruiting. According to the news this year so far has been one of the driest on record.
Oscar

Bob407

• Isla de Bieke, PR 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 11, 2017, 08:30:45 AM »
I had a chance to try them, amazing. They are much better than mangosteen in my opinion. The fruits store for a long period without loss of flavor. Two weeks sitting on a counter and still delicious.
Life is good

Jsvand5

• Ocala FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 11, 2017, 10:22:35 AM »
The only thing I don't like about the achachairu is the aborted seeds that most have in addition to the large viable seed. I'm fine with the one big seed but most that I have tried also have two smaller aborted seeds that makes it harder to eat the fruit.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #59 on: August 11, 2017, 06:17:42 PM »
The only thing I don't like about the achachairu is the aborted seeds that most have in addition to the large viable seed. I'm fine with the one big seed but most that I have tried also have two smaller aborted seeds that makes it harder to eat the fruit.
That's not the case with my tree. Most all fruits have just one seed, the very big fruits have 2 seeds. A tiny percentage has an aborted seed, and then it is only one aborted seed, usually in the very small fruits.
Oscar

lisar

• Saint James City
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: August 14, 2017, 04:30:39 PM »
Achacha very good, am wondering the brix also?

FloridaFruits

• Bradenton, Fl
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 13, 2018, 03:11:02 AM »
I used to live in Mississippi and had to buy a lot of tropical plants online. I've used this site called plantogram before and they sent me two pretty healthy tree. They often have the Achacha tree in stock but right now it's out of stock. I see a 3 gallon for $130 as of now.

https://plantogram.com/product/achacha-super-fruit-tree/
« Last Edit: April 13, 2018, 03:14:20 AM by FloridaFruits »

MarvelMango

• Bokeelia 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 13, 2018, 09:35:36 AM »
Funny they don't show a picture of any plants.
Quentin

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 13, 2018, 09:52:58 AM »
I used to live in Mississippi and had to buy a lot of tropical plants online. I've used this site called plantogram before and they sent me two pretty healthy tree. They often have the Achacha tree in stock but right now it's out of stock. I see a 3 gallon for $130 as of now.

https://plantogram.com/product/achacha-super-fruit-tree/
There is a forum member who was recently selling them from Puerto Rico for
much less. I got some last year along with a cinnamon apple from a different forum member.
Check the search and do a little research. Also a forum member was selling seeds not too long ago.