Author Topic: any kadsura coccinea successfully planted ?  (Read 9233 times)

Reedo

• Santa Cruz, CA - zone 9b
    • View Profile
Re: any kadsura coccinea successfully planted ?
« Reply #50 on: October 23, 2022, 09:45:55 PM »
And until now, I was so sure I was the only one in the state that had K. coccinea. I'll have to scratch that taxon off my "I'm surely the only one..." list.  ;)

My problem is similar - too many and too large. The ones in the ground (wild type) are well established, having been there since June, and will soon get a heavy mulching. We'll see what happens.

As for my container plants (hybrids), the mainstems are too large not to attempt rooting (see photo) when I cut them to bring them inside. My success rate in rooting various Schisandra spp. is close to 100%, so I'm thinking there is a good chance of success, especially since K. coccinea apparently remains evergreen in tropical climates, which implies that unlike most Schisandra spp., the time of year may not be a factor in propagating via cuttings.

That's exciting. I'll look forward to hearing how your rooting trials go! I'd love to try growing the hybrid. I have several seedlings in the ground that are starting to make their way up my fence.

elouicious

• Houston, Tx
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 24, 2022, 12:45:40 AM »
Very glad to see interest in this species and genus growing as well,

I got 25 Kadsura longipedunculata seeds from tradewindsfruit that will go into germination now.

Would love to get in line for some of those hybrids Ted, and thanks again for joining!

Ted B

• USA, Alabama, Birmingham, 7b/8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 24, 2022, 08:40:26 AM »
Absolutely, I'll keep participants in this discussion informed. My two hybrids I grew from seed, therefore being genetically different (capable of cross pollinating and fruiting), so I will try to root an equal number each (#1 and #2) so I can offer them in pairs.

vnomonee

• Zone 7a northeastern NJ
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 25, 2022, 06:37:23 PM »
Here is an update from the inground seeds planted in May.
Very slow growth, the stem doesn't look woody yet, hope it does soon before frosts.

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 25, 2022, 06:49:31 PM »
Had 2 in the ground, they were doing ok, now both dead. I don't think they liked my soil or water PH, very alkaline.

W.

• United States, Alabama, 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 25, 2022, 07:44:16 PM »
Here is an update from the inground seeds planted in May.
Very slow growth, the stem doesn't look woody yet, hope it does soon before frosts.

Looks pretty similar to what mine looked like at that age. For their first year, they grew slowly. Mine are in pots, so they have never had to worry about frosts and freezes. If you are worried about yours freezing, look into some sort of temporary protection.

vnomonee

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 26, 2022, 01:09:16 AM »
thanks, I think I'm going to add a few more bricks and then put some frost cloth over the whole thing. Some light will still get through the frost cloth

vnomonee

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 28, 2022, 02:50:43 PM »
Here's an update on my inground plant.

We had a low of 5f/-15c over the weekend. Only protected by bricks and frost cloth.

It's now Wed. and I went to take the fabric off because we are above freezing for the rest of the week.

FV Fruit Freak

• USA, Southern California, Fountain Valley, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 12, 2023, 12:05:02 AM »
Hello fellow Kadsura growers, hoping someone can tell if these are flower buds or vegetative growth buds in the picture below, buds are reddish in color and covering the entire vine from top to bottom. Vine is about three years old and has been in the ground a couple years. Thanks.

Ted B- Nice vines man!
« Last Edit: January 12, 2023, 12:09:49 AM by FV Fruit Freak »
Nate

pinkturtle

• LA county, CA Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 12, 2023, 12:51:54 AM »
Hello fellow Kadsura growers, hoping someone can tell if these are flower buds or vegetative growth buds in the picture below, buds are reddish in color and covering the entire vine from top to bottom. Vine is about three years old and has been in the ground a couple years. Thanks.

Ted B- Nice vines man!

The flowering season in China is between April -July and fruit harvest around Nov. 
Here is some pictures of the Kadsura.
https://baike.baidu.com/pic/%E9%BB%91%E8%80%81%E8%99%8E/4967058?albumId=1361663969&bk_fr=view_album

FV Fruit Freak

• View Profile
« Reply #60 on: January 12, 2023, 10:20:23 AM »
Thanks for the great pictures pink, you’re invited to the first tasting  ;) These are looking like flower buds to me  ;D
Nate

NateTheGreat

• SF Bay Area, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 12, 2023, 10:29:55 AM »
I don't think those are flower buds. I got a couple flowers on my K. japonica once around June, don't think the buds looked like that.

FV Fruit Freak

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 12, 2023, 10:45:20 AM »
Gotcha, thanks Nate! Ya...I was trying to be optimistic but the vines do look a little wimpy to support any fruit.
Nate

vnomonee

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 12, 2023, 02:40:34 PM »
Just an update, we had another polar vortex 1f/-17.7c.

The kadsura seedling is still alive! So this seems like a zone 7a plant for sure, at least to the ground level since the upper part of the plant did get damaged as shown in my previous photo. There are healthy green buds below the damaged leaves which will grow out in the spring.

FloridaManDan

• Fort Lauderdale, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 12, 2023, 06:38:41 PM »
Very glad to see interest in this species and genus growing as well,

I got 25 Kadsura longipedunculata seeds from tradewindsfruit that will go into germination now.

Would love to get in line for some of those hybrids Ted, and thanks again for joining!

Any update elouicious? I also got a bunch from trade winds months ago with no luck.

vnomonee

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 13, 2023, 04:57:27 PM »
Here's the seedling that survived all winter with low of 1f/-17.7c, pic from this afternoon

Ted B

• USA, Alabama, Birmingham, 7b/8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 01, 2023, 01:22:53 PM »

After putting my mature-sized plants into ground for their first winter here in Birmingham, Alabama, USA (Zone 7b/8a), I am pleased to report that I am seeing signs of new growth from the base. I placed a generous heap of oak/hickory leaf mulch around the bases of the plants before the first hard freeze. From my notes, the plants did not defoliate until the overnight temperature dropped below 27F (-3C). We had a couple of nights down to 10F (-12C). This answers my question concerning survivability of mature plants in an open situation, however, it does not answer the question as to if the plants will ever have sufficient energy to fruit if they must grow new stems every season instead of resprouting on older wood. If the older stems prove to be dead wood (won't know for a month or two), I'm afraid these may never be productive unless kept as a container plant and overwintered indoors just about anywhere cooler than maybe Zones 9-10.

Jeramyl

• San Diego, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 02, 2023, 02:30:36 AM »
Absolutely, I'll keep participants in this discussion informed. My two hybrids I grew from seed, therefore being genetically different (capable of cross pollinating and fruiting), so I will try to root an equal number each (#1 and #2) so I can offer them in pairs.

That would be great Ted.  I’d love to see if I could get this to work and fruit out here in San Diego.  I better start soon, since it sounds like it will take a while.

Bought a new home a couple years ago and took out almost every plant to start from scratch.  It’s been fun to plan what to grow.  This would be a really interesting addition. 

Fingers crossed you have success rooting these.

vnomonee

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 16, 2023, 04:57:54 PM »
My kadsura survived it's first winter in zone 7a with damage but has recovered and is now growing a vine

BloomAndSprout

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 26, 2023, 05:43:23 PM »
Is there any trustworthy source to get these plants?  I'm more than curious about these.

MarktLee

• USA, California, Chula Vista Z24
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 27, 2023, 08:37:55 PM »
Nice Nate,

I just got one and expect good results down here in San Diego. It's a tough plant to find.

Mark

vnomonee

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 27, 2023, 08:52:58 PM »
I bought seeds. Didn't want to risk an expensive plant to the elements so risked multiple seedlings instead.

nattyfroootz

• Santa Cruz California
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 28, 2023, 10:43:48 AM »
Is there any trustworthy source to get these plants?  I'm more than curious about these.

I will have seedlings available in the next month or two
Grow cooler fruits

www.wildlandsplants.com

BloomAndSprout

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 29, 2023, 12:52:03 PM »

I will have seedlings available in the next month or two

I may still be interested by then if I am unable to obtain any.  If the price is right I may pick up additional ones.  I'm basically looking for various varieties.  There's one seller on Etsy I've ordered one I've yet to receive that may or may not be self-fertile; seller claims self-fertile, but given all I've read about this flower they may be mistaken..  Living in USDA zone 7b this seems like a particularly interesting plant to experiment growing in the ground outside but of course I'd want multiple plants before I attempt that (I keep many of my tropicals in containers).

Does anyone know how well this plant flowers and fruits in the shade, out of curiosity? 

Reedo

• Santa Cruz, CA - zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 29, 2023, 03:40:00 PM »

My friend's young plant is in mostly shade and seems to flower well. His plant is still quite young.