Author Topic: Grafted Pulasan Arrived From Hawaii  (Read 7049 times)

Jsvand5

• Ocala FL
    • View Profile
Grafted Pulasan Arrived From Hawaii
« on: October 13, 2016, 12:41:30 PM »
This made it today in pretty good shape. I actually think it may be getting ready to push flowers. I can't  tell for sure but some of the buds don't look like leaf buds to me. I've never seen pulasan flower buds though so I'm not positive. It's a seebabat. Hopefully it recovers well from the bare rooting.

« Last Edit: October 13, 2016, 08:10:24 PM by Jsvand5 »

cmichael258

• St. Pete, Florida
    • View Profile
Re: Grafted Pulasan Arrived From Hawaii
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2016, 01:00:44 PM »
Looks very healthy. Congrats!
Michael

sildanani

• U.S.A OH, 6a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2016, 01:11:19 PM »
That's awesome. :D Aren't they dioecious? So are there male and female grafts? Also, can I ask where you purchased it? Do you have it in a humidity tent with air flow? That'll help it bounce back.
Anisha

Jsvand5

• Ocala FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2016, 01:36:15 PM »
That's awesome. :D Aren't they dioecious? So are there male and female grafts? Also, can I ask where you purchased it? Do you have it in a humidity tent with air flow? That'll help it bounce back.
Seebabat is supposed to be self fertile. I do have another grafted one from Puerto Rico as well. Not sure of the variety on that one though. I am going to put it in a little mini greenhouse with a fogger set to come on a few times a day. Not sure of which nursery it came from. A forum member got it inspected and sent it to me.

Vernmented

• Starry Nursery/Plant Hoarder/Zone Pusher/Biochar Enthusiast
    • USA, Florida, Sarasota, 9B/10A
    • View Profile
    • Starry Nursery Instagram
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2016, 05:29:44 PM »
OMG. Amazing. I need this.
-Josh

palologrower

• Honolulu, HI, US, Zone 12B
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2016, 05:55:24 PM »
Seebabat is supposed to be self fertile. I do have another grafted one from Puerto Rico as well. Not sure of the variety on that one though. I am going to put it in a little mini greenhouse with a fogger set to come on a few times a day. Not sure of which nursery it came from. A forum member got it inspected and sent it to me.

they must be very nice to drive to the airport to get to the usda office, inspected and then pack in front of them.  good luck with it!

BigIslandGrower

• USA, Hawaii, Puna 700 ft, 12B
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2016, 11:54:42 PM »

Seebabat is supposed to be self fertile.

It is, though you would probably get better production with another male tree in its vicinity.

Jsvand5

• Ocala FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2016, 01:06:40 AM »

Seebabat is supposed to be self fertile.

It is, though you would probably get better production with another male tree in its vicinity.

For now I'll be happy to get it to recover from the bare rooting. My other grafted one is doing well and I have a couple seedlings doing well but this is the first that I have that has been bare rooted. I'm definitely going to baby it for the next couple months. I can probably get some budwood from a male tree in puerto rico next summer but getting the graft to take seems unlikely. So far I have only seen approach grafts on pulasan but I imagine other grafting techniques are  probably used in their native region. I set up a wedge graft on a seedling from the branch that broke in shipping. It seemed to line up well but I'm still doubtful it will succeed.

noochka1

• Miramar, FL 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2016, 07:51:49 PM »
I have 2 small pulasan in Miramar.  Both are seed grown, so I have no idea what sex they are.  Is there a way to tell the sex of small pulasan?  Perhaps if one is a male (and it survives long enough to find out) we can share it :-) 

Kona fruit farm

• Aloha
    • Big Island; Hawaii. Kona 1700' Elev. Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2016, 08:41:53 PM »
jsvand5   how is the pulasan doing now?   did it live?
With 3 acres of prime real estate for growing tropicals... why not create my own garden of eden?? Work in progress

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2016, 08:53:49 PM »
I have 2 small pulasan in Miramar.  Both are seed grown, so I have no idea what sex they are.  Is there a way to tell the sex of small pulasan?  Perhaps if one is a male (and it survives long enough to find out) we can share it :-)
No, you have to wait for flowering.
Oscar

Jsvand5

• Ocala FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2016, 04:03:08 PM »
jsvand5   how is the pulasan doing now?   did it live?

Still a little sketchy. It dropped all of its leaves within a couple days of arriving but I expected that. It's been pretty much a green stick since then but it has a bud starting to push now. Also has a couple tiny green pinprick sized bumps that I think will end up being new growth. It's in almost full shade and bagged to keep the humidity high. I'm pretty confident it will survive at this point.

« Last Edit: October 30, 2016, 07:33:27 PM by Jsvand5 »

noochka1

• Miramar, FL 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2016, 06:49:59 PM »
I've been having a conversation in another forum with a gentleman who is growing pulasan very successfully in PR.  He says one of the keys to growing pulasan well is keeping the soil pH between 4.5 and 5.  Apparently, they require a very acid soil to flourish.  I had no idea, so I thought I'd post it here in case anyone else who is growing these plants is unaware.

TropicalFruitHunters

• Bangkok, Thailand
    • View Profile
    • Tropical Fruit Hunters
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2016, 06:53:45 PM »
The PH on Juan's farm down there is 4-4.5.  There's no denying how well everything grows and tastes.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2016, 06:57:44 PM »
I've been having a conversation in another forum with a gentleman who is growing pulasan very successfully in PR.  He says one of the keys to growing pulasan well is keeping the soil pH between 4.5 and 5.  Apparently, they require a very acid soil to flourish.  I had no idea, so I thought I'd post it here in case anyone else who is growing these plants is unaware.
I don't think this is true because pH here is around 6 and pulasans do quite well.
Oscar

Jsvand5

• Ocala FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2016, 08:42:02 PM »
One month update:
Looking like a success. Planning to stick it in the ground next to the other one in the spring.

Ethan

• Central California Z9/9
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2016, 10:52:12 PM »
Nice job John.

Jsvand5

• Ocala FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2016, 12:23:01 AM »
Looks like my original one from Puerto Rico might be about to flower. At least I assume those are flower buds. My plan is to wait to check the sex of the flowers before snipping them off.

« Last Edit: November 12, 2016, 01:51:03 PM by Jsvand5 »

Jsvand5

• Ocala FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2016, 01:56:24 PM »

Tropicaliste

• Washington D.C. Area, US 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2016, 03:32:09 PM »
This is fantastic. I'm just wondering, do you work in a hospital or lab? I keep wondering why your new seedling is in a sink surrounded by medical equipment.

Jsvand5

• Ocala FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2016, 06:16:49 PM »
Work in a hospital. I picked it up and brought it back to work and had it soaking there.

FrankDrebinOfFruits

• Kauai, HI 12A
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2016, 10:20:27 PM »
Anyone know the name/s of nursery's in Hawaii that carry these? I am interested in ordering.

BigIslandGrower

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2016, 11:15:12 PM »

I don't think this is true because pH here is around 6 and pulasans do quite well.

Right, and I doubt the soil PH in Malaysia is that low, where they also do quite well.

BigIslandGrower

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2016, 11:15:58 PM »
Anyone know the name/s of nursery's in Hawaii that carry these? I am interested in ordering.

I don't think he has any right now. David Frenz, Birds and Buds unlimited.

arvind

• Malaysia
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2016, 12:42:49 AM »

Right, and I doubt the soil PH in Malaysia is that low, where they also do quite well.
Well you are right.The pH here in Malaysia for most soil is between 6 and 6.5.However pulasan is quite a picky plant and it prefers very fertile soil.Lastly the most important factor for its growth is high humidity and lots of rainfall.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk