Author Topic: Winter Light Recommendation Including Link  (Read 1783 times)

GregW

• United States, Alabama, Birmingham
    • View Profile
Winter Light Recommendation Including Link
« on: November 16, 2015, 01:23:13 PM »
Millet, Or Anyone with lighting experience,

Can you look at these lights on Amazon and make a recommendation as to which if any would be good for my Meyer lemon tree?
I have built an insulated (minimal) 6 ft a 6 ft cube on a covered portion of my deck. My plan is to roll the tree out daily when the temperature goes above freezing.

I'm afraid that rolling the tree out everyday is going to get old in a hurry, so I was considering adding a light. I plan to add a small electric space heater to keep the temperature around 34 deg on the cold nights.

There are a variety of light fixtures on the Amazon page. From 2 ft 2 tube all the way to 4 ft 12 tubes. I would like to buy the most economical fixture that will provide the correct light intensity.

Sorry I forgot to add the link. Here it is:
Here is the link to the light (s):
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002JQBQZQ

Thanks
Greg
« Last Edit: November 16, 2015, 08:56:10 PM by GregW »

SonnyCrockett

• Charleston, SC (8b)
    • View Profile
Re: Winter Light Recommendation Including Link
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2015, 07:56:38 AM »
The light size depends on the size of your tree.  I did a little reading about this recently.  This website had a lot of good info about different types of grow lights and selecting the right size light.

http://www.jasons-indoor-guide-to-organic-and-hydroponics-gardening.com/grow-light-selector.html

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2015, 11:34:38 AM »
I have a 54 watt T5 tube for seedlings. It's a hydrofarm model and was on sale at the time.

If you don't care about using it for general lighting, LED lights will be much more efficient for converting electricity to light your plants can use.

Sorry I don't have personal experience so I don't want to recommend one. Several members here have used them. Maybe see if people outside the citrus forum will chime in.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2015, 11:50:56 AM »
I certainly am not a light expert.   I chose to use a Metal Halide light source in order to obtain growth on two of my smaller containerized trees, and one in ground tree during the winter months. Currently under light are a Dekopon (in ground tree) plus a Red finger lime & Meiwa Kumquat , both of which are in containers. - Millet

GregW

• United States, Alabama, Birmingham
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2015, 06:36:36 PM »
Thanks everyone. It's hard to make a decision on what type light to use. The compounding factors are largely monetary. When I've only got one tree that's probably worth around $100 at the most, I have to really talk myself into spending a lot of money to save it.

The smartest move to make would be to simply send it over to my family's greenhouses about 20 miles from my home. I have done this many times over the years with my other trees. I hate to do this because it will be gone for probably 4 or 5 months. I really enjoy taking  care of the tree and will miss having it.

I think at this point I will try to roll it outside on days above freezing and see how that works for now.

Thanks again

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2015, 09:54:26 PM »
The best of luck. - Millet