Author Topic: Momordica cochinchinensis disease  (Read 1165 times)

Petros45

• Greece, Crete, Heraklion, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Momordica cochinchinensis disease
« on: May 27, 2019, 12:41:10 PM »
Ι dont know what to do, its the same disease i had in broad bean plants and they transported to gac plant which they did wilted leaves, also a few days ago something like small caterpillars appeared. Could lead the plant to not bear fruit? and tell me a solution to my problem

Dangermouse01

• East coast, Central Florida
    • USA, Palm Bay, FL 32907, Zone 9B
    • View Profile
Re: Momordica cochinchinensis disease
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2019, 12:54:09 PM »

The bug is a lady bug larva. Good bug.

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2019, 01:20:46 PM »
The pictures aren't close enough to see, but it looks like there are aphids on your plant. If you don't know aphids find some photos.Look closely especially under leaves and on tender tips. Aphids can be vectors of several diseases. Ladybug larvae eat aphids but pesticides kill both aphids and ladybugs.

Petros45

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2019, 02:22:44 PM »
yeah it seems is aphids or blackfly and is under leaves as you said, about the larvae ladybugs i thought the same that is harmless, but what can i do about aphids

Petros45

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2019, 02:50:13 PM »
otherwise i will leave the plant as it is except if there is a way that will not harm the ladybug larva

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2019, 02:58:39 PM »
You might consider drastic pruning of Gac to remove everything hosting aphid and start over. Gac is very vigorous and can regrow strongly if given best care possible. I found a Gac seedling a few weeks ago and cut most top off it quickly regrew in a pot. Usually aphids target weakened plants probably the beans were original host then they moved to next host. Given time I have seen Gac will build a large swollen root mass of 10 kg or more which will re-grow very quickly and live for years.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk