Author Topic: Hardy Citrus Taste  (Read 1438 times)

will2358

• USA, Peachtree City, GA, zone 8a
    • View Profile
Hardy Citrus Taste
« on: June 29, 2019, 08:28:07 PM »
What hardy citrus trees have good flavor? I know the statsumas are good but what other hardy citrus have good flavor? I don't care if they have seeds. I grew up eating citrus with seeds so I don't mind seeds, that's why I ordered the Chagsha.
My name is Cindy

SoCal2warm

• zone 10 and zone 8a
    • View Profile
Re: Hardy Citrus Taste
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2019, 09:11:51 PM »
"good taste" is relative, and "hardy citrus" is a bit relative as well

Because of this, there's not really a simple answer to your question. (Your question is a little vague)

It might be simpler if you researched the hardy citrus varieties one by one, and first identified the ones that would be likely to grow in your zone and climate.

None of the other hardy citrus really taste as good as Satsuma.

will2358

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2019, 09:36:33 PM »
Something that I can eat like changsha or use like meyer lemon. I use to have a ponderosa years back (pre illness) that I found was not very hardy and had very little pulp. It was all rind. I also had a buddha's hand that was of no use except putting frangrance in the air and looking pretty. I have watched some youtube videos where I see cold hardy citrus grower showing there plants but saying they don't taste very good. I don't want to grow them as ornamental but to harvest and use. I don't know all of the hardy citrus variety so it would be hard to look them up.If you type in hardy citus you get Owari satsuma and meyer lemon. I found out about Changsha after seeing it on Ebay a few years back. And it was located in Portugal.
My name is Cindy

SoCal2warm

• zone 10 and zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2019, 11:12:57 PM »
Sunquat is a hybrid between kumquat and Satsuma, and may be a tinier bit hardier than Satsuma.
That may be a good one for your climate.

There's also Arctic Frost Satsuma (a Satsuma x Changsha hybrid), which can be a little hard to find, and if you do find it is likely to be kind of expensive.
Mine unfortunately didn't survive here in zone 8a, but this is in the PNW, it got planted outside too early last year and had trouble adjusting to the temperatures, suffered dieback, wasn't that strong so might not have been able to have the energy to survive the following winter, and was planted in a colder part of the yard that got little sun during the Winter. I suspect it would probably do much better where you are.

My personal opinion, with very limited funds, you're probably out of luck.
No one can easily answer your questions, unless your questions are very specific, and you're willing to accept some vague very simple answers.
Your best bet would be to go back and read some of the old things posted here.

AndrewAZ

• Scottsdale, AZ zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2019, 12:03:34 AM »
If you are in zone 8a, not much.  Changsha mandarin would be the best, but I know a lot of people that lost them in zone 8a 2 years back.  The thing I found living in zone 8a, is a lot of sources overestimate hardiness and flavor.  If I lived there now, I would buy trees on dwarfing rootstocks and leave them in pots and bring them inside when too cold.  But, if you really want to plant something, go to McKenzie farms.  Has a nice website and probably the best selection of cold hardy citrus.  And, he is a hell of a nice guy!

will2358

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2019, 02:11:58 AM »
My changsha is coming from McKenzie. You know he is zone 8a and is growing all of that citrus. I have watched some YouTube videos about his farm and he has a lot more varieties than listed on his website.
My name is Cindy

Sylvain

• Bergerac, France
    • View Profile
    • Looking for Wakonai.
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2019, 05:04:33 AM »
Prague chimera with no doubt.