Author Topic: Advice needed: Dig this sweet tart mango stump up or see what happens?  (Read 2023 times)

savemejebus

• Coral Springs, FL
    • View Profile
This was a young tree - started as 3 gallon and probably only in ground for a year. Irma had her way with it and caused the trunk to snap very low (looks like a few inches above the graft point). Should I just dig the roots out and put a new 3 gallon in, or should I see if it grows from where it is? Not sure what type of shape I can expect (assuming it grows) from such a low snap. Thoughts?

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Advice needed: Dig this sweet tart mango stump up or see what happens?
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2017, 03:04:45 PM »
I would keep it and see if you get any new growth in the next couple weeks. If the canopy was decent size, it probably has enough stored energy reserves to push new growth.

Simon

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2017, 05:55:56 PM »
Make sure it gets enough water and does not dry out. I think it will sprout new leaves and give you a bushy shape. All roots are intact, the snap off was above the graft line so (obviously) you will get sweet tart fruits, not root stock fruits.

FruitFool

• san diego, ca, USDA zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2017, 06:40:58 PM »
Whether it will be sweet tart or not depends if the new growth is above the graft or below, you can always graft later if the new growth is from root stock.

-FruitFool

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2017, 08:13:19 PM »
I might be the dissenting vote here. It was only in the ground for a year, and it looks like it had a few losing matches with a weed whacker. Given that Aug - Sept is the best time of year to plant a mango tree (due to a combo of factors -- the mango's natural root growth cycle being in the fall combined with the fact that rainy season still has a couple of months left), if you can find a replacement tree, I'd plop one in the ground.

Certainly it will grow back, but you're not really gaining anything by leaving it (other than the price of a new tree).
Jeff  :-)

Frog Valley Farm

• Messages have been disabled here
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2017, 08:20:51 PM »
🗯
« Last Edit: March 19, 2018, 09:04:15 PM by Frog Valley Farm »

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2017, 10:09:59 PM »
I usually would say top work but since it's only a year I think by the time it bounces back it would still be smaller than a 3gal.
Replace it with a 7gal if you can.

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2017, 10:21:04 PM »
The tree will likely be low and bushy because the entire top is gone. I'm not sure how much damage you sustained during Irma but I would hazard to guess you have other projects you would rather spend your money on than another tree if you could possibly salvage this one. Maybe you can at least use it for scions?

Simon

Jsvand5

• Ocala FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2017, 10:41:55 PM »
Assuming it pushes above the graft, I'd just train one new shoot as the central leader. Same as if it was a new graft.

TnTrobbie

• runs with pruners
  • ZonePusher has a spot for that.
    • 10b + 9b FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2017, 05:10:54 AM »
I'd keep it. It will start pushing new growth in about 21 days. Select 2-3 equidistant vigorious sprouts and train em to be more vertical. When established (bearing its own weight), tip tip tip the subsequent growth for a bushy tree.
The Earth laughs in flowers. And bear gifts through fruits.
No where to plant it ...but at least I got it. ;)
F*ck squirrels and deers

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2017, 09:29:56 AM »
Assuming it pushes above the graft, I'd just train one new shoot as the central leader. Same as if it was a new graft.

My vote too.  Because of an established rootstock I'd wait and see.  In order to get a low growing bushy tree I've topped all of my mangos above the graft and below the first node.  I now have a very nice 5' Lemon Zest with loads of fine scaffold branches for example.  You could train one to be your central leader or let it branch if you feel a low growing tree will work for you.  Here's The Stick.