Author Topic: Maprang  (Read 4297 times)

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
Maprang
« on: September 24, 2014, 06:04:50 PM »
How is this fruit it took on my ataulfo rootstock? Cold hardy? I like how the new growth looks.

Tropicaliste

• Washington D.C. Area, US 7a
    • View Profile
Re: Maprang
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2014, 06:09:33 PM »
Wow, way to go JF. I've heard of Maprang graft on the mango, but never seen it. I can't wait to see the progress. If you ever put any for sale, put me on the customer list. :)

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2014, 06:17:45 PM »
It is shaping up as a good maprang season here with fruit developing well.The duck egg sized mayom chids on my brother's tree shouold be ripe in 6 weeks.

luc

• Mexico , Puerto Vallarta , Jalisco . 20 degr. North
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2014, 08:45:33 PM »
Good job JF , what kind of graft did you do ? I have a mature maprang , flowered this year but no fruitset so I'll be on the lookout for mango rootstock
Luc Vleeracker
Puerto Vallarta
Mexico , Pacific coast.
20 degrees north

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2014, 09:05:45 PM »
Good job JF , what kind of graft did you do ? I have a mature maprang , flowered this year but no fruitset so I'll be on the lookout for mango rootstock

Luc

I did a side veneer with the maprang and Mangifera odorata on the same tree and they both took. I'm excited to try them if they survive our climate.

MikeT

can you pls post some pix in this thread? I love to hear your comments on the fruit.

« Last Edit: September 24, 2014, 11:33:21 PM by JF »

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2014, 11:17:31 PM »
JF I have posted pictures and made comments on past threads a number of times.I think maybe I have given a few species like maprang,abius and a couple of Artocarpus too much They are not uncommon around here and there are some good selections.I don't know of anyone else who has a Wan seedling in my neck of the woods.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2014, 11:25:11 PM »
Maprang is a very nice tasting fruit. Getting them to fruit in Southern California will be a real challenge. Perhaps having them on hardier mango rootstock will help. Certainly worth a try. Don't think anyone has managed to fruit maprang in southern California. It would be a lot easier in southern Florida.
Oscar

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2014, 11:37:32 PM »
JF I have posted pictures and made comments on past threads a number of times.I think maybe I have given a few species like maprang,abius and a couple of Artocarpus too much They are not uncommon around here and there are some good selections.I don't know of anyone else who has a Wan seedling in my neck of the woods.

Thanks Mike & Oscar

I'll do a search on the forum to check out your earlier comments. The other scions that took are Mangifera odorata would this be easier to fruit in our climate?

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2014, 11:42:30 PM »

Thanks Mike & Oscar

I'll do a search on the forum to check out your earlier comments. The other scions that took are Mangifera odorata would this be easier to fruit in our climate?
Yes i think Mangifere odorata (Kuini) is going to be a whole lot easier to fruit in S. Cal. than maprang.
Oscar

Raulglezruiz

• Puerto Vallarta,Mexico. Lat 21.5 Semi Tropical
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2014, 02:31:12 PM »
JF, great news about your grafting success, please keep us updated how they do through winter time
El verde es vida!

Vernmented

• Starry Nursery/Plant Hoarder/Zone Pusher/Biochar Enthusiast
    • USA, Florida, Sarasota, 9B/10A
    • View Profile
    • Starry Nursery Instagram
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2016, 08:40:24 AM »
Hey JF. I am really interested if you Maprang and odorata are still growing on your Ataulfo rootstock. All of my Maprang seedlings seem to have really weak root systems compared to mango. I would like to give them a boost.
-Josh

Jsvand5

• Ocala FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2016, 09:05:21 AM »
Can you get a pic of the other side of he graft? I'm curious to see how thick the scion was. I'm assuming the part that is visible is the mango stock by the way the wood looks. I tried this combo years ago but the scions were really thin and failed. I'm wondering if wider scions work better.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2016, 09:39:30 AM »
Hey JF. I am really interested if you Maprang and odorata are still growing on your Ataulfo rootstock. All of my Maprang seedlings seem to have really weak root systems compared to mango. I would like to give them a boost.

Maprang seedlings are very temperamental and susceptible to root fungal issues/rot. 
- Rob

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2016, 10:33:11 AM »
WOW, way to go Frank, you are a grafting expert for sure! ;) 8)

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2016, 11:24:51 AM »
Can you get a pic of the other side of he graft? I'm curious to see how thick the scion was. I'm assuming the part that is visible is the mango stock by the way the wood looks. I tried this combo years ago but the scions were really thin and failed. I'm wondering if wider scions work better.

This was one of the trees I eliminated when I remodeled my backyard. I didn't like M. foetida or laurina
I figure this one wasn't worth preserving.....the graft ended dying after transplant.

Jsvand5

• Ocala FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2016, 11:28:28 AM »
Oh that's too bad. Did the growth flush fully harden off? I'm just curious if these are compatible long term.

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2016, 11:33:04 AM »
Oh that's too bad. Did the growth flush fully harden off? I'm just curious if these are compatible long term.

Jsvand5
Yes it had a few flush took the winter well and when I removed it in April 2016 it was blooming. I had two maprang graft on this tree that took. The rootstock I believe was ataulfo or Manila

Jsvand5

• Ocala FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2016, 03:41:11 PM »

Jsvand5
Yes it had a few flush took the winter well and when I removed it in April 2016 it was blooming. I had two maprang graft on this tree that took. The rootstock I believe was ataulfo or Manila

Nice. I'll have to give a few more of these a try.