Author Topic: Papaya...damage already done?  (Read 12593 times)

Dangermouse01

• East coast, Central Florida
    • USA, Palm Bay, FL 32907, Zone 9B
    • View Profile
Papaya...damage already done?
« on: October 02, 2012, 05:46:10 PM »
Am I correct to assume that the little piles of waxy stuff on the young papaya fruit is an indicator that a papaya fruit fly has already visited? Or is it something normal with papaya or some other insect?
First time growing papaya so the papaya fruit fly indicators are new to me.

I am guessing PFF. So, dispose of those fruits, and start bagging the new ones as soon as it looks like fruit?

Anything else work at keeping the PFF away?
Does spraying with something like Surround help?
http://www.gardensalive.com/article.asp?ai=595

Thanks.
DM

GwenninPR

• Zone 13 , Puerto Rico
    • Rio Grande, Puerto Rico zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Puerto Rico Day Trips
Re: Papaya...damage already done?
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2012, 07:40:19 AM »
 I am interested in seeing the replies on this one.
I grow papayas in the yard and do get that white dots on them.  I assume it is a bug going into the skin.  However, I have never had bugs/maggots inside the fruit when I cut them open.

MangoFang

• Palm Springs, CA, Zone 9B
  • Palm Springs, CA
    • Riverside, Palm Springs/CA, 92264,9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2012, 09:38:48 AM »
...well DangerM - I know when I (or something else) bump, bruise or subtley cut or break the surface of the fruit when green, it always pushes its fluidic milk through the subtlest break in the skin, and then just dries and hardens over the wound.

I also get little white crystals on the skin, that again may be the milk just coming through for whatever reason, and then drying up.

No, I would not cut them off - not at all.  Not unless you see something going in or out of the spot....

Maybe try wiping those "spots" off with a damp rag or sponge - they might just disappear....

Do report back!

Fang

Central Floridave

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2012, 10:51:55 AM »
I wrap my papaya about at that size.   Yes, the wasp/fruit-fly may have all ready deposited the eggs. Or, maybe not.  You can't tell until the fruit develops more.

Mr. Clean

• FLMangos.com
    • US, FL, West Palm Beach, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
    • Florida's Finest Mangos
Papaya - Fruit Fly???
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2012, 02:09:23 PM »
DELETED
« Last Edit: April 16, 2014, 02:15:49 PM by Mr. Clean »
www.FLMangos.com

110+ fruit trees/plants; 60+ mango trees; 9 jackfruit; 6 avocado; 3 persimmon; longan; and a dog that keeps raccoons and squirrels away.

demingcr

• USA, Fort Myers, FL 33901 Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Papaya - Fruit Fly???
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2012, 02:51:48 PM »
I too would like to know the answer to this, similar markings on my Papaya - though the fruit keep growing and has been for weeks which everything I read/looked at for fruit fly infestation is that it drops the fruit early on if it is attacked.
- Colin

Central Floridave

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2012, 10:54:32 AM »
"too lazy to bag "

Its really not that hard. I just use newspaper and go out and wrap the entire fruit when they are small.  I leave enough room for the fruit to fill in. 

I've had fruit where it looked perfect and when I cut into it the fruit was actually perfect but squirmy maggots filled the seed area.  Yuck, didn't eat it.    That one was from an unwrapped papaya.  I've since wrap all the fruit now.  It works and is easy.  But, you gotta ask yourself how much you really like papaya?!?     You also have to have a good variety and seeds do not come true (all the time). 

jez251

• Miami, FL Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2012, 02:23:52 PM »
I always see the white waxy deposits on my papaya. I used to assume that any handling of the fruit caused enough of a bruise that the milky stuff would come out and form them. But then I started noticing them in the fruit on the tree, which I hadn't touched at all.., but the squirrels probably had.

So I've since assumed that any touching of the skin will produce those deposits.

Jaime

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2012, 05:29:37 PM »
Bagging the fruit is the best bet. not that hard for papaya, a lot easier to bag a dozen papaya than say, 150 mangoes :)
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

Central Floridave

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2012, 07:31:05 AM »

Of course when the papaya gets above ladder height then it gets more difficult, but I cut them down by then.

Mr. Clean

• FLMangos.com
    • US, FL, West Palm Beach, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
    • Florida's Finest Mangos
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2012, 12:35:38 PM »
"too lazy to bag "

Its really not that hard. I just use newspaper and go out and wrap the entire fruit when they are small.  I leave enough room for the fruit to fill in. 

I've had fruit where it looked perfect and when I cut into it the fruit was actually perfect but squirmy maggots filled the seed area.  Yuck, didn't eat it.    That one was from an unwrapped papaya.  I've since wrap all the fruit now.  It works and is easy.  But, you gotta ask yourself how much you really like papaya?!?     You also have to have a good variety and seeds do not come true (all the time).

How does the newspaper do in the rain?  Do you have to re-wraping them was the fruit get larger?
www.FLMangos.com

110+ fruit trees/plants; 60+ mango trees; 9 jackfruit; 6 avocado; 3 persimmon; longan; and a dog that keeps raccoons and squirrels away.

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2012, 02:12:35 PM »
Cut it down and plant a mango tree? 

Sounds good to me.

Central Floridave

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2012, 02:28:47 PM »
That newspaper has been on for 3 weeks and has been rained on numerous times.   I got two inches of rain last night. I'll check it later tonight to see if it is okay.     But, I suspect it is.   I need to check the fruit any way and see if it ready to pick...which is another topic within itself...How do you know when it is ready to pick?

cbss_daviefl

• USA, Southwest Ranches,FL 33331, 10B
    • View Profile
    • bfgtropicals.com
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2012, 03:35:36 PM »
I had a customer that was a papaya wholesaler and was a partner in the farmer in Brazil.  They picked the papayas when they are 1/4 colored and shipped them air freight to Miami and Ft Lauderdale.  They were picked and packed on day 1, on the plane on day 2, shipped to the retailer on day 3 or 4.  I think they were ripe by day 6 or 7.  They were excellent.
Brandon

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2012, 06:44:52 PM »
I had a customer that was a papaya wholesaler and was a partner in the farmer in Brazil.  They picked the papayas when they are 1/4 colored and shipped them air freight to Miami and Ft Lauderdale.  They were picked and packed on day 1, on the plane on day 2, shipped to the retailer on day 3 or 4.  I think they were ripe by day 6 or 7.  They were excellent.

Yes as soon as the fruit has a little yellowing, they can be harvested, I have seen many people post pictures of papaya trees with completely ripe fruit.  there is no need to let them get fully ripe and yellow on the tree first.  as long as you have just a hint of yellowing on the fruit, they can be harvested at that time. and will ripen up just fine.

Picking them sooner like that may help with some pests and critters, but fruit flies, can still get them when green, so if the flies are a problem in your area, bagging is a good idea.
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

jez251

• Miami, FL Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2012, 07:00:39 PM »
I've been enjoying papayas from my tree for the last month or so. It's the first time get over 20 fruit on one tree, plus the flavor is excellent.

I swear they have a hint of suntan oil in their flavor, which I love!

Jaime

nch

• SoCal
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2014, 06:01:52 AM »
I find those white sap spots after the squirrels' visits.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk