Author Topic: Mango grafting season coming to an end. What have you ordered?  (Read 1125 times)

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
I have ordered Phoenix and Val-Carrie from Tropical Acres Farms. Their budwood sales end  August 31st 2020
I am done for the season but i may graft Buxton Spice in the spring :)
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

JakeFruit

• Mod Emeritus
  • FL Gulf Coast Fruit Lover Spam Fighter
    • zone 10A
    • View Profile
Re: Mango grafting season coming to an end. What have you ordered?
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2020, 10:21:27 AM »
I was trying to target early, late, easy and popular. The scions arrived in early July from Truly Tropical. My successes:

Early: Guava, Rosiegold
Late: Honey Kiss, Neelam
Easy: Pickering, Duncan (still hasn't pushed, scion looks very healthy), PSM (not sure it's easy, wanted a crunchy, green-eating mango)
Popular:(

Graft Failures: Angie, Lemon Zest and Orange Sherbet. Not too sad about Angie. LZ has been particularly frustrating, I've attempted 7 scions over the last two seasons, all fail fast. OS was grafted on 3 very healthy rootstocks, really expected at least one to take.

Viraldonutz

• La Mesa, San Diego, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2020, 02:32:36 PM »
In June, I grafted:

Fruit Punch
LZ
Sunrise
CAC/COC
Coconut Cream
Manohar
Parson

I got at least one scion to take on all of them -- the LZ was the toughest, though... I had 2 scions die, 1 grow, and one is just sitting there laughing at me, not growing, but still green. Coconut Cream was also difficult, I had 2 scions die. FP and Sunrise growing real slow -- COC, Manohar, and Parson took off wonderfully!

Currently, I'm waiting on an order from Tropical Acres with the following:

Pickering (to replace my tree that died from heat -- I assume)
Maha Chanok
Super Julie - J12
Sugarloaf - E4
Orange Sherbet
Venus
Buttercream
M-4

Getting 2 scions each... I hope to start grafting this evening!
--Jake

Satya

• North Miami Beach, FL , Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • Growing rare tropicals and fruit trees.
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2020, 07:30:27 PM »
Grafts this season were :

Fairchild Saigon to Glenn
Carla to Fruit Punch
Ambika to Neelam and Amrapali
Crème Brulee to Super Glenn branches.
Kesar, Sindhu, USDA Himsagar and Dusheri to Fairchild . Fairchild will be my Indian mango cocktail.
ST Maui to Coconut cream. Not sure how many years Coco cream will take to start producing :)
Sein Ta Leone to some branches of Cac
White pirie to Angie. Angie has been hit or miss in taste in my area.
Little Gem to Carrie branch.
Karen Michelle to Edward- failed many times, I think it is because the rootstock has looked sickly.

I purchased scions from Truly Trop. in 2019 with 90% failures, so tried Tropical acres this year and have 90% success. I don't know if I got more experienced this year or scions are fresh from Tropical acres I don't know but I am going to stick to this place. Done with mango grafting for this year or hopefully for many years to come …...:) oh wait what was that p-22, and heard J-14 is releasing soon, and when is super alphonso coming :))

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2020, 08:36:13 PM »

Carla to Fruit Punch
Kesar, Sindhu, USDA Himsagar and Dusheri to Fairchild . Fairchild will be my Indian mango cocktail.
ST Maui to Coconut cream. Not sure how many years Coco cream will take to start producing :)
Karen Michelle to Edward- failed many times, I think it is because the rootstock has looked sickly.

I purchased scions from Truly Trop. in 2019 with 90% failures, so tried Tropical acres this year and have 90% success. I don't know if I got more experienced this year or scions are fresh from Tropical acres I don't know but I am going to stick to this place. Done with mango grafting for this year or hopefully for many years to come …...:) oh wait what was that p-22, and heard J-14 is releasing soon, and when is super alphonso coming :))
I agree not induced visibly pushing. Quite impressive how much is admission. :) Some day I would like to compare Amrapali with Mallika in a side by side taste test

I recommend you try Graham next season
« Last Edit: August 25, 2020, 08:53:40 PM by bovine421 »
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

Satya

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2020, 09:11:36 PM »

Carla to Fruit Punch

I agree not induced visibly pushing. Quite impressive how much is admission. :) Some day I would like to compare Amrapali with Mallika in a side by side taste test

I recommend you try Graham next season

That looks colorful indeed. My Amrapali and Ambika cocktail is doing very well, both growing in equal vigor, and i heard both are late season. Leaves of Amrapali had a sweet and citrusy smell, not spicy like Neelam's leaves smell. I am also excited to fruit all these varieties and hoping 2022 will be the first year they fruit for me but may be i will have to wait or be better in spraying anti-anthracnose sprays during the flowering months. I tried one Graham this year and it was a bad choice to try first Graham in life from Fruit n Spice park. No mangoes from there tasted good. Hopefully i will make friends with our hero forum members around here in So FL and get to buy & taste some, god knows what they do with their loads of mangoes, they have been probably growing them for at least 10-15 yrs now and have established tree :)

JakeFruit

• Mod Emeritus
  • FL Gulf Coast Fruit Lover Spam Fighter
    • zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2020, 08:54:27 PM »
I purchased scions from Truly Trop. in 2019 with 90% failures, so tried Tropical acres this year and have 90% success.
I lost all but one (Sweet Tart took) of my dozen or so scions from Truly Tropical last year, this year 8 of 12 attempts have been successful. The biggest difference was in the health of the rootstock I grafted onto improved and I used better grafting tools/technique. I think TT sells healthy, well-wrapped scions at a very decent price. Tropical Acres has many varieties TT doesn't, I'm hoping to give them a try early next season.

Satya

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2020, 10:32:40 PM »
I purchased scions from Truly Trop. in 2019 with 90% failures, so tried Tropical acres this year and have 90% success.
I lost all but one (Sweet Tart took) of my dozen or so scions from Truly Tropical last year, this year 8 of 12 attempts have been successful. The biggest difference was in the health of the rootstock I grafted onto improved and I used better grafting tools/technique. I think TT sells healthy, well-wrapped scions at a very decent price. Tropical Acres has many varieties TT doesn't, I'm hoping to give them a try early next season.
Thanks Jakefruit, perhaps i should give TT another chance but i am done for this year. Very true what you said about rootstock, some rootstocks don't want to take and some take very easily. My Glenn does not like anyone but itself and Saigon, whereas Sweet Tart and Peach Cobbler take anyone very easily. Now focusing on jackfruit and jaboticaba grafting for September-October

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2020, 11:01:03 PM »
Tropical Acres Farms also has avocado budwood. I'm planning on getting Super Hass and Nishikawa in October when I pick up some grafted trees. Cecilove most notable  :)

Satya

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2020, 11:09:57 PM »
Tropical Acres Farms also has avocado budwood I'm planning on getting Super Hass and Nishikawa in October when I pick up some grafted trees Cecilove most notable 😊

Now you reminded Cecilove 🙈 , where will i find a branch to put it in.... Yes they sell avocado scions as well, but i got my Nishikawa from member Spaugh in CA. Nobody sells jaboticaba scions these days, it seems it is legally banned in US, even to utter jaboticaba scion is a punishable offense, yes inquiring about seeds and starter seedling plugs is an act of faith  ;D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk