Author Topic: Dragon Fruit thread.  (Read 798480 times)

DFfarmer

• USA, Valley Center, CA, 9b
    • View Profile
Re: Dragon Fruit thread.
« Reply #3375 on: September 21, 2022, 01:40:00 PM »
Wondering if Delight and Delight 3-S are the same? It looks like they're hybrid plants crossed from the same parent plant. I've come across several websites saying they're likely the same (pic attached), however the site I bought my 3-S from says it's self sterile and every other Delight I've found is self fertile. I'm trying to only keep self fertile varieties, so I'm very curious if this one will need cross pollination or not. It's from Wallace Ranch farm.
From what I have read the original "Delight" was self sterile. I would trust Wallace Ranch, Neva and Julio work hard to know what they are doing. Julio has many years of experience to back that up. The "Delight" plants that I have all seem to be self sterile but I have so many so close together that it would be difficult to be sure. I pollinate everything. There is another called "Maria Rosa" that is similar, but I don't believe that one is self fertile either.

bryan

• Deltona, Fl
    • View Profile
« Reply #3376 on: September 23, 2022, 09:04:19 PM »
Great topic nullzero!  I'm currently growing Halley's Comet, American Beauty, Vietnamese White, Yellow DF, Frankies Red and something I call Simon's Red.  The Vietnamese White is the easiest to grow and fruit for me. I have the most difficult time growing the Yellow DF outdoors but the easiest time growing it indoors under T5 lighting.  My yellow DF grew 3 branches, each that grew about 2 feet in about a month and a half in the winter indoors. 

I just took cuttings from each plant and I'm going to start new with a planned out set up.  Previously, I just stuck them in a pot and let them climb everywhere.  They grew and fruited well this way but it was sloppy looking.  This time, I'm going to try growing them in smart pots and grow them as a DF tree like they do in Vietnam. 

I grow my DF in full sun but they do get burned in the summertime.  This summer, I may throw some shade cloth over them during the hottest part of the summer. 
Simon

Simon,
What do you suppose is the reason that the yellow DF is more difficult to grow? I have a yellow DF branch, I stuck it into the ground next to the others, it just withered and died, while the others grew normally. Why does it grow better indoor? Humidity?

I start all of my cuttings on the porch, indirect light only. Once they start to grow, I slowly introduce them to full sun. I also let them grow a few feet before putting them in their permanent spot. This way the 1 vertical branch does not get shaded at all and is strong and healthy so when I tip it, it branches better.

bryan

• Deltona, Fl
    • View Profile
« Reply #3377 on: September 23, 2022, 09:09:59 PM »
i grow few yellow dragon fruit from seeds ,,, will they bear true to type ,,

Very much doubt it, from my experience, yellow dragon fruit seedlings produce decent quality fruit.
Mine were sweet but a little smaller than a selected variety.
That is a bit strange as Physical Graffiti and Purple haze are two that I don't put in my greenhouse and they do pretty well with just a sheet during the freezes. Yes American Beauty should also be more resistant to cold stress, but still needs some protection.
Here a chart with some info. https://ucanr.edu/sites/VCMG/files/243725.pdf

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk