Author Topic: Rambutan vs. Pulisan  (Read 15853 times)

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
Re: Rambutan vs. Pulisan
« Reply #50 on: September 01, 2017, 07:12:05 PM »
http://rfcarchives.org.au/Next/CaringForTrees/MinTemps3-88.htm
The Australian experience with minimum tolerable temperatures is listed in the link. Obviously species like breadfruit can survive lower temps briefly.
That's a handy reference chart. Ofcourse a species being able to survive a certain temperature does not necessarily mean it will fruit if consistently exposed to such temperatures.
Oscar

suhaila

• fruit lover
    • india
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 01, 2017, 11:02:36 PM »
pulasan

Jose Spain

• Marbella, Spain. Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 02, 2017, 03:50:35 AM »
Jose, I think it's worth a try the rambutan in your area. You would be the first? They can take temperatures in the 60's, but not in the 50's for long. They will fruit here at elevation 1500 to 2000 ft. (depending on area) about 500 to 600 meters, which is quite cool, not tropical. Coconuts and breadfruit will not fruit there, so rambutan is more adaptable than people think.
There is a close relative of rambutan grown in NE India that can even take some frost. Forum member Roy posted about it. That would be an excellent one for you to try. Might also be a good rootstock for rambutan in marginal areas.
This all needs more experimentation.

Do you remember the name of that relative of rambutan from India?

Jose Spain

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 02, 2017, 03:52:25 AM »
The Australian experience with minimum tolerable temperatures is listed in the link. Obviously species like breadfruit can survive lower temps briefly.
That's a handy reference chart. Ofcourse a species being able to survive a certain temperature does not necessarily mean it will fruit if consistently exposed to such temperatures.

Wait a minute, mangosteen +3?? I thought the plant can't handle less than 10ºC.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #54 on: September 02, 2017, 05:05:08 AM »

Can handle +3C for very short period of time. Can't handle 10C for any extended period of time.
Oscar

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #55 on: September 02, 2017, 05:13:58 AM »
Jose, I think it's worth a try the rambutan in your area. You would be the first? They can take temperatures in the 60's, but not in the 50's for long. They will fruit here at elevation 1500 to 2000 ft. (depending on area) about 500 to 600 meters, which is quite cool, not tropical. Coconuts and breadfruit will not fruit there, so rambutan is more adaptable than people think.
There is a close relative of rambutan grown in NE India that can even take some frost. Forum member Roy posted about it. That would be an excellent one for you to try. Might also be a good rootstock for rambutan in marginal areas.

Tadal. I have a few plants growing here now. 
http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=10320.msg132218#msg132218
Oscar

mikemap

• Puna and Hilo, Hawai'i
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 02, 2017, 03:36:20 PM »
My thoughts are fairly close to Mike T here. I hesitate to make a generalization about these species. While everyone I know in Hawai'i says pulasan is clearly better than rambutan, I guess I'm the only one to rank the best rambutan higher than the best pulasan. Having worked for several rambutan orchards, I've consumed literally thousands of pounds of rambutan and tasted a good range of varieties. I don't think there's any other fruit in the world I could eat unlimited amounts of and never grow tired of. I've had unlimited access to superior lychee and longan while harvesting them, and after I stuff myself with them I get tired of them. But I have never gotten tired of rambutan. The best rambutan varieties have a complex flavor and a perfect texture. That slight firmness compared to pulasan and other Sapindaceae is a plus for me. That said, during a taste test comparison of several distinct pulasan varieties at the local research station in Hilo last year, everyone present, myself included, were completely blown away by the quality of the fruit and it proves that pulasan is a viable crop here if grown properly.
Mike Parker: kefir fanatic, ethnomusicology hobbyist

Jose Spain

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 02, 2017, 03:59:12 PM »

Can handle +3C for very short period of time. Can't handle 10C for any extended period of time.

Please, forgive me for the offtopic but I have to ask. With my climatic conditions could I grow mangosteen outside providing some winter protection (not heated greenhouse)?

Jose Spain

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 02, 2017, 04:00:49 PM »

If you have seeds for sell in the future, let me know please. Muchas gracias por la info Oscar. 

DurianLover

• Bali, Indonesia
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 02, 2017, 04:32:03 PM »

Funny, that's my entire point. I'll repeat the same thing again. It absolutely doesn't matter what what type of microclimate Jose is in. He still has to go through very long and very cool Mediterranean winters.  People focusing only at kill temperatures and winter minimum at location. According this website almost all winter night time temps hovering in 40s and daytime often struggles to reach 60. https://en.aurigacrown.com/blog/marbella-climate/.  Even SoCal is much more tropical in winter. Rambutan not ok to try in SoCal, but ok in Spain? Where is the logic? Jose maybe technically zone 11 and temps never drop below 40, but his location will never rival possibilities for tropicals offered in zone 10 of S.FL.   Until people start to understand detrimental effects of prolonged and persistent cool temps on many sensitive tropicals species we can't have rational conversation here.

Jose Spain

• View Profile
« Reply #60 on: September 02, 2017, 05:45:50 PM »

Funny, that's my entire point. I'll repeat the same thing again. It absolutely doesn't matter what what type of microclimate Jose is in. He still has to go through very long and very cool Mediterranean winters.  People focusing only at kill temperatures and winter minimum at location. According this website almost all winter night time temps hovering in 40s and daytime often struggles to reach 60. https://en.aurigacrown.com/blog/marbella-climate/.  Even SoCal is much more tropical in winter. Rambutan not ok to try in SoCal, but ok in Spain? Where is the logic? Jose maybe technically zone 11 and temps never drop below 40, but his location will never rival possibilities for tropicals offered in zone 10 of S.FL.   Until people start to understand detrimental effects of prolonged and persistent cool temps on many sensitive tropicals species we can't have rational conversation here.

Questioning the ability for understanding and for having a rational conversation of other members is not the best way to show that your opinion is more rational than the rest, even when you may be right.

Marbella has a 17 miles (27Km) coastline and your link probably shows the data from a particular place. I've being recording temperatures and rain here in my garden for 8 years already and I've never seen ice on my grass and I doubt that with global warming I'll ever see it (out of these extreme weather episodes we all are going to face as a result of it). As I said, you're probably right about rambutan. And yet many tropical plants do great here. I post a picture of a typical garden in Marbella, I don't know how much different it looks from those in Florida, but I doubt you can grow something like this in the rest of Europe without winter protection. Conditions of Costa del Sol are subtropical, of course, and maybe worse that in Socal, I have not idea bout it. But nobody knows how we'll have to call those climatic conditions in 20 years...

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #61 on: September 02, 2017, 05:50:44 PM »

If you have seeds for sell in the future, let me know please. Muchas gracias por la info Oscar.
Won't have them for quite a few years. Better you try to get them from Roy-In next year. I gave link to his posting. You can PM him.
Oscar

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #62 on: September 02, 2017, 05:58:13 PM »

Questioning the ability for understanding and for having a rational conversation of other members is not the best way to show that your opinion is more rational than the rest, even when you may be right.

Marbella has a 17 miles (27Km) coastline and your link probably shows the data from a particular place. I've being recording temperatures and rain here in my garden for 8 years already and I've never seen ice on my grass and I doubt that with global warming I'll ever see it (out of these extreme weather episodes we all are going to face as a result of it). As I said, you're probably right about rambutan. And yet many tropical plants do great here. I post a picture of a typical garden in Marbella, I don't know how much different it looks from those in Florida, but I doubt you can grow something like this in the rest of Europe without winter protection. Conditions of Costa del Sol are subtropical, of course, and maybe worse that in Socal, I have not idea bout it. But nobody knows how we'll have to call those climatic conditions in 20 years...

As i understand it this group is about pushing the limits and trying to do the "impossible". Not about turning people off and calling them irrational. I guess you could call Bill Whitman irrational if you want?
Do you have any fruiting coconuts at your location? Places that can fruit coconuts can definitely fruit rambutan. In fact here at higher elevation it's harder to fruit coconut than rambutan. Rambutan is not as fussy as people think, and if proper cold hardy rootstocks were used it would not be hard to do the "impossible". Tandal is also exciting as it is frost hardy, and comes from cool area of NE india  (Arunacachal Pradesh province).
Oscar