Author Topic: Methods FOR Citrus Tree Growing Developed For Greening Areas  (Read 1840 times)

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
Methods FOR Citrus Tree Growing Developed For Greening Areas
« on: March 23, 2015, 10:42:44 AM »
Although there is no cure for HLB, scientists and the citrus industry have done extensive research and have successfully developed effective methods for combating the effects of greening. Homeowners who wish to grow backyard citrus can duplicate these methods in order to ensure the long-term success of their trees.

These methods include:

•Controlling the Asian psyllid by using a systemic root drench containing imidacloprid every two months.

•Regular, ongoing applications of a high quality, controlled release fertilizer.

•Regular applications of a foliar fertilizer developed for citrus.

•Providing consistent irrigation, proper pruning, sunny location, good drainage and maintaining the root area free of weeds, grass and mulch.

•Elimination of any lakeview or orange jasmine plants on the property because this plant is a host plant for the Asian citrus psyllid.

All citrus varieties are susceptible to greening and serious root damage occurs even before the appearance of the obvious symptoms.
Millet
« Last Edit: March 23, 2015, 10:53:45 AM by Millet »

sugar land dave

• sugar land, tx Zone 9a
    • View Profile
Re: Methods FOR Citrus Tree Growing Developed For Greening Areas
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2015, 04:52:40 PM »
I'm in one of the new quarantine areas, but my trees are good.  My own solution works FROM the roots.  Universities in California, Florida, and Kansas have been given multi-million dollar grants to study citrus greening for possible solutions.
 http://yoho.house.gov/media-center/press-releases/university-of-florida-receives-4-out-of-7-grants-by-the-usda

These folks are looking at dna splicing, root grafting, and other exotic fixes.   My treatment appears to work just fine, and is relatively inexpensive to make so we shall see if there is any interest in researching cheap vs expensive treatments (everyone raves at the quality of the fruit).  As an aside, because of the way it works, my treatment also may help againt fire blight and fig mosaic, but I honestly have not had time to test there.

PS:  It also may well help the olive trees. http://www.slate.com/blogs/moneybox/2015/03/24/olive_tree_blight_xylella_fastidiosa_is_threatening_millions_of_groves_in.html

Seems there may be even more at stake:

Xylella is an exotic pathogen common in the Americas and the Middle East, which is thought to have been brought to Europe by infected insects carried with plant commodities, or travelling as stowaways.

“There seems to be a link between the changing patterns of global trade and the spread of this disease,” Stancanelli said.

Once established, the bacteria spreads via fluid-feeding insects and its varying strains have a notoriously large alternative host plant range, affecting oak, sycamore, citrus, cherry, almond, grapefruit, peach, oleander and forest trees.

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2015/jan/08/europes-olive-trees-threatened-spread-deadly-bacteria

« Last Edit: March 24, 2015, 11:10:55 PM by sugar land dave »

Waiting

• Northern San Joaquin Valley, California
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2015, 05:32:31 PM »
Are you going to share your method with us?

sugar land dave

• sugar land, tx Zone 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2015, 10:06:50 PM »
Are you going to share your method with us?
I posted to let the fine folks here know that it is not impossible.  There will be a time when the best solutions become known.  In the meantime consider the below.

Each university is getting several million dollars to research.  Each one will have a theory that will limit their field of vision.  If any of them finds anything they will patent it if the grant allows them to do so.  Which of them do you think would like to give up their research money for an already existing product?  None I am betting.  Realistically, it takes about 10 million for me to lock up the production science for two key ingredients which I have bought previously, but may see them go private if the Chinese complete a purchase of the manufacturer for their own purposes.  There may be a work-around, but I have not researched that yet.  Other ingredients are more common, and I don't worry about their availability.  I have stocked enough ingredients for my own needs plus future reseach and initial sales if needed.  I have two formulas and several packaging concentrations including solid and liquid soluble forms.

I started a patent, but realized that no one will duplicate my formula without me putting it out into the patent office for all foreign agents to read and copy, so I will not complete the patent for others to steal.  I will wait and see how the wind blows. When the industry becomes desperate enough to look beyond the universities, they will find me ready to work with the trees while reducing the needed percentage of npk. 
« Last Edit: March 25, 2015, 11:49:55 AM by sugar land dave »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk