Author Topic: Nutrient deficiency in potted citrus  (Read 1790 times)

mrtexas

• USA, Sugarland,TX 9B
    • View Profile
    • MrTexasCitrus
Nutrient deficiency in potted citrus
« on: October 30, 2015, 02:17:19 PM »
OK is this magnesium deficiency? Have several pots that look like this:

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
Re: Nutrient deficiency in potted citrus
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2015, 03:13:28 PM »
Not typical leaf symptoms for magnesium, but maybe.  Normally the leaf symptoms for magnesium deficiency show up on the older leaves. Your tree has more deficiency symptoms on the newer leaves. Also not the typical green delta shape  of magnesium.   Really not sure on that one.  However it does look closer to magnesium deficiency than any thing else. - Millet

Johnny Eat Fruit

• So. California, Huntington Beach. Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2015, 09:42:31 PM »
Lightly apply some Azomite (Rock Dust) to the ground just below the canopy. This will resolve any mineral deficiency in your trees. I applied it several times in 2015 and all of my trees have lush green growth. Very effective indeed.

Johnny 

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2015, 10:24:10 PM »
I have never heard of Azomite, so I looked it up on Google.  I was surprised to find it so interesting, and potentially promising. .  Anyway I might order a bag and try it out. The chemical name for Azomite is Hydrated Sodium Calcium Aluminosilicate (HSCAS), so I am a little concerned about the sodium and aluminum content.   I'll have to look into concentration of these to elements.  If you use Epsom Salts (Magnesium Sulfate) use one tablespoon per gallon of WARM water and apply it to the containers medium.. Epsom Salts does not dissolve well in cool water.  - Millet

Here is some information on Azomite:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Azomite
« Last Edit: October 30, 2015, 10:30:40 PM by Millet »

sugar land dave

• sugar land, tx Zone 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2015, 12:24:23 AM »
The picture res is too low for me to blow up for a better look, but I have seen something like this before.  Excess boron, excess sodium, potassium deficiency, heat stress, or biuret toxicity from urea could make the leaves look like this, but being where we both are.....

We are not allowed to transport trees here because of the quarantine so  I will need a better picture.  You are welcome to vist my little home lab and small test mini grove where I would be happy to show and tell.  Being retired I can meet weekdays or weekends, and we are fairly close to one another.  I am confident we can either help your tree or kill it absolutely dead, how is that for a deal?  ;)
« Last Edit: October 31, 2015, 12:55:09 AM by sugar land dave »