Author Topic: Rambutan vs. Pulisan  (Read 16112 times)

TropicalFruitHunters

• Bangkok, Thailand
    • View Profile
    • Tropical Fruit Hunters
Re: Rambutan vs. Pulisan
« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2017, 05:01:48 PM »
Unfortunately the links of the Thai pulasan did not really provide any worthwhile information.  The first two links had absolutely no info concerning where the fruit originated...so I highly doubt it was from somewhere in Thailand.  The last link was a news program and someone brought pulasan from Malaysia onto the program.  They did mention that one farmer from a province had tried growing it...but never mention who or even what province.  They are bound to rambutan hard and fast.  This is why I'm so fixated in getting my own plants over there because there is absolutely no sources for it.

Finca La Isla

• Costa Rica, Southern Caribbean coast
    • View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #26 on: August 30, 2017, 05:36:35 PM »
I imagine it would bar pretty easy to take material from Malaysia to Thailand.  I wonder if pulusan can graft to rambutan...
Peter

TropicalFruitHunters

• Bangkok, Thailand
    • View Profile
    • Tropical Fruit Hunters
« Reply #27 on: August 30, 2017, 06:20:53 PM »
Peter...I tried contacted several nurseries in Malaysia concerning this.  Apparently, there must be something in place where Thailand does not allow material in from Malaysia.  I had one owner say she makes regular trips to Thailand but made if clear that she was basically smuggling them in.  She never did come thru on her promise to get me some plants.  All other efforts have failed.  I know have three nice specimens and I plan on just bringing them with me to Thailand next year...providing I keep them alive! 

In addition to the Bangkok area, we were in all of the best fruit growing provinces a few years ago and visited many farms and nurseries.  We asked anyone and everyone in the business about pulasan.  I even carried pictures of the plants and fruit with me!  Out of all of these folks, only one lady even knew what it was and she happened to come across the fruit while traveling out of the country.  She really loved it, more than rambutan...which says a lot for a Thai.  She brought seeds back with her and was trying to grow some.  Maybe next year I will check back with her on her progress.

Finca La Isla

• Costa Rica, Southern Caribbean coast
    • View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #28 on: August 30, 2017, 09:23:36 PM »
Pretty surprising about Thailand.  Here there are always Panamanians who want to get plants from CR.  I have taken lots of small material across the border in luggage but I have also loaded boats on the beach for a two hour ocean trip to Bocas del Toro, Panamá.  Many times plastic crates with trees for planting have crossed the river.  Smuggling is endemic.  People who live along the border will be experts.
Good luck, Peter

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #29 on: August 31, 2017, 02:50:27 AM »
How about pulasan vs. lychee?  Which one is better?
Going to depend on your personal taste ofcourse. But also depends a lot on the cultivar of lychee and the cultivar of pulasan that you are comparing. In the best of each class i think it would be pretty close. I think i might succumb more to the lure of the best of the lychees. Pulasans have a very big attraction though here, just because they are so much harder to get. There are probably 1000x more lychee fruits around here than pulasans. Lychee is pretty common here.

The pulusan though is a real tropical, right? I mean, in a subtropical climate we just have one option to pick from these 3 species: lychee. Or it would be a realistic bet to expect a crop from pulusan or rambutan trees in a 11a or colder region?
Yes pulasan is an ultra tropical. The rambutan is also tropical, but it seems more widely adapted than pulasan. So you would probably be able to grow it and fruit if you give it some special protection in winter. Lychee is subtropical, so should be easy for your area.
Oscar

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #30 on: August 31, 2017, 02:54:59 AM »
I imagine it would bar pretty easy to take material from Malaysia to Thailand.  I wonder if pulusan can graft to rambutan...
Peter
No, pulasan is not compatible with rambutan. But pulasan can be grafted onto bulala (Nephelium phillipensis) which is a lot more vigorous and hardier than pulasan.
Oscar

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #31 on: August 31, 2017, 02:59:01 AM »
Pulasan Thai

http://talung.gimyong.com/index.php?topic=247905.0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-xAfBMEzCw
That photo is the real deal pulasan. But my experience is similar to tropicalfruithunter. Pulasan is almost non existent in Thailand. That doesn't mean that there is not someone in their backyard who has one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09UdyQpWLWQ

That photo is the real deal pulasan. But my experience is similar to tropicalfruithunter. Pulasan is almost non existent in Thailand. That doesn't mean that there is not someone in their backyard who has one.
Oscar

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #32 on: August 31, 2017, 03:01:13 AM »
Unfortunately the links of the Thai pulasan did not really provide any worthwhile information.  The first two links had absolutely no info concerning where the fruit originated...so I highly doubt it was from somewhere in Thailand.  The last link was a news program and someone brought pulasan from Malaysia onto the program.  They did mention that one farmer from a province had tried growing it...but never mention who or even what province.  They are bound to rambutan hard and fast.  This is why I'm so fixated in getting my own plants over there because there is absolutely no sources for it.
Jay, what i suggest to you is to get some pulasan air layers. They air layer easily and are easy to carry that way.
Oscar

TropicalFruitHunters

• Bangkok, Thailand
    • View Profile
    • Tropical Fruit Hunters
« Reply #33 on: August 31, 2017, 08:21:15 AM »
Yes, Oscar...I am hoping to find others in Thailand growing these as well.  Also yes, I have one grafted plant and two air layers that will hopefully be making the trip to Thailand with me next year.

Jsvand5

• Ocala FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 31, 2017, 12:11:55 PM »
Peter
No, pulasan is not compatible with rambutan. But pulasan can be grafted onto bulala (Nephelium phillipensis) which is a lot more vigorous and hardier than pulasan.

Will you have bulala seed in stock any time soon? I have two grafted and 2 airlayered pulasan and want to try grafting some more but my pulasan seedlings grow painfully slow.

sunny

• Thailand
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 31, 2017, 02:55:51 PM »
Thailand have sir
http://www.manager.co.th/South/ViewNews.aspx?NewsID=9530000095855

you read adress  430 Moo 1, Klongprab, Banon, Surat Than

Now i give address so you can buy 1 for me
« Last Edit: August 31, 2017, 03:01:36 PM by sunny »

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #36 on: August 31, 2017, 05:26:29 PM »
Yes, Oscar...I am hoping to find others in Thailand growing these as well.  Also yes, I have one grafted plant and two air layers that will hopefully be making the trip to Thailand with me next year.
Hard to connect with other enthusiasts in Thailand. According to a Thai friend there are zero tropical fruit clubs in all of Thailand! I find that hard to believe.. That could be a good mission for you.  :D
Oscar

DurianLover

• Bali, Indonesia
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 31, 2017, 05:43:51 PM »

The pulusan though is a real tropical, right? I mean, in a subtropical climate we just have one option to pick from these 3 species: lychee. Or it would be a realistic bet to expect a crop from pulusan or rambutan trees in a 11a or colder region?
Yes pulasan is an ultra tropical. The rambutan is also tropical, but it seems more widely adapted than pulasan. So you would probably be able to grow it and fruit if you give it some special protection in winter. Lychee is subtropical, so should be easy for your area.

There were only one or two successful rambutan fruitings in S. FL after enormous efforts to keep them alive, even though S. FL has nearly everything going for it: borderline tropical climate, sufficient humidity etc.  Southern Spain is much cooler and drier, no matter what microclimate Jose is in. It's subtropical/ mediterranean climate.  Rambutan maybe alive for a while but will be absolutely miserable. I feel sorry when people given false hope. There is good reason 2-3 years on they never update on their little pet projects.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #38 on: August 31, 2017, 05:53:52 PM »

There were only one or two successful rambutan fruitings in S. FL after enormous efforts to keep them alive, even though S. FL has nearly everything going for it: borderline tropical climate, sufficient humidity etc.  Southern Spain is much cooler and drier, no matter what microclimate Jose is in. It's subtropical/ mediterranean climate.  Rambutan maybe alive for a while but will be absolutely miserable. I feel sorry when people given false hope. There is good reason 2-3 years on they never update on their little pet projects.
No, Southern Florida does not have everything going for it for growing rambutans. The problem with Florida and rambutans is not the temperatures, but the soil. Rambutans will not grow in alkaline soils, and a lot of southern Florida is limestone. The people that fruited them trucked in soil from elsewhere. Also S. Florida gets occasional arctic blasts. Does Southern Spain also experience these? Anyway, note that i said he would need to protect them in winter. Humidity can be easily controlled by adding overhead misters.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2017, 06:06:24 PM by fruitlovers »
Oscar

DurianLover

• Bali, Indonesia
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 31, 2017, 06:39:01 PM »

No, Southern Florida does not have everything going for it for growing rambutans. The problem with Florida and rambutans is not the temperatures, but the soil. Rambutans will not grow in alkaline soils, and a lot of southern Florida is limestone. The people that fruited them trucked in soil from elsewhere. Also S. Florida gets occasional arctic blasts. Does Southern Spain also experience these? Anyway, note that i said he would need to protect them in winter. Humidity can be easily controlled by adding overhead misters.

http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=1249.0

I know about the soil. It's not just occasional cold blast it's persistent temps in 50's or 60's for days or even weeks in winter combined with arctic blast, which is far more stressful than occasional overnight dips in S. FL.  Southern Spain more or less = SoCal. Let somebody grow rambutan in the best of SoCal microclimate even with misters, and let's see how far that goes. This may sound new agey but seems like some species sense being on artificial life support and not happy about it at all, even though technically everything is provided.  There is quite a bit of scientific research into subject.

TropicalFruitHunters

• Bangkok, Thailand
    • View Profile
    • Tropical Fruit Hunters
« Reply #40 on: August 31, 2017, 07:20:29 PM »
Hey Sunny, good find on that last one.  Good to know someone is at least trying it.  So can I assume you will be driving down to that province soon and picking up a bunch of pulasan plants?!!   ;)  On your way back, just swing thru Bangkok and drop a couple off at my in-laws!!  Thanks!!   ::)

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #41 on: August 31, 2017, 10:57:24 PM »

I know about the soil. It's not just occasional cold blast it's persistent temps in 50's or 60's for days or even weeks in winter combined with arctic blast, which is far more stressful than occasional overnight dips in S. FL.  Southern Spain more or less = SoCal. Let somebody grow rambutan in the best of SoCal microclimate even with misters, and let's see how far that goes. This may sound new agey but seems like some species sense being on artificial life support and not happy about it at all, even though technically everything is provided.  There is quite a bit of scientific research into subject.
We have night time temperatures in 60's here. That is not a problem for rambutan. If you do a climate comparison for Hilo and Homestead, which i have done, it turns out Homestead is more tropical than Hilo, with higher temperatures in both summer and most of winter. It is only occasional cold blasts that are a problem, along with soil that is not at all suitable for rambutans.
Yes rambutans will not do well in Southern California. If the climate in all of Southern Spain is similar then you are right. The person who posted said he was in zone 11a, which led me to believe his climate his warmer.
Oscar

sunny

• Thailand
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 01, 2017, 06:44:40 AM »
Hey Sunny, good find on that last one.  Good to know someone is at least trying it.  So can I assume you will be driving down to that province soon and picking up a bunch of pulasan plants?!!   ;)  On your way back, just swing thru Bangkok and drop a couple off at my in-laws!!  Thanks!!   ::)

Can do, you pay me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OrtX1LleFB8

This pulasan is seebabat mai? Him not black.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHJ16FFFyx0
Is him seebabat one? Him very yousee, maybe not same.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2017, 06:47:55 AM by sunny »

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 01, 2017, 08:13:32 AM »
Rambutans of the top 10 or so varieties and pulasans of the best two types (sibabat and black) seem the have the same cold tolerances/southern limits on the east coast of Australia with farms at latitude 18.6 s growing them together. The biggest pulasan grove in my area is at latitude 17 and 400m altitude near Kurands.This all means that occasional winter minimum dips to around 4c or 5c are tolerated.

TropicalFruitHunters

• Bangkok, Thailand
    • View Profile
    • Tropical Fruit Hunters
« Reply #44 on: September 01, 2017, 08:46:44 AM »
Sunny...hard to say for sure but most likely Seebabat.  I'm sure other good varieties exist.  If you get the plants, I will definitely pay you!!

sunny

• Thailand
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 01, 2017, 09:52:08 AM »
Sunny...hard to say for sure but most likely Seebabat.  I'm sure other good varieties exist.  If you get the plants, I will definitely pay you!!

Can buy tree from this one, is this pulasan seebabat?

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 01, 2017, 04:41:34 PM »
Heya Sunny it sure looks like sibabat to me.It is the most common and biggest type. They are variable I think because seedling trees that still get called sibabat/seebabat can differ from the parents. Some are dark almost black and on reflection I think the real black ones could just be a dark form of sibabat and they taste the same.Some trees have bigger fruit.
There is no other variety that is big and of the same colour.

Jose Spain

• Marbella, Spain. Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 01, 2017, 05:20:33 PM »

We have night time temperatures in 60's here. That is not a problem for rambutan. If you do a climate comparison for Hilo and Homestead, which i have done, it turns out Homestead is more tropical than Hilo, with higher temperatures in both summer and most of winter. It is only occasional cold blasts that are a problem, along with soil that is not at all suitable for rambutans.
Yes rambutans will not do well in Southern California. If the climate in all of Southern Spain is similar then you are right. The person who posted said he was in zone 11a, which led me to believe his climate his warmer.

Where I live (Marbella) we have a particular microclimate thanks to the mountains that make an arch surrounding our zone like a wall, protecting us from cold and hot winds from north, being sea the main controller of temperatures (and keeping RH over 80% most of the time, bread never get to night without getting soft here doe to high humidity, just few miles to north it will keep dry for days). Cold blasts is something that we watch in TV, last winter came the hardest one in decades and let half of Europe without Spanish greenhouse orchard products, even did snow near us (Almeria and Murcia), and yet here temperature dropped just to 40F, which is the absolute minimum we get here. Average temperature in winter is around 55 though, with midday temperatures around 68/70.

Soil is quite variable, from ultrabasic to acidic where Ericaceae dominate the landscape. I think rambutan would do well in these ones, inside of a greenhouse, but having lychees, what for bother with rambutan? In fact Marbella was the first location of Spain where lychee was planted with commercial porpoises. Pulusan sounds very interesting, but being ultratropical and again having lychee seems more logical to put efforts in other species. Thank you both for the info!  ;)
« Last Edit: September 01, 2017, 05:24:59 PM by Jose Spain »

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #48 on: September 01, 2017, 06:14:49 PM »
Jose, I think it's worth a try the rambutan in your area. You would be the first? They can take temperatures in the 60's, but not in the 50's for long. They will fruit here at elevation 1500 to 2000 ft. (depending on area) about 500 to 600 meters, which is quite cool, not tropical. Coconuts and breadfruit will not fruit there, so rambutan is more adaptable than people think.
There is a close relative of rambutan grown in NE India that can even take some frost. Forum member Roy posted about it. That would be an excellent one for you to try. Might also be a good rootstock for rambutan in marginal areas.
This all needs more experimentation.
Oscar

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 01, 2017, 06:38:40 PM »
http://rfcarchives.org.au/Next/CaringForTrees/MinTemps3-88.htm
The Australian experience with minimum tolerable temperatures is listed in the link. Obviously species like breadfruit can survive lower temps briefly.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk