Author Topic: Red lime  (Read 11169 times)

Galka

• USA, FL, OCALA, 9A
    • View Profile
Red lime
« on: November 09, 2015, 07:50:07 PM »
My red limes are getting yellow. I wonder, when is the best time to pick them? Never had them before.

« Last Edit: November 17, 2015, 10:13:04 PM by Galka »

Tom

• USA, Alabama,Montgomery, zone 8
    • View Profile
Re: Red lime.
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2015, 08:00:11 PM »
I would try one right away ! Never know until you try one and you have plenty to try ! Tom

GregW

• United States, Alabama, Birmingham
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2015, 08:28:07 PM »
I don't know, but it looks like you have a good crop.
My Meyer lemons are starting to turn yellow in central Alabama right now. I think I'm going to let them stay on the tree until the first or second week of December.

Galka

• USA, FL, OCALA, 9A
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2015, 08:42:34 PM »
I will find the best looking one and pick or wait another week or so.

GregW

• United States, Alabama, Birmingham
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2015, 09:00:06 PM »
Wow, the second picture really does them justice.
If I wanted to purchase a red lime, is there a specific one to ask for?

cory

• USA, NJ, Zone 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2015, 10:08:16 PM »
Yes, they look so beautiful Galka.  Now I would Like A tree too.  I have never seen one for sale.  Your variagated tree fruit looks nice too.
Cory

Galka

• USA, FL, OCALA, 9A
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2015, 10:29:51 PM »
Thanks guys. GregW, I don't know about specific one but the name on a tag is Red Lime. Excalibur had them but they don't ship. Harris citrus may have one, I am not sure. But you can call them and ask. I got mine at Home Depot this spring. I didn't expect it to have any fruit this year but it was pushing new grows and started to flower and set some nice fruits.

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2015, 06:34:58 AM »
I was looking for one of these but excalibur seems to be the only source.  Is it legal for the general populate (non-businesses) to ship citrus *out* of Florida?  To a non-citrus state... Pennsylvania. 

I know Harris ships out of Florida but I dunno if they need special permission.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2015, 06:52:55 AM »
Those fruit are definitely ready to pick.  They can be picked with some orange coloration or fully colored.

A RedLime will fruit heavily at any size (smallest any grower sells iscs 7 gallon ) to the piint you need to watch it as the weight of the fruit can easily strip a young branch from the tree.  It is a true everbearing citrus, as long as you harvest the ripe fruit.  Unlike some citrus, it is not beneficial to leave them hanging on the tree for too long once they are ripe.  If you do, they hsve a tendency to dry out.  The skin has no pith, it is fully edible (same as the Centennial Kumquat ) and has a sweetish taste.

It is illegal for the general populous to ship out of the State of Florida.   
- Rob

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2015, 10:28:31 AM »
Is there any legal way to get a red lime out of florida?

"Citrus plants may leave Florida only if certified by USDA and originating from a nursery operating under compliance with Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services Division of Plant Industry (DPI).  Each citrus plant must be individually tagged at the nursery, and identity of the plant and the nursery must be maintained throughout movement to final destination. See Rule Chapter 5B-62, F.A.C. for details."

Are Excalibur's trees certified?  As in... could you buy one there and ship it out assuming all tagging is preserved?  Or seeds, maybe?

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2015, 10:53:54 AM »
No, Excalibur cant ship.  I believe the law is interpreted to mean certified citrus growers, not nurseries reselling plants from a certified grower.  That goes for all plant material, including seeds, not just plants.  I dont believe the seeds would come true from the Red Lime either.
- Rob

Galka

• USA, FL, OCALA, 9A
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2015, 11:14:10 AM »
Here's some pics of fruit.

Galka

• USA, FL, OCALA, 9A
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2015, 11:32:48 AM »
Those fruit are definitely ready to pick.  They can be picked with some orange coloration or fully colored.

A RedLime will fruit heavily at any size (smallest any grower sells iscs 7 gallon ) to the piint you need to watch it as the weight of the fruit can easily strip a young branch from the tree.  It is a true everbearing citrus, as long as you harvest the ripe fruit.  Unlike some citrus, it is not beneficial to leave them hanging on the tree for too long once they are ripe.  If you do, they hsve a tendency to dry out.  The skin has no pith, it is fully edible (same as the Centennial Kumquat ) and has a sweetish taste.

It is illegal for the general populous to ship out of the State of Florida.
Thanks Rob. I tasted this fruit this morning. Well, what can I say about it? It's different. The smell and taste. The skin in my opinion is not edible, not really for me at least. It is sweetish but too "spicy" like regular orange skin which I would not eat. The fruit inside looks like a mandarin but tastes more like a lime with a little of mandarin taste. I couldn't eat it like a centennial kumquat (which I like very much when it's fully ripe). But I could finish it after I ate one miracle berry. I did like the taste then. So now I am thinking what to do with all the fruits. :D I am going to make a jam with a part of them. What else?

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2015, 11:39:43 AM »
lime rickeys
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2015, 11:55:32 AM »
Limeade - Millet

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2015, 12:44:15 PM »
It is a cross between a lime and kumquat.  The skin may not be for "you" but it is no different than eating a whole kumquat.

Things to make/use woth Red Limes:

"Red Lime" pie in the same style as a Key Lime Pie (will taste more like a creamsicle, similar to making the pie with calamondin)
Squeeze in Iced Tea
Over fish, checken, pork (Cuban pork roast)...however it will not work for ceviche (must use Key Lime)
Alcoholic drinks
- Rob

BahamaDan

• BHS, Zone 12b Subtropics
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2015, 01:17:18 PM »
That's a very healthy looking tree Galka, what size pot is that and what do you feed it?

Galka

• USA, FL, OCALA, 9A
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2015, 07:14:48 PM »
It is a cross between a lime and kumquat.  The skin may not be for "you" but it is no different than eating a whole kumquat.

Things to make/use woth Red Limes:

"Red Lime" pie in the same style as a Key Lime Pie (will taste more like a creamsicle, similar to making the pie with calamondin)
Squeeze in Iced Tea
Over fish, checken, pork (Cuban pork roast)...however it will not work for ceviche (must use Key Lime)
Alcoholic drinks
Thanks Rob. I am going to use the limes for a tea and in cooking meat and fish. Didn't think about Key Lime Pie. Can I freeze them somehow? So I can use them for drinks? 

Galka

• USA, FL, OCALA, 9A
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2015, 07:21:39 PM »
That's a very healthy looking tree Galka, what size pot is that and what do you feed it?
I got it from store in a good shape and fed it a couple of times with the citrus fertilizer I had. Don't remember which one. The squirrel got to it and destroyed the bag so I had to replace it with the plastic box and threw away the bag. The tree is in a 5 gallon pot.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2015, 08:31:00 PM »
Yes, juice the limes in ice cube tray and freeze.  Then put in sealed or ziplock.  You can also zest it and freeze the zest.
- Rob

Galka

• USA, FL, OCALA, 9A
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2015, 10:41:45 PM »
Thank you Rob.

Galka

• USA, FL, OCALA, 9A
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2015, 08:19:39 PM »
I had another red lime to taste. This time I didn't eat it with the skin and it was much better. You can peel it easily.

Galka

• USA, FL, OCALA, 9A
    • View Profile
Re: Red lime
« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2015, 01:46:19 PM »
Guys, look at the color difference. The Red lime looks "red" comparing to the Pomelo yellow skin.  :)

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2015, 03:46:15 PM »
Galka, the "Red" lime certainly looks a deeper  yellow then the Pomelo, but I fail to see any actual red.  Anyway, what a wonderful tree you have. -  Millet

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2015, 04:45:51 PM »
Its not red nor will it ever get red.  It will turn a very deep but distinct orange at its ripest point.
- Rob