Author Topic: Some new fruit seedling pictures  (Read 4909 times)

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Some new fruit seedling pictures
« on: January 06, 2016, 12:11:04 AM »
I have been busy germinating plants during the winter. Been getting good results with a 137watt LED UFO inside a custom mylar enclosure. Here are some of the seedlings anywhere from 1 week to 3 months old.

Quararibea cordata

Garcinia paniculata

Coinosicys macranthus

Sterculia quadrifida

Stenocereus queretaroensis

Acanthosicyos horridus

So far everything is growing great. I am getting much faster growth under LED light 18hr/6hr off then natural light in the window sill (about 4hr direct and the rest of the hrs not direct)
« Last Edit: January 06, 2016, 04:26:42 PM by nullzero »
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
Re: Some new fruit seedling pictures
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2016, 12:32:36 AM »
Nice pics!

Btw I think Roy is calling the Garcinia paniculata, G. Sopsopia instead.

They are really easy to separate, not sensitive to root stress...I separated a community pot, and roots got damaged pretty bad...I just cut the leaves in half and put them in the shade and watered daily....they didn't show any stress.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2016, 06:40:49 AM by FlyingFoxFruits »
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2016, 01:18:59 AM »
Nice pics!

Btw I think Roy is calling the Garcinia paniculata, G. Sopsopia instead.

They are really easy to separate, not sensitive to root stress...I separated a community pot, and roots for damaged pretty bad...I just cut the leaves in half and put them in the shade and watered daily....they didn't show any stress.

Adam,

Thanks for the tips with the Garcinia sopsopia. I plan to seperate in a few weeks, I ordered another grow tent and need to set it up. Ran out of room pretty fast lol. Still like 100 other things I want to get around to germinating.

stuartdaly88

• Phytomaniac
  • Zone 9b/10a
    • South Africa, Gauteng
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2016, 03:16:41 AM »
Thanks for the pics! Looking great:)

would like to know what size area is the 137watt servicing and what distance from the tops are you keeping it?
Patience is bitter, but its fruit is sweet.
-Jean-Jacques Rousseau

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2016, 09:34:34 AM »
Null, nice looking plants! I just looked up Stenocereus q and it looks like a great cactus fruit. Are your seeds from a selected variety? This document explains that it may be relatively slow growing compared to Opuntia so I wonder if it would benefit from being grafted onto another species? Keep up the great growing!

Simon

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2016, 02:16:46 PM »

would like to know what size area is the 137watt servicing and what distance from the tops are you keeping it?

Its a 20 gal barrel like this with a cut out for the UFO. WIDTH INCHES15-3/4, HEIGHT INCHES28-1/4. I then coated the inside walls with diamond mylar and spray painted the outside with black paint. Made a cut out in the front and added velcro on thick diamond mylar to open and close the grow area.

The UFO is actually a 138watt, this model from ebay http://www.ebay.com/itm/138W-UFO-LED-Grow-Light-Full-Spectrum-Hydroponic-Plants-Lamp-Panel-Veg-Flower-/161584623575?hash=item259f31afd7:g:MusAAOSwPcVVyayE

The actual wattage is like 89W (I measured with plug in device).

http://www.globalindustrial.com/p/material-handling/drum-barrel/drums-pails/skolnik-20-gallon-closed-tight-head-plastic-drum-with-double-handle-poly20thnat-natural?infoParam.campaignId=T9F&gclid=CjwKEAiAk7O0BRD9_Ka2w_PhwSkSJAAmKswx4j4VXeoSeZhnuXQqXM6yQeyHQq-m7zYj7sERS9pF0xoCqHXw_wcB

Null, nice looking plants! I just looked up Stenocereus q and it looks like a great cactus fruit. Are your seeds from a selected variety? This document explains that it may be relatively slow growing compared to Opuntia so I wonder if it would benefit from being grafted onto another species? Keep up the great growing!

Its a selection called Pitaya de Jalisco (Cultivated variety from the vicinity of Jalisco I would think.) http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=16454.msg208704#msg208704

I may be getting seeds soon from Pitaya de Zacatecas, which might be another selection of Stenocereus queretaroensis or something from the Stenocereus complex. Supposedly Pitaya de Zacatecas is one of the best Pitayas, people from around Mexico tour the area just for the Pitayas. The season is in May into June in the area. I want to graft some of the seedlings but I am a little wary since I only have 5 right now.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2016, 02:19:54 PM by nullzero »

buddyguygreen

• Keeper of Earth
  • Zone Creator
    • Citrus Ridge, FL,
    • View Profile
    • Knowledge of the Masters
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2016, 03:11:34 PM »
Everything is looking great, Nice variety. What type of soil do you use when sprouting your seeds.

fsanchez2002

• FedHomestead
    • Homestead, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2016, 03:52:32 PM »

Its a 20 gal barrel like this with a cut out for the UFO. WIDTH INCHES15-3/4, HEIGHT INCHES28-1/4. I then coated the inside walls with diamond mylar and spray painted the outside with black paint. Made a cut out in the front and added velcro on thick diamond mylar to open and close the grow area.

The UFO is actually a 138watt, this model from ebay http://www.ebay.com/itm/138W-UFO-LED-Grow-Light-Full-Spectrum-Hydroponic-Plants-Lamp-Panel-Veg-Flower-/161584623575?hash=item259f31afd7:g:MusAAOSwPcVVyayE

The actual wattage is like 89W (I measured with plug in device).

http://www.globalindustrial.com/p/material-handling/drum-barrel/drums-pails/skolnik-20-gallon-closed-tight-head-plastic-drum-with-double-handle-poly20thnat-natural?infoParam.campaignId=T9F&gclid=CjwKEAiAk7O0BRD9_Ka2w_PhwSkSJAAmKswx4j4VXeoSeZhnuXQqXM6yQeyHQq-m7zYj7sERS9pF0xoCqHXw_wcB

Its a selection called Pitaya de Jalisco (Cultivated variety from the vicinity of Jalisco I would think.) http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=16454.msg208704#msg208704

I may be getting seeds soon from Pitaya de Zacatecas, which might be another selection of Stenocereus queretaroensis or something from the Stenocereus complex. Supposedly Pitaya de Zacatecas is one of the best Pitayas, people from around Mexico tour the area just for the Pitayas. The season is in May into June in the area. I want to graft some of the seedlings but I am a little wary since I only have 5 right now.

That's great congrats! I've been trying some germinating/growing experiments myself in a larger 10x10 tent outdoors, so your tips are super useful. Two questions for you and the tropical germinating experts out there on the other parts of the equation:
1. How are you controlling the temperature (what's the ideal temperature and how you keep it there)?
2. How are you controlling the humidity (of both the growing media and the air)?

I never know how much is too wet on the soil and I also have a problem with air temperatures getting too hot (?) during the day (100F) and maybe too low (?) at night for tropical germination (72F)
Federico
Homestead, FL

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2016, 04:46:58 PM »
Everything is looking great, Nice variety. What type of soil do you use when sprouting your seeds.

I have been trying different types of soil. The Garcinia sopsopia is in 100% coir with some oscomote added. The Stenocereus queretaroensis is in a Black Gold seedling mix.

http://www.amazon.com/Black-Gold-1311002-16-Quart-Seedling/dp/B004NS7X9Q/ref=sr_1_2?s=lawn-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1452111581&sr=1-2&keywords=black+gold+seedling+mix

The other Quararibea cordata, Coinosicys macranthus, Sterculia quadrifida  are using Miracle grow seedling starting mix. http://www.amazon.com/Miracle-Gro-Starting-currently-Northeastern-Midwestern/dp/B00GTDIDBU

So here is the breakdown, the straight coir seemed to work really well with the Garcinia sopsopia, but I believe this is due the species liking more moisture (I added no perlite). I start a lot of the seedlings in small plastic bags like 2 inch x 1 inch. Then replant them in larger containers.

The coir is a lot heavier mix and I noticed some seedlings don't respond well with it (either the salinity is too high, the mix is too damp, or the PH is not desired). I sprouted some papaya and lost them all in the straight coir, I think its because the soil was too damp and it caused some bacteria issue. I think the peatmoss has the advantage with bacterial and mold prevention because of its PH.

The Black Gold seedling mix is good stuff but its pretty pricey. I splurged a little on the seedling mixes, but mostly because I wanted to insure I got good survival on hard to find seeds. I like the the drainage and the perlite levels of this mix, its also a better mix for all Cacti and plants which dont like their feet too wet.

The Miracle grow mix seems to be working well with the subtropical/tropical plants. I have not found any negatives so far, it does have less perlite. Its more of a fluffy peat mix with higher water retention. I would just be careful about moisture levels.

My plan is to phase the sprouted seedlings into a coir/pine bark/perlite/biochar mix in 1 to 3 gal size containers. Then up them from there. The economics of the seedling mixes are on the pricey side, one could buy peatmoss in bulk and add perlite, some trace mineral dust, and a slow release fertlizer in low amounts.

1. How are you controlling the temperature (what's the ideal temperature and how you keep it there)?

I control the temperature with indoor ambient temps. Since the indoor growing area is in my room, I try to keep my room temps between 60f to 75f. I have about a 5F to 10F increase in temp inside the grow area due to the LED. I have an exhaust fan but have turned it up because the temperature was dropping with the humidity inside. In the summer time I am going to turn on the fan, because the room temp averages around 75f to 85f. I also hang plastic bags with shoe string from the top of the area closer to the LED light sometimes to increase the temperature of the medium.

2. How are you controlling the humidity (of both the growing media and the air)

Humidity by air is controlled by a 120mm fan which I have attached to the indoor grow area. Its turned on to vent the air if the humidity levels are too high or temperature is too high. However for germinating higher humidity is usually a good thing. So I have it turned off right now with just an opened vent area. When I am not germinating seeds I like turning in the fan at least for half the day so the plants get adapted to lower humidity levels.

The soil moisture levels are a little tricker, I usually get use to what the weight should be (its a trial by error kind of thing and knowing what the right moisture level should be by touch). What I suggest is take the seedling mix about 4oz or less and soak it in water. Then squeeze it a about 3 times to remove the excess water. What you are left with is close to a desired moisture level for subtropical and tropical plants.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2016, 04:55:01 PM by nullzero »

WGphil

• Winter Garden Florida 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2016, 07:12:07 AM »
Thanks for the tips.

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2016, 10:10:59 PM »
I have been adding more plants, I finally went and bought 3 cu. ft of peatmoss and 2 cu ft of large size perlite. I have been getting the seed starter mix for convenience. My volume requirements expanded, so I figured it was time to pick up the bags. I mixed in some Yucca powder and about 70% peatmoss 30% perlite. In the new mix. I also watered the plants with some kelp powder, humic acid, and amino acids (14-0-0), mycogrow, and some brown sugar mixed water.

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2016, 08:54:58 PM »
Took a picture that is easier to ID the seedlings without the LED light.

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2016, 03:41:30 PM »
Update with some growth pictures;

Overview shot (Got to pack in as much as I can in 2x2x3  :D

Garcinia sopsopia seedlings

Plinia phitrantha (Jaboticaba Costada)

Opuntia sp. Torrance PCH#1 in the corner and PARL 246 on the right wall. With Nara melon growing inbetween.

Quararibea cordata seedling

Stamvrug seedling on the left and Eugenia selloi on the right

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk