Author Topic: Fertilizer for container trees  (Read 13281 times)

Bananaizme

• USA , California,Visalia, sunset zone 9
    • View Profile
Re: Fertilizer for container trees
« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2017, 10:26:34 AM »
    Mark

I'm just concerned that by fertilizing, it will cause the trees to drop their flowers and go into a vegetative growth state . That's all that I'm asking, is this something that I need to be concerned about ?

William

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2017, 12:57:21 PM »
    Mark

I'm just concerned that by fertilizing, it will cause the trees to drop their flowers and go into a vegetative growth state . That's all that I'm asking, is this something that I need to be concerned about ?

William

I understand.  No it shouldn't cause it to go into vegetative state.  I generally use a slow release food, just applied a 12 mo. 18-4-9 pills called Polyon which is always feeding my trees.  Last year's grafted Sweet Tart is holding 50 fruitlets.  Here's one flowering spike taken this morning. Same with the others.  They're setting fruit.  Something never mentioned, make sure your food has Boron.  I supply additional boron in the form of Solubor, albeit very trace.

Bananaizme

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2017, 01:19:51 PM »
  I do use the osmocote that you showed in your picture. I'll have to look and see if it has boron. I do also spray a foliar trace minerals cocktail at least once a month so I'm sure that the boron will be covered.

William

CA Hockey

• Orange, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 22, 2017, 02:07:17 AM »
Off topic - but Mark what type of lime is that?

-K

Polyon 12 mo. slow release with the secondarys like Ca and Mg AND micros.  Good mix of nitrate to ammonical N too.   Used it on thousands of newly planted field and potted/in the ground tropical greenhouse fruit trees.  Makes 'em grow like weeds.  Similiar to Osmocote but unlike Os it releases its nutrients with higher temps, not just moisture. You Florida guys probably have a Harrell distributor near you.

Hi Mark - Isn't this blend a little light on K?  Some of the tropical fruit tree nurseries around here use Harrells products.

Maybe.  Learn to read your plants.  I'm a nitrogen freak and have the fruit production to prove it.  For instance, leaf tissue analysis of citrus reflects they prefer and accumulate a 5-1-3 NPK.  Mango is said to hate high N and prefer high K foods.  Glad my mangos can't read.  ;)

Check out the pH of my key lime juice.

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 22, 2017, 08:25:10 AM »
Off topic - but Mark what type of lime is that?

-K

Label states dolomite, a lime which also contains Mg.

andrewq

• USA, Texas, Houston, 9A
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 24, 2017, 11:10:49 AM »
    Mark

William

I understand.  No it shouldn't cause it to go into vegetative state.  I generally use a slow release food, just applied a 12 mo. 18-4-9 pills called Polyon which is always feeding my trees.  Last year's grafted Sweet Tart is holding 50 fruitlets.  Here's one flowering spike taken this morning. Same with the others.  They're setting fruit.  Something never mentioned, make sure your food has Boron.  I supply additional boron in the form of Solubor, albeit very trace.

mark, is that a photo of mango or lychee blooms?

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 26, 2017, 08:25:24 AM »

mark, is that a photo of mango or lychee blooms?

Sweet Tart mango blossoms.

FlMikey

• Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 10, 2017, 06:25:15 AM »
Overall is this Osmocote Plus a good option?  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GTDGMHC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1  I reviewed the label (http://www.plantersplace.com/products/osmocote_outdoor_indoor) and I think it looks pretty good, but I'm also pretty new to growing.

I can't find Harrell's Polyon that sells directly to retail.
I
I found a shop that sells Scotts Osmocote Plus 15-9-12 for about $60 on a 50 # bag.  I don't need 50 # (only have 5 trees right now) and $60 seems like a lot if it's not necessary. 

If that Oscmocote Plus is a good option for container growing, then I'll go with that.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2017, 08:28:11 AM by FlMikey »

Bananaizme

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 10, 2017, 07:55:07 AM »

Overall is this Osmocote Plus a good option?   I reviewed the label  and I think it looks pretty good, but I'm also pretty new to growing.

I can't find Harrell's Polyon that sells directly to retail.

I found a shop that sells Osmocote Plus 15-9-12 for about $60 on a 50 # bag.  I don't need 50 # (only have 5 trees right now) and $60 seems like a lot if it's not necessary. 

If that Oscmocote Plus is a good option for container growing, then I'll go with that.
[/quote]

FlMikey

I started using it , although I got the 8 pound bags from walmart. I was hesitant to use it on my lychees, but based on the advice given on this board a sprinkled about a tablespoon to each of my 7 gallon lychees and their doing wonderful.Lots of little fruit on them.I actually used it on all of my potted and in ground trees and am having great results.

William

FlMikey

• Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 10, 2017, 08:30:30 AM »
Thanks William.  The 8 lb bag makes much more sense and  would last me years if only using a tablespoon or two in each container.

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 10, 2017, 09:23:45 AM »
Bought this a while back.  Yes, it's the best bang for your buck.  15-9-12, has a broad micro package.  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GTDGMHC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
« Last Edit: May 10, 2017, 09:25:32 AM by Mark in Texas »

Bananaizme

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 10, 2017, 02:59:01 PM »
  Cookie Monster actually convinced me that it was ok on lychees. I'm glad that I listened to him  :)

William

palmcity

• Martin County, Fl zone10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 10, 2017, 03:33:42 PM »
googled a less expensive price in store pickup $19.87   8 lb.   Price may vary in different areas.

https://www.walmart.com/product/39914816/sellers

$19.87 + Free pickup today at Port St. Lucie Walmart Neighborhood Market

Bananaizme

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 10, 2017, 08:06:22 PM »
    I happened to get lucky last fall as they were making ready for Christmas. They clearenced their fertilizer and I was lucky enough to find it.  I bought up what they had . I thought that the 50lbs for $60 seems like a good deal to me. Also I got some of their 14-14-14 for my vegetable beds and I'm really happy with the results of this one too .

William

FlMikey

• Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 10, 2017, 09:11:45 PM »
The $60 for the 50 lb bag was from BWI - they have great prices.  I'm picking up some Fafard 3 soil from them next week - about $14 for 2.8 cubic feet.

andrewq

• USA, Texas, Houston, 9A
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 10, 2017, 10:42:49 PM »
  Cookie Monster actually convinced me that it was ok on lychees. I'm glad that I listened to him  :)

William

William, how much osmocote plus do you use in your container lychees? any burn with them?

Bananaizme

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 11, 2017, 12:00:25 AM »
  Andrew

I used the measure spoon that came with it. I just put one scoop per pot . I did not work it in to the soil , just on top and watered in . It has worked really well so far.

William

strkpr00

• USA, Florida, Davie zone10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 12, 2017, 08:22:31 AM »
Just to put a fly in the ointment, orchid growers are using the Dynamite Red time release in So. Fl. they say it has a slower release for the heat and humidity over the summer.

Gary

• Arizona
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 28, 2017, 01:53:48 PM »
Does anyone here know if Osmocote affect the soil or any of the micro organism in the soil? I try to be organic as possible, but some times I do use chemicals if it does not degrade or pollute my soil life.

NewGen

• Zone 10a, Central Valley, CA, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 28, 2017, 06:48:05 PM »
  Andrew

I used the measure spoon that came with it. I just put one scoop per pot . I did not work it in to the soil , just on top and watered in . It has worked really well so far.

William

I also use Osmocote, but I like to work it into the soil, because if I don't, the water just pushes the granules towards the side of the pot. Maybe I need to add more mulch to help keep those granules in place.

Bananaizme

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 28, 2017, 10:20:36 PM »
  Trung I'm sure that you could very lightly scratch it into the soil as long as  the roots are not right at the top of the soil  to be damaged.  The soil I use is very sandy so it needs to be fertilized regularly , this is why I like the osmocote because the plants get some food every time I water.

William