Author Topic: Lerén / Lerenes - Calathea allouia  (Read 3044 times)

Caesar

• PR
    • View Profile
Lerén / Lerenes - Calathea allouia
« on: March 27, 2017, 05:18:04 PM »
I'm growing Lerene now, and I've found conflicting information. One source claims it prefers shade, another that it grows well in sun. Anyone else have experience with it? Perhaps it produces well in both?

These are my plants, in bright shade:

I got to taste the tubers when I received these roots. They were very small, but I was told they were mostly immature. The skin has to be peeled whether before or after cooking (and it's obscenely tedious when they're small). I tried to eat a couple with the skin, but found it inedibly tough. The rest had a wonderful water chestnut texture, and a corn-like taste.

TravelingFriend

• North America, SE states, Louisiana, Georgia, Florida, Zone 9a - 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Lerén / Lerenes - Calathea allouia
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2017, 11:32:37 PM »
I'm growing Lerene now, and I've found conflicting information. One source claims it prefers shade, another that it grows well in sun. Anyone else have experience with it? Perhaps it produces well in both?

These are my plants, in bright shade:

I got to taste the tubers when I received these roots. They were very small, but I was told they were mostly immature. The skin has to be peeled whether before or after cooking (and it's obscenely tedious when they're small). I tried to eat a couple with the skin, but found it inedibly tough. The rest had a wonderful water chestnut texture, and a corn-like taste.
The plants here look great, but I'm sure one condition will give you better leaf, or better flower, or better root.. Hope it's easy to try here and there to get it figure out..
I am very excited about this new plant. I can't wait to get a piece to grow out!
Please update on your experiences :)
« Last Edit: April 08, 2017, 11:34:32 PM by TravelingFriend »

Caesar

• PR
    • View Profile
Re: Lerén / Lerenes - Calathea allouia
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2017, 10:50:04 PM »
I get the feeling they're one of those plants that'll grow anywhere except cave-like shade. I planted one in the shade at my Grandma's, and it's doing well. The other two are still in their (all too tiny) pots, still alive (and not too bad looking), blasted by full sun everyday. It's a tougher plant than I expected (though I hope I don't reach the limit, I want them alive.  ;) ).