Author Topic: Ate my first tangerine of the season.  (Read 2099 times)

Central Floridave

• View Profile
Ate my first tangerine of the season.
« on: November 22, 2016, 11:21:53 AM »
Yeah, for citrus season starting up. (at least for me in C.Florida).

Ate my first Dancy this morning.  Although still a little early it was sweet. Also, since early the seeds weren't fully developed and were edible.  no bitterness to the seeds.   

We have had two cold fronts move through Central Florida the past two weeks and I think that has helped early ripening of my dancy.  Love this time of year in Florida!   

LaCasaVerde

• pensacola
    • View Profile
Re: Ate my first tangerine of the season.
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2016, 10:13:13 PM »
Second that. Something really neat about peeling the first one.... wish I could time it when they are ready but I cant stop from pulling a few early just to see.

Central Floridave

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2016, 11:59:22 AM »
Yup.  Agreed.  First of the season and the novelty of it is great! 

Ate some more this morning.  Still not fully sweet ripe yet, but definitely edible.  I've got so many on the tree and I'm the only one that eats them so gotta start early to get to them all by the end of January.  sometimes The Dancy last into February. 

Central Floridave

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2017, 12:43:36 PM »
Just checking in.  Been eating Dancy Tangerines every day since this posting. Been juicing them also. Gave a bunch to friends.  We have had a warm winter so far (86F yesterday) and dry.  They sweetened up without the cold.  Still have about another 50 on the tree, thus, a couple more weeks.   My other citrus are hurting and didn't produce much. My honey murcott had some fruit (all gone now) and were really sweet and juicy.    Yeah for Old School Dancy keeping me from suffering from scurvy this year!

justjoanalso

• BROOKLYN PARK MN 4A
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2017, 01:34:01 PM »
Nothing better than citrus right off the tree, congrats! :)
A word to the wise is sufficent

Central Floridave

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2017, 02:36:26 PM »
I know, I love it!  The tree is right next to where I park my car. So, every morning on the way to work I grab the fruit picker and pick what I will eat that morning!    Fresh fruit...just what the doctor ordered!   I probably wouldn't eat fresh fruit otherwise. Or, at least as much as I do now. 

Growing your own is awesome and rewarding! 

Central Floridave

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2017, 10:52:18 AM »
Well, here I am broken hearted that I ate my last tangerine this morning.  It was a good one!    Last weekend I cleaned up the dancy from dead limbs, cleaned the weeds around it, gave it some fresh organics ferts, and overall made the tree air-flow through it by cutting back neighboring ornamentals.  I'll fertilize soon to help the spring blossom. 

Fortunately, my jaboticaba is just now coming ripe to continue the daily dose of fresh fruit from my trees! 

I know I'm preaching to the choir, but ain't it great to grow your own fruit!    My wife has been in recovery from a medical procedure and I have to think the daily fresh squeezed tangerine juice I feed her helped in her speedy recovery. 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk