Author Topic: Finally Removeing my Gold Nugget Mandarin Tree  (Read 3666 times)

Johnny Eat Fruit

• So. California, Huntington Beach. Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Finally Removeing my Gold Nugget Mandarin Tree
« on: July 17, 2019, 02:00:18 PM »
After nine years my Gold Nugget mandarin on C-35 has produced on one good crop. The tree is too tall, grows fast once established and requires constant maintenance to keep it under (14) feet.  By giving it a haircut every year this reduces new fruit production for the following season. The Gold Nugget also is alternative bearing like most mandarins but I found the fruit quality to be variable with some fruit being excellent and others to be dry and fibrous. My Yosemite Gold has both more reliable production and fruit quality and my Cara Cara Pink Navel produces excellent fruit each year with a much smaller foot print. In my view both of these trees are superior to the Gold Nugget.

If I had more room in the backyard and was to do it over again I might plant one Gold Nugget on semi dwarf Trifoliate root stock but there are other citrus trees that offer better long term consistency. 

Johnny

Samu

• North Tustin, So. California, Zone 10A
    • View Profile
Re: Finally Removeing my Gold Nugget Mandarin Tree
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2019, 06:31:20 PM »
I got to thinking maybe I should do something with my Golden Nugget tree too?!

They were planted almost 4 yrs ago, side by side with a Kishu Mandarin at about the same 5G size; the Kishu has been a prolific producers the last 2 years; but none from the Golden Nugget; also the Kishu tree size overwhelmed the nugget by about 5:1 easy!
So, I am thinking maybe take out the Nugget, and give all the space to Kishu.

Note: The Kishu was from local Durling Nursery while the Nugget was a tree given to me from my sister in San Jose, Ca; maybe it doesn't adapt well with our SoCal climate; just wondering if that maybe the reason for it's retarded growth...

Sam

Johnny Eat Fruit

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2019, 09:22:46 AM »
If you have a Gold Nugget you do Not want to place it in close proximity to any other fruit tree. Over time the GN Mandarin will tower above any tree close to it and block light. Also it's aggressive root system will crowd out anything close. If you want this tree the only solution is one with a semi-dwarf root stock but you will likely have to wait a long time (5-6 years minimum) for meaningful fruit production to begin.  I would much rather get a navel orange tree as they start production within several years of planting and much more consistent than the Gold Nugget. Just my experience growing citrus for 30 years.

Johnny
« Last Edit: July 18, 2019, 09:28:51 AM by Johnny Eat Fruit »

Oolie

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2019, 01:10:48 PM »
I have had a couple good ones during a single tasting, but they were not superior to pixie in the same tasting.

Every other time I have tried gold nugget (approximately 6 times) it has tasted like cilantro.

Satsuma is far superior, as well as 88-2.

I can't wait to try the gold series.

Isaac-1

• western Louisiana zone 8b/9a line
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2019, 06:07:35 PM »
Johnny, what do you consider close spacing?

Johnny Eat Fruit

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2019, 08:12:39 PM »
For the Gold Nugget close spacing is 10 feet or less on standard rootstock. The tree will grow so tall over time it will block out sunlight for trees in close proximity.

On C-35 rootstock the GN will reach 18-20 feet tall. On Semi Dwarf rootstock it should be around 12-13 feet at maturity. It usually produces a crop every other year when it finally does start to produce. (It's a long wait)

The biggest problem with this cultivar is in inconsistent fruit quality. When you get a good one it is top tier and very sweet but some are only fair in quality and others get puffy and fibrous and are awfull.

I can not recommend the Gold Nugget for the homeowners unless you have plenty of room and are very, very patient.

The Yosemite Gold produces earlier, has consistent fruit quality and in my opinion, is more attractive as the leaves are bigger and deeper green. The Yosemite Gold is moderately tall and bushier than the Gold Nugget which is more erect.  My YG is a keeper and produces large seedless fruit with a wonderful rich flavor. 

Johnny 

loneroc1

• Lone Rock Wisconsin USA USDA Zone 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2019, 09:10:05 AM »
Has anyone had success with GN in a greenhouse?  I've got one on Flying Dragon planted in the ground.  It produces lanky growth which I've been working to contain. Also have had no fruit so far. The commercial GN fruit I've eaten has been inconsistent bur mostly pretty good.  I planted it because of its late fruiting.  There's very little later winter fruit here in zone 3 (minus40°F/C here this year). Steve H
« Last Edit: July 25, 2019, 07:08:54 AM by loneroc1 »

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2019, 01:31:47 PM »
Based on the inconsistent quality of Gold Nugget fruit from the grocery store, I am planning to ditch my Gold Nugget tree.  It seems to be overly sweet, sometimes dry and puffy.  I'm keeping tango, shuranui, xie shan, kishu, owari ... for now.  Will probably whittle it down to just one mandarin eventually. 

Johnny Eat Fruit

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2019, 03:50:02 PM »
You are highly unlikely to find a top tier Gold Nugget purchased from a grocery store but it is possible to get one from a more mature home grown tree. At it's best the GN is like liquid sunshine with a intense sweetness and a moderate mandarin flavor. It is the sweetest citrus I have tasted but not the most richly flavored. The Page, Yosemite Gold and Kinnow all have a richer mandarin flavor compared to the Gold Nugget. The Kinnow mandarin is the best tasting of the bunch but it has one major flaw, 25 seeds per fruit. Also the Gold Nugget is not as juicy as most tangerines, similar to a Washington Navel orange, so if you like to make mandarin juice the Page is perfect because of the high juice content and rich flavor but they tend to be small in size.

It is interesting to note if you choose to grow the Gold Nugget younger trees (less than 6 years) tend to produce mediocre fruit. Older trees will give you a glimpse of what GN is capable of. Look for small to medium size fruit where the skin is thin and tight. About 35-40% of the crop will be in this category and they will be excellent (top tier). Another 35-40% will be fair to good but nothing exceptional in terms of quality, only average. About 25% of the crop will be large lumpy and fibrous balls that are completely worthless and go right into my trash can.

There you have it. I think most people only need one mandarin tree but think hard before deciding which one it is.

Johnny   
« Last Edit: July 22, 2019, 03:52:42 PM by Johnny Eat Fruit »

brian

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2019, 04:53:22 PM »
The only home grown citrus trees around here are the ones in my greenhouse :)

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2019, 05:14:24 PM »
GN is performing well here.  Makes lots of fruit on young tree and they taste excellent and are all juicy.  I told my other buddy who lives inland SD and grows many types that people on here were yanking GN trees.  He gave me the ??? look. 
Brad Spaugh

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2019, 05:17:08 PM »
Based on the inconsistent quality of Gold Nugget fruit from the grocery store, I am planning to ditch my Gold Nugget tree.  It seems to be overly sweet, sometimes dry and puffy.  I'm keeping tango, shuranui, xie shan, kishu, owari ... for now.  Will probably whittle it down to just one mandarin eventually.

You are removing trees based on fruit you had from a grocery store in PA?  They probably had to import those from very far away.  Why not grow yours and see how they are.  The ones I have bought from farmers markets are hit and miss but my homegrowns are excellent. 
Brad Spaugh

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2019, 10:05:41 PM »
GN is a top variety in my book. Mine is on dwarf or semi dwarf rootstock and it is consistent in its bearing habit because I thin the fruit in bumper crop years. When my tree was first planted, I tipped the scaffold branches to encourage a lower canopy.

The first two years of fruiting, the fruit quality was inconsistent as can be expected with any unestablished tree. After the second year, the fruit has been consistently high quality.

Are you guys fertilizing on a regular schedule?

GN if not thinned in bumper crop years will have a much smaller harvest in the following year. I keep my tree about 4 feet tall and about 5 feet wide.

Simon

Johnny Eat Fruit

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2019, 02:48:04 PM »
How long has your GN been in the ground Simon.?

You were smart to plant a semi-dwarf tree.

The Gold Nugget has a tendency to get very tall over time.  At first, it will seem manageable but after a decade it will be almost as tall as a grapefruit tree on comparable rootstock, but not as wide.   

Every mandarin tree I have grown over the years alternate bears even with thinning.  It will be interesting to see how your fruit quality is over time with your trifoliate rootstock. I suspect it will be better than mine on C-35 standard rootstock.  Much happier with the more consistent fruit quality of the Yosemite Gold even though it is not as sweet as the Gold Nugget.  Hopefully, you will not get many of those big puffed up round balls of fiber on your semi-dwarf like I got on my C-35 but only time will tell.

Good Luck

Johnny

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2019, 08:36:39 PM »
How long has your GN been in the ground Simon.?

You were smart to plant a semi-dwarf tree.

The Gold Nugget has a tendency to get very tall over time.  At first, it will seem manageable but after a decade it will be almost as tall as a grapefruit tree on comparable rootstock, but not as wide.   

Every mandarin tree I have grown over the years alternate bears even with thinning.  It will be interesting to see how your fruit quality is over time with your trifoliate rootstock. I suspect it will be better than mine on C-35 standard rootstock.  Much happier with the more consistent fruit quality of the Yosemite Gold even though it is not as sweet as the Gold Nugget.  Hopefully, you will not get many of those big puffed up round balls of fiber on your semi-dwarf like I got on my C-35 but only time will tell.

Good Luck

Johnny

My Gold Nugget has been in the ground about 6 years and I consistently get a good harvest from my tree for the last 5 years or so.

Standard trees grow significantly faster and reward you with much more fruit in the early years but they require much more pruning if you are trying to keep them small. All my Citrus are planted using ultra high density spacing with centers around 6 feet if I remember correctly. I’ll take a measurement when I get home. Because I keep my trees so small, I don’t get as much fruit as standard trees but combined with my other Citrus trees, it provides enough fruit for my family.

I also multigraft my citruses so my GN has Cara Cara Orange and Shiranui on it. I also have Tango with Kishu and Nagami. I also have a Meyer Lemon with Eureka lemon, Red Fingerlime and some others I can’t remember.

If I leave my fruit on the tree for a very long time, they get huge and the skin gets puffy and the sacs can get dry but that’s expected if you leave fruit hanging for super long periods of time.

Simon

brian

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2019, 08:17:38 AM »
In my greenhouse I have 6ft tree spacing also, glad to hear it is working for you.  I just planted my trees in ground recently, so they arent touching yet

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2019, 03:27:32 PM »
I checked my citrus spacing yesterday and they are 5 feet apart and not 6 feet. They form a small hedge with this tight spacing.

Simon

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2019, 01:02:47 AM »
I have Gold Nugget in-ground, my tree is about 10+yrs old, and it gives good tasting fruit each year. My GN is on semi-drawf rootstock. I like the taste of my GN, it tastes pretty good compared to my kishu, tango, satsumas, shiranui, ponkan, honey, murcott, Iyo mikan, kiyomi and ugli tangelo. I've been growing citrus in same house for 30+ yrs as well.

The tree is about 8 ft tall, I don't trim it much to keep it at this height. I have high density planting of my fruit trees, my citrus trees are about 5-10ft apart (with pak-mulberry, loquats, persimmons, cherimoya in-between). Valentine/cocktail/pomelo trees are about twice as tall on standard rootstock and I need to cut them down to 12 feet every year.

Johnny Eat Fruit

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2019, 11:47:18 AM »
You can likely manage size of your Gold Nugget on semi dwarf root stock. I finally just completed the removal of my tree and so glad I did. There is so much more room now in my backyard now with that tree gone. My tree was crowing out everything is close proximity including one of my mango trees. You can only eat so much citrus during the main citrus season (January to May) and my Navel Orange, Yosemite Gold, Oroblanco and a few other grafts provide more than enough for our family. Still love the Page for juicing and the Kinnow for its superior flavor later in the season.

Johnny

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
    • LED Bulbs for Landscape Lighting
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2019, 05:25:28 PM »
Every mandarin tree I have grown over the years alternate bears even with thinning.

for this reason I have multi grafting all my citrus, now I get crop every year, heavy in one or another, but consistent in my yard combined. Best tasting in my yard is Tango, absolutely love it. Sumo was also top producer and very large size. waiting on Xie Shan and will taste it for first time.