Author Topic: Midyim Berry Worth it?  (Read 457 times)

cassowary

• Australia FNQ 13a Tropical Monsoon
    • View Profile
    • cassowaryseeds
Midyim Berry Worth it?
« on: January 07, 2023, 06:28:34 PM »
Midyim Berry- Austromyrtus Dulcis

I skeptical of the dulcis part of that name, is it really good? Is it worth growing?

I am really skeptical of the descriptions from die hard native plant promotors out there because when I was a real noob on plants I bough two Atroctocarpus fitsalanii plants because the label said they where sweet and "Australia's yellow mangosteen".
Yeah sure!!! I almost choke on the chalky poisonous flesh of the warty yellow fruit!
We call it Atractocrapus now.
CASSOWARYSEEDS.COM
Seed shop and Seed exchange

elouicious

• Houston, Tx
    • View Profile
Re: Midyim Berry Worth it?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2023, 08:39:15 PM »
there is a bush at SFBG-

I think they fruit in the summer and I will go try em

pagnr

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2023, 09:12:54 PM »
Austromyrtus Dulcis..
They are very nice, noting that they are small but prolific. Also being in the Myrtaceae, they have a slight hint of gum leaf/tea tree type factor in the flavour profile.
Something like the resinous skin flavour element of Jaboticaba, with a more Australian bush kick ?
Is that over generous ?? Most people I know like them, and can eat a lot at once.
There are a few species, some hybrids and a little known one from Cape York.

Atroctocarpus fitsalanii It is a beautiful tree, gardenia scented flowers, fruit is like a poor version of Black sapote. Seedy.
I am surprised you bought that one, they line the beach at Cow Bay and other spots along there.
Garcinia warrenii is an actual Native Mangosteen, probably better than the Yellow Mangosteen. I think you can find it on the rainforest boardwalk, and other similar spots.

cassowary

• Australia FNQ 13a Tropical Monsoon
    • View Profile
    • cassowaryseeds
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2023, 12:53:20 AM »
Yeah I bought the Atractocrapus when we first came here so didn't know it was every where.

Midyim berry sounds pretty good to me, will try and find it :D

Thanks for the location elouicious :D
CASSOWARYSEEDS.COM
Seed shop and Seed exchange