Author Topic: Winter Annona growth in Florida  (Read 2133 times)

Vernmented

• Starry Nursery/Plant Hoarder/Zone Pusher/Biochar Enthusiast
    • USA, Florida, Sarasota, 9B/10A
    • View Profile
    • Starry Nursery Instagram
Winter Annona growth in Florida
« on: December 20, 2017, 10:57:28 AM »
Can I keep pushing Annona growth all winter with the proper microclimate/protection in Florida or are they daylight sensitive? What about indoor with lights?
-Josh

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
Re: Winter Annona growth in Florida
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2017, 03:54:04 PM »
I wondered the same thing. I have a Na Dai with a couple fruit developing now. Do they need
a cool dry period to fruit next year? After the hurricane flattened them and I staked them and
pruned heavy and removed the fruit all my trees have flushed out and I even have fruit forming on
the one Na Dai and a Lisa Atemoya. I sure hope we don't get a super cold night!
« Last Edit: December 20, 2017, 05:21:53 PM by achetadomestica »

dwfl

• Bokeelia
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2017, 04:32:44 PM »
Was just talking with Steve@ fruitscapes about this today. They do better with a sort of dormant season. Better off letting them do their normal thing and letting them go thru their normal cycle rather than messing with it. Which Annona sp?
« Last Edit: December 20, 2017, 04:34:34 PM by dwfl »

Vernmented

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2017, 07:43:18 PM »
One of my Atemoyas is loaded now and the other has about 5 or 6 fruit that set after the hurricane. The tree with all the fruit I didn't do any pre hurricane prep because it is sheltered and espaliered on a trellis. That one looks a little beat but still has quite a few ugly leaves hanging on. The other one was pruned to nubs before the hurricane hit and now it is dark green and looks like it is the middle of summer.

I was mostly thinking of getting a head start on rootstocks and whatnot. Get some seed trays going in doors with a humidity dome and step up some of the other small annonas. The majority is macroprophyllata, squamosa, reticulata, atemoya, mucosa, a few muricata and some montana for rootstock.
-Josh

dwfl

• Bokeelia
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2017, 08:12:11 PM »
One of my Atemoyas is loaded now and the other has about 5 or 6 fruit that set after the hurricane. The tree with all the fruit I didn't do any pre hurricane prep because it is sheltered and espaliered on a trellis. That one looks a little beat but still has quite a few ugly leaves hanging on. The other one was pruned to nubs before the hurricane hit and now it is dark green and looks like it is the middle of summer.

I was mostly thinking of getting a head start on rootstocks and whatnot. Get some seed trays going in doors with a humidity dome and step up some of the other small annonas. The majority is macroprophyllata, squamosa, reticulata, atemoya, mucosa, a few muricata and some montana for rootstock.

Ahh I was thinking more along the lines of in ground established trees. I don't see why not re: getting some started. I also have an atemoya in ground that got shredded by the Cane, it's coming back right now and flowering and I'm just letting it do it's thing. Some trees may be behaving differently with the hurricane/pre hurricane pruning

Tropheus76

• East Orlando 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2017, 08:38:24 AM »
Also, in 9b, aside from my Mountain annona, all of mine are in the process of dropping their leaves for the winter after our frosts from last week. Those the deer haven't yet destroyed anyway

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2017, 09:21:42 AM »
Mine have always had a dormant period in winter and then vigorous growth in spring.
John

Vernmented

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2017, 09:36:48 AM »
I just soaked some squamosa seeds last night that I have been way behind on planting. I guess I will leave them inside with a humidity dome and see if they come up.

Here is a video link to the tree that I pruned back to scaffolding before Irma.
IMG_6680

Here is a video of the trellised tree with a bunch of fruit.
IMG_6681
-Josh

Bananaizme

• USA , California,Visalia, sunset zone 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2017, 10:50:34 AM »
  Very nice looking tree Josh.

William

AnnonAddict

• Growing too many things at once
    • Santa Barbara, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2017, 02:09:24 PM »
Have some un mature fruits and quite a few flowers on Cherimoya trees and Rollinia which seem to be doing fine despite the cold and wind. Hasn't gone freezing yet. Thinking of moving the Rollinia inside.
Jackson