Author Topic: Leaving Mango Grafts for 5 weeks  (Read 878 times)

Viraldonutz

• La Mesa, San Diego, 10a
    • View Profile
Leaving Mango Grafts for 5 weeks
« on: June 23, 2020, 11:04:28 AM »
Unfortunately, I have to leave town for three weeks, and I just attempted 24 grafts one week ago -- they'll be 5 weeks old when I return.

Will this be a problem, dooming them to failure?  I was planning on keeping a close eye, but now I'm not sure what to do.

I have them all set up with drip irrigation keeping the rootstock well-watered, and I rigged up a homemade greenhouse to keep them in to protect from direct sun...

Is there anything I can do before I leave other than hope and pray?
--Jake

Goyo626

• USA, CA, West Covina, SZ20/21 USDA 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Leaving Mango Grafts for 5 weeks
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2020, 11:50:33 AM »
Check weather reports. If its going to be too hot maybe some sort of shade protection might be warranted.

Viraldonutz

• La Mesa, San Diego, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2020, 03:05:40 PM »
My "greenhouse" (I use the term loosely) gets morning shade (from the house) and late afternoon shade from a pomegranate tree.

The breeze can also get underneath the plastic, so I think I'm okay, even in hot weather.  There's drip irrigation set up so that each tree gets about a quart of water per day (half in morning, half in evening).

My current plan is to pull them out and inspect them one more time before I leave.  What should I be looking for?  Any suggestions?
--Jake

Tommyng

• Acreage florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2020, 03:38:00 PM »
Trees will be fine , you did a good job. I’d probably poke holes in the top for supplemental rain and air flow.
Don’t rush, take time and enjoy life and food.

Jose Spain

• Marbella, Spain. Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2020, 04:17:19 PM »
My "greenhouse" (I use the term loosely) gets morning shade (from the house) and late afternoon shade from a pomegranate tree.

The breeze can also get underneath the plastic, so I think I'm okay, even in hot weather. 

My current plan is to pull them out and inspect them one more time before I leave.  What should I be looking for?  Any suggestions?

I'd check temperature in and out at the hottest hours to make sure it's not getting to hot inside, a structure like that if air can not circulate properly can get really hot. It could be also useful to cut off the buds under the scions, even the smallest ones can push quickly the first weeks after grafting and dry out the scion.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk