Author Topic: Durian grove is complete  (Read 3327 times)

Jsvand5

• Ocala FL
    • View Profile
Durian grove is complete
« on: April 17, 2015, 07:04:28 PM »
Got a couple more grafted durian today. I have 3 in the ground now and one extra in a pot that I'm not sure what to do with quite yet. I think durian must be really hard to keep healthy looking in pots. I can't seem to keep the foliage on my potted ones looking nice and the grafted ones that I got in this week seem similar. The one in the center  of the greenhouse is the one that has been in the ground for a few months and the leaves look much healthier. I'm hoping a little fertilizer and just being in the ground will get the other two to put out new healthy growth.

The one in the back of the greenhouse is a variety called "Kunyit" (D-197). The center tree I believe is a Zibethinus x graveleons from Puerto Rico, and I'm not sure on the front one but it may be the same as the center tree.

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile

murahilin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Durian grove is complete
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2015, 07:09:38 PM »
So is this the official beginning of the who can fruit a durian in the ground in Florida contest?

Jsvand5

• Ocala FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2015, 07:23:20 PM »
So is this the official beginning of the who can fruit a durian in the ground in Florida contest?

Ha, I'll be happy to just keep them alive. The one in the center did make it through the winter in ground fine though. It has actually grown really well since being grafted. That one has two grafts on it. I did one and PJ did one. I think I might have to remove the lower graft eventually. I think eventually it will be shaded out but the upper graft.

I'll order some of the bacillus subtilis. The soil is mostly sand so I'm hoping I won't have a problem with phytophthora but I'll order it anyway.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2015, 07:29:15 PM by Jsvand5 »

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2015, 07:31:55 PM »
D197  is a good Malaysian variety but I don't think it enjoys cool weather.They usually look much better quickly when they are planted in the ground.

Jsvand5

• Ocala FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2015, 07:34:31 PM »
D197  is a good Malaysian variety but I don't think it enjoys cool weather.They usually look much better quickly when they are planted in the ground.

Well I guess that's bad news on the D197. I keep the greenhouse above 60 though so hopefully that will be ok.

Droshi

• Raleigh NC - USDA Zone 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2015, 07:38:16 PM »
As I understand, durian likes to have a big tap root. Probably why in pots it won't do as well as in the ground. Zibethinus also gets quite large before it fruits I believe.

Best chance of fruit + flavor I think will be the zibethinus x graveolens cross.

Another idea is using different rootstocks to try to control phyto. Biggest problem that I see is just access to all these species in the US. I think this is really what is preventing major development in getting durian to fruit in sub-tropical climates.

Why don't we extend the contest to all of the continental US? Aren't some others in California trying?

Jsvand5

• Ocala FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2015, 08:21:05 PM »
As I understand, durian likes to have a big tap root. Probably why in pots it won't do as well as in the ground. Zibethinus also gets quite large before it fruits I believe.

Best chance of fruit + flavor I think will be the zibethinus x graveolens cross.

Another idea is using different rootstocks to try to control phyto. Biggest problem that I see is just access to all these species in the US. I think this is really what is preventing major development in getting durian to fruit in sub-tropical climates.

Why don't we extend the contest to all of the continental US? Aren't some others in California trying?

I'm planning to add some Graveolens rootstock to all of these trees. Supposedly Graveolens is less susceptable to phytophthora. My problem so far is that all of the seeds I have had sent from overseas come in rotten even when packed perfectly and I get the seeds in about a week. Not sure why. I'm counting on Oscar to come through for me later in the year. I ordered some D. Lowianus seeds a few months ago but they were rotten too. They are supposed to even more resistant than Graveolens.

murahilin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2015, 08:24:08 PM »
I'm planning to add some Graveolens rootstock to all of these trees. Supposedly Graveolens is less susceptable to phytophthora. My problem so far is that all of the seeds I have had sent from overseas come in rotten even when packed perfectly and I get the seeds in about a week. Not sure why. I'm counting on Oscar to come through for me later in the year. I ordered some D. Lowianus seeds a few months ago but they were rotten too. They are supposed to even more resistant than Graveolens.

The lowianus seeds I received were in excellent condition. Unfortunately, they were not for me so I forwarded them on and they did not make it.

If I come across any again, I'll let you know.

Jsvand5

• Ocala FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2015, 09:13:37 PM »

The lowianus seeds I received were in excellent condition. Unfortunately, they were not for me so I forwarded them on and they did not make it.

If I come across any again, I'll let you know.

Thanks. Not sure what happened with mine. They made it here fast and were packed great. But were  mush. Same thing happened with my graveleons seeds. I figured maybe they got too cold somewhere since it was still near winter when they were sent.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2015, 09:51:55 PM by Jsvand5 »

Vernmented

• Starry Nursery/Plant Hoarder/Zone Pusher/Biochar Enthusiast
    • USA, Florida, Sarasota, 9B/10A
    • View Profile
    • Starry Nursery Instagram
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2016, 10:03:44 AM »
All I want for Christmas is updated pictures of a Florida durian grove.  ;D  Best of luck! Somebody is bound to fruit Durio in Florida sometime within a decade.
-Josh

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk