Author Topic: Decades ago, he stole a tree branch. Now he is the Durian King (article)  (Read 1985 times)

CherimoyaDude

• San Francisco / Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
Interesting article about the producer of Musang King and durian industry.
https://www.latimes.com/world/asia/la-fg-col1-malaysia-durians-china-20190704-htmlstory.html

OCchris1

• Old Towne Orange, CA 10B
    • View Profile
That's awesome. Thanks for the post dude
-Chris

sahai1

• NST, THAILAND
    • View Profile
nice read, havn't tried the Musang King yet, but I'm sure Thai growers will catch up soon and price will drop.  Mostly stick to Chanee now, not a fan of Mongthong, but will eat any kind really!

joseph24

• Poston, CA
    • View Profile
nice read, havn't tried the Musang King yet, but I'm sure Thai growers will catch up soon and price will drop.  Mostly stick to Chanee now, not a fan of Mongthong, but will eat any kind really!
Neither do I, looking forward to try.

Finca La Isla

• Costa Rica, Southern Caribbean coast
    • View Profile
    • finca la isla
A newer durian, black thorn D-200, is now worth much more than musang king on the Malaysian retail market.  Black thorn is a Penang variety that is now being grown for export as well. 
Since Malaysians let the durians fall instead of cutting the stem their durians have been too ripe to freeze conventionally for export.  Now with liquid nitrogen freezing they are entering the export market with quality that should surpass the ethylene ripened Thai durians.
Peter

sahai1

• NST, THAILAND
    • View Profile
A newer durian, black thorn D-200, is now worth much more than musang king on the Malaysian retail market.  Black thorn is a Penang variety that is now being grown for export as well. 
Since Malaysians let the durians fall instead of cutting the stem their durians have been too ripe to freeze conventionally for export.  Now with liquid nitrogen freezing they are entering the export market with quality that should surpass the ethylene ripened Thai durians.
Peter

I literally can not eat ethylene ripened Durians, they give me headaches, if you buy a Mongthong from Tops you will get that.

For Durian, I only go to the wholesale market near my house, where vendors buy by truckload, I have a vendor which allows me to shop her wholesale lots (which is technically not allowed) for the largest Chanee.  These are undesirable to Thai people because larger than normal Durians contain an abundance of seed/flesh/skin etc.. so you are paying for waste.  However I find that these Durians are predictably tree ripened longer, they were the first to flower, and signal the overabundance of the crop, these are the fruits that rot or are eaten by the owners, only a few make it into the truck lots.  ** Because they are hard to sell, even wholesale buyers are paying for 'waste.'

Thailand also has an overabundance of new varieties premiering at festivals yearly for high pricing, always the 'next best thing.'  I'll stick to my Chanee, I tend to disagree with the Durian aficionado's taste buds, proper Chanee is as good as it gets for me.  I would imagine if any of these new Durians entered into the wholesale market, pricing would stabilize, pricing now is based on demand, not quality imo, they are not better than Chanee, just different.

Maybe rumors, but besides ethylene painted stems, I have heard of actual ethanol injected into fruits, but maybe hyperbole.

Finca La Isla

• Costa Rica, Southern Caribbean coast
    • View Profile
    • finca la isla
Yes, I understand that the tree ripened Chanee is a terrific fruit.  Interesting how you are able to find superior fruit, and I guess at a very good price too.  Congrats!
Peter

TropicalFruitHunters

• USA, Columbus, OH, xxxxx Zone 5b
    • View Profile
    • Tropical Fruit Hunters
Sahai1...have you been to Suan La-Ong-Fah yet?  Their varieties are killer!

sahai1

• NST, THAILAND
    • View Profile
sounds cool, never been.  I think best thing for Durian aficionado is to visit in July and just go to Chantaburi, this is the Durian nation wide wholesale market.