Author Topic: Anyone growing Coinosicys macranthus?  (Read 12680 times)

Caesar

• PR
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone growing Coinosicys macranthus?
« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2015, 12:27:03 PM »
And thank you for the heads up on the bugs. I have a minor issue with scale on some trees, but bigger issues with pink mealybugs, and they're spreading (courtesy of the fire ants). Is it likely to be susceptible to those as well? How do I deal with these sap-suckers, and their fire ant farmers?

cbss_daviefl

• USA, Southwest Ranches,FL 33331, 10B
    • View Profile
    • bfgtropicals.com
« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2016, 11:34:33 AM »
Anyone fruit this thing yet?  I bought some seeds and later potted them in 3 gal pots and forgot about them.  I have been very busy with my business and while I was not looking, they climbed a support pole of my shade house and took over the roof.  I have flowers and bees working the flowers but no evidence of fruit, at least where I can see. I see some spent flower heads on the ground.

Brandon

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2016, 11:43:38 AM »
I have not flowered them yet. I germinated some last year and lost them after I transplanted to a sunnier location. So the advice is just plant them in a part shade or shade area and let them climb. The flowers are really nice looking, do you have just 1 plant or more then 1? Perhaps it needs cross pollination with another plant.
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

cbss_daviefl

• View Profile
    • bfgtropicals.com
« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2016, 01:37:08 PM »
There are two vines that found the exit.  One vine is huge at the base and the other is 1/4 of the diameter so probably only one is flowering.  I tried to identify if the flowers were male, female, or perfect but my knowledge of flower anatomy is poor.  My best guess is that I have male flowers.  I definately see pollen but I do not see a typical stigma, style, and ovaries.  When I first saw the flowers, I though the stamen were small and numerous around the petals but after a second look I see that each flower has three large stamen protruding from the center.  The bees are stripping the pollen and only one flower had pollen clearly attached but here comes a bee to remedy that.

Brandon

Caesar

• PR
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2016, 11:20:11 PM »
Save some pollen! You could try hand-pollination if one of your plants sends out a female after the male flowers have dropped. I hope you get a female bloom before that happens, though.

cbss_daviefl

• View Profile
    • bfgtropicals.com
« Reply #30 on: February 05, 2016, 11:29:43 AM »
Fruit!!!  This thing has both male and female flowers. 

Female before opening

Female with bees

Female close up

Cluster of females before opening

Brandon

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 05, 2016, 12:00:41 PM »
Congrats, looking forward to a future taste report  ;D?

cbss_daviefl

• View Profile
    • bfgtropicals.com
« Reply #32 on: March 30, 2016, 11:10:59 PM »
I ate my first fruit today.  Based on this single fruit, I give it an OK rating, edging towards good.   The common name for this fruit is Passion Fruit Melon.  From this name, I had made the assumption the melon would taste like some of the passion fruits I have eaten, panama red and purple possem, a balance between sweet and acid.  The Passion Fruit Melon's taste is very sweet with no acidity.  Butterscotch is the best description I can come up with.  The seeds are big and plentiful, which distracts from the eating experience.  I picked the fruit when it was still 2/3 green and it has been sitting on my kitchen counter for the last 4 days. I may have picked it a bit early.  I ate the fruit at room temperature but I think chilled would have been better.  Another factor that might have altered the taste is that the vine is growing in limestone gravel.

Brandon

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 30, 2016, 11:19:00 PM »
Congrats on the fruit, good to hear about the taste. Sounds like the fruit has potential, especially processed. I wonder how it would taste in a rich soil.

8ofGac

• Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 13, 2016, 05:55:54 PM »
I was lucky to quickly snag up some Coinosicys macranthus from here http://www.rareseeds.com/panama-passionfruit-melon/

Unfortunately, I can't find much information on this on the internet at all. Was wondering if anyone else was growing it? I was planning to grow the vines up some oak trees. No idea how they will do in FL but its worth a shot.

Hey, nullzero i sent you a pm ?

Primavera2017

• Russian Federation
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 18, 2017, 04:43:24 AM »
Hello. Me need fresh seeds Cionosicyos macranthus. I from Russia.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk