Author Topic: fusion power vs citrus trees  (Read 835 times)

poncirsguy

• Cincinnati, Ohio, USA, 6a/6b
    • View Profile
fusion power vs citrus trees
« on: August 29, 2022, 09:11:14 AM »
Growing citrus trees up north is like running a hydrogen fueled fusion electric powerplant.  The trees are  always just 5 years away from unlimited fruit production.  With a fusion power plant,  We'll find out who is cold hardy among us.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2022, 09:15:43 AM by poncirsguy »

Walt

• USA, Kansas, Kanopolis, zone 6
    • View Profile
Re: fusion power vs citrus trees
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2022, 11:10:37 AM »
Actually, when I started working on cold hardy citrus, I thought they were 30 years away.  Now I'm thinking as little as 5 years away.  Maybe.
Fusion power?  Maybe in my life time.  But I plan to live a long time.

poncirsguy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2022, 02:04:39 PM »
I am planning to live for a couple of hundred more years.  I will see cold hardy citrus here in Cincinnati and its zone 9b future growing season

pagnr

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2022, 03:41:59 AM »
Have you factors in those 40'c plus heat wave events in Canada last year ?
We have had 47'c a few times here, several years ago.

The heat wave appeared due to an exceptionally strong ridge centered over the area, whose strength was linked to the effects of climate change.[10][11] It resulted in some of the highest temperatures ever recorded in the region,[12] including the highest temperature ever measured in Canada at 49.6 °C (121.3 °F), as well as the highest temperatures in British Columbia, in the Northwest Territories, in the state of Washington as well as a tied record in Oregon. The record-high temperatures associated with the heat wave stretched from Oregon to northern Manitoba, and daily highs were set as far east as Labrador and as far southwest as Southern California. However, the Pacific Northwest suffered the vast majority of the disruption and damage connected with the extreme weather event.

Walt

• USA, Kansas, Kanopolis, zone 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2022, 09:13:48 AM »
And all of this is due to fusion power in the sun.  With a lot of help from the greenhouse effect. 
When I was growing up, temperatures of 100F made the news reports now and then.  People would talk about it for days.  But this summer we had 100+ (40-45C) day after day, week after week.  I got really tired of it.  And the garden suffered from it.  Other places had it much worse, of course.

1rainman

• Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2022, 04:28:21 PM »
I grew meyer lemons in containers in Cincinnati.

poncirsguy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2022, 10:32:15 AM »
I grew New Zealand lemonade in ground in Cincinnati.  It died this spring but I got 74 lemons off of it.  I replaced it with a Fukushu kumquat grown from seed.

How is  your Meyer doing now.

1rainman

• Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2022, 02:28:55 PM »
I'm in Florida. I left it in Cincinnati because it was too big to take with me. I don't know what happened to it. I'd like to get another one, but most sellers don't specify whether its a regular meyer or the dwarf type, with the exception of a few sellers outside of Florida but they can't ship here.

It's too brutally cold in Cincinnati for apples and peaches other than a few types of apples. It gets down to zero degrees in January. Pretty much have to take things inside during the winter.

poncirsguy

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2022, 03:09:19 PM »
https://www.briteleaf.com/product/meyer-lemon-dwarf/  In central Florida------Grafting: Grafted – Dwarfing Rootstock (US 897)