Author Topic: Reddest Jackfruit  (Read 28405 times)

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
Re: Reddest Jackfruit
« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2012, 12:21:21 AM »
No they don't.  If you are interested in one, I will get with murahilin to see what it takes to get one to you once they are available.

Yes thanks bsbullie. Been reading about these red jacks for a while but never been able to source any.
Oscar
Oscar

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2012, 02:50:54 AM »
Check out this photo of red fleshed jackfruit:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?VISuperSize&item=270908269621
Oscar
Oscar

TropicalFruitHunters

• USA, Columbus, OH, xxxxx Zone 5b
    • View Profile
    • Tropical Fruit Hunters
« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2012, 07:46:07 AM »
My wife did a little research yesterday on a bunch of Thai sites.  All vendors have this picture, or a similar one, advertising this jackfruit.  All show a deep red color.  Turns out that it is a little more red than orange but not as deep a red as shown in their pics.  That's not to say that there isn't one out there somewhere but most of the people familiar with it seemed to all agree on the color point so far.  They all say it is very sweet, crunchy, and a very good flavor.  The fruit is smaller than most and only fruits twice a year where most other varieties fruit most of the year around.  The smaller stature, color, and limited fruiting contribute to much higher prices for this fruit as well.

The links included in these posts are to that Thai Ebay seller a few of us have ordered from in the past.  I've found that for the most part, his plants have been very nice and healthy while there were a few varieties that arrived, in different shipments, that came no where near to what he had shown me in pics size-wise.  Some had little to no roots.  The shipments themselves were spot on the first few times but the last one went astray from start to finish and I never did get a satisfying explanation...instead of the normal 4 days, this one was nearly two weeks.  One must also be very firm in stating the type of box you want him to ship the plants in...ones that are very sturdy and have a lid have made the journey in much better shape than what he would normally ship the plants in.  Also...he charges quite a bit for a single plant...and I know what they normally cost over there. 

Also keep in mind that this isn't actually on the up and up as far as the USDA/Cusoms is concerned!  One Florida member received his plant but also had a note included in the box stating that he received this one free pass and not to expect another.  Something to keep in mind.  It's very nerve-wracking and you find yourself watching the USPS tracking non-stop waiting and waiting for updates...and praying that you don't see any words such as "seized, confiscated, or men-in-black are on their way to your home".

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2012, 04:59:08 PM »
All plants shipped into USA require a phytosanitary certificate. It's a miracle that they let one pass without it. In my experience Florida USDA seems to be the most lax and relaxed about the rules. But in the last couple of months all the USDA customs offices have tightened up on their rules, and any little minor non compliance and they will incinerate your package.
Oscar
Oscar

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2012, 08:30:13 PM »
All plants shipped into USA require a phytosanitary certificate. It's a miracle that they let one pass without it. In my experience Florida USDA seems to be the most lax and relaxed about the rules. But in the last couple of months all the USDA customs offices have tightened up on their rules, and any little minor non compliance and they will incinerate your package.
Oscar
Would there be any issues shipping from Fla to Hawaii ?
- Rob

Jsvand5

• Ocala FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 23, 2012, 09:14:01 PM »
Any idea on when they wil be available? I am going to be ripping out my Gold nugget jack so I might put the excalibur red in it's place. Anyone think they would be any benefit to chopping my gold nugget down to a few inches, waiting for it to throw up some new shoots, and then grafting the excalibur red to one of the shoots? I have to assume the scion would grow really fast with that huge root system supporting it but I wonder if it would do anything to reduce the time to fruit?

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #31 on: February 23, 2012, 10:14:10 PM »
Oscar
Would there be any issues shipping from Fla to Hawaii ?

No, that is not an international shipment, all inside USA is much easier. Yes Hawaii is in the USA!
Oscar
Oscar

TropicalFruitHunters

• USA, Columbus, OH, xxxxx Zone 5b
    • View Profile
    • Tropical Fruit Hunters
« Reply #32 on: February 24, 2012, 06:45:42 AM »
John...why are you ripping out your gold nugget?

JoeP450

• Mahaha Chinook
    • Palm City FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 24, 2012, 07:51:00 AM »
Any idea on when they wil be available? I am going to be ripping out my Gold nugget jack so I might put the excalibur red in it's place. Anyone think they would be any benefit to chopping my gold nugget down to a few inches, waiting for it to throw up some new shoots, and then grafting the excalibur red to one of the shoots? I have to assume the scion would grow really fast with that huge root system supporting it but I wonder if it would do anything to reduce the time to fruit?

You could do this the only problem is sourcing the scions. I was at Excalibur a week ago and bought a grafted Bangkok Lemon and I asked about when the Excalibur red grafted trees would be ready and the kid Robert told me in a couple months. Right now they have few seedlings you could buy, but I am not interested in the seedling. I asked to see the mother tree that they are getting all the scions from and he said said its on a different property...I would really like to see how that tree grows.

_JoeP450
« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 10:15:27 AM by murahilin »

Jsvand5

• Ocala FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 24, 2012, 10:19:27 AM »

I have a Bangkok lemon next to it that I think is a better variety and is already flowering, I have not heard great reviews on the taste of the gold nugget so I figure I might as well replace it. I may wait to see if it sets fruit this season and keep the Excalibur red in a pot for a year. If the Gold nugget doesnt fruit this year it's definitely a goner.

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 24, 2012, 11:40:08 AM »
My understanding was that the gold nugget was an excellent cultivar. IFAS gave it a top notch rating.

I have a Bangkok lemon next to it that I think is a better variety and is already flowering, I have not heard great reviews on the taste of the gold nugget so I figure I might as well replace it. I may wait to see if it sets fruit this season and keep the Excalibur red in a pot for a year. If the Gold nugget doesnt fruit this year it's definitely a goner.
Jeff  :-)

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 24, 2012, 02:33:18 PM »
My understanding was that the gold nugget was an excellent cultivar. IFAS gave it a top notch rating.

Jeff - that was seemingly written without knowing/mentioning of these more recently introduced varieties.  Personally, thei review in it seems overhyped.  To me, again a subjective thing, not one of the top flavor/qual;ity-wise.
- Rob

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #37 on: February 24, 2012, 03:50:36 PM »
I would put Gold Nuggett in the 6-7 range on a 10 point scale.  Not bad, small manageable, pretty good flavor but not in the league of the elite.

Harry
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 24, 2012, 04:53:32 PM »
Interesting. The flavor analysis seems consistent with my experience for the J-31, NS-1, and Black Gold. If they are calling it 'excellent' over the NS-1 (which I find to be very delicious), then I figured it would be fantastic.

Fairchild also rates the GN very highly. They call the GN excellent, while the Dang Rasimi is merely rated as sweet.

When you guys are ranking the flavor of the GN, are you ranking based on texture? I know some people really prefer a crunchy jack to a soft one. But, I've had soft jacks that were much sweeter than the crunch ones.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 04:56:21 PM by jeffhagen »

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #39 on: February 24, 2012, 05:21:07 PM »
I have 3 fruiting jack cultivars here: Black Gold, Golden Nugget, and Dang Rasimi. The Black Gold is the best in my opinion. Golden Nugget is second best, and that dang Dang Rasimi hardly ever fruits! When it does the fruit is mishapened.
Oscar
Oscar

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 24, 2012, 05:25:51 PM »
When you guys are ranking the flavor of the GN, are you ranking based on texture? I know some people really prefer a crunchy jack to a soft one. But, I've had soft jacks that were much sweeter than the crunch ones.

Yes, the texture is an issue for me.  GN is softer than I prefer....but even as to flavor, I find it in the same league as Dang Rasimi and not as good as Black Gold, NS-1, J-31 or J-30 (for that matter).
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 24, 2012, 05:28:33 PM »
I have 3 fruiting jack cultivars here: Black Gold, Golden Nugget, and Dang Rasimi. The Black Gold is the best in my opinion. Golden Nugget is second best, and that dang Dang Rasimi hardly ever fruits! When it does the fruit is mishapened.
Oscar

Interesting...at my house Dang Rasimi fruits more reliably than any other jakfruit......figures, of course, since I like it least of all the jakfruit I grow. My Dang Rasimis are never mis-shapen...which is more than I can say for my Tabouey crosses or even the Mai 3 seedling.  Black Gold consistantly has great pollination/shape.

Oh and of note, Dang Rasimi is, along with Black Gold and my Black Gold seedling crossed with Tabouey, the most cold tolerant of all my jaks.

Harry
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 24, 2012, 05:32:13 PM »
OK. Pupe. I feel a topwork coming on. What would be a good replacement cultivar (to complement fruiting NS-1 and Black Gold trees)?

Yes, the texture is an issue for me.  GN is softer than I prefer....but even as to flavor, I find it in the same league as Dang Rasimi and not as good as Black Gold, NS-1, J-31 or J-30 (for that matter).

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 24, 2012, 05:32:56 PM »
Interesting. The flavor analysis seems consistent with my experience for the J-31, NS-1, and Black Gold. If they are calling it 'excellent' over the NS-1 (which I find to be very delicious), then I figured it would be fantastic.

Fairchild also rates the GN very highly. They call the GN excellent, while the Dang Rasimi is merely rated as sweet.

In this case it was on taste.  While I do prefer the crunchy jaks much better, I agree that some of the softer jaks can be very sweet, almost cloying verging on a fermented taste.
- Rob

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 24, 2012, 05:37:02 PM »
OK. Pupe. I feel a topwork coming on. What would be a good replacement cultivar (to complement fruiting NS-1 and Black Gold trees)?

Not that you couldn't but with the way a jak produces it fruit, do you think top working would be the best idea ?  IF you do, Mai 1 & Mai 3 are a good bet as well as Bangkok Lemon and, well, Escalibur Red or even the Dang Suria/Red Morning (yes, the Dang Suria/Red Morning budwood would be from a seedling but despite murahilin's bad experiences, I have never tasted a bad or off putting one).
- Rob

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #45 on: February 24, 2012, 05:42:45 PM »
Oscar

Interesting...at my house Dang Rasimi fruits more reliably than any other jakfruit......figures, of course, since I like it least of all the jakfruit I grow. My Dang Rasimis are never mis-shapen...which is more than I can say for my Tabouey crosses or even the Mai 3 seedling.  Black Gold consistantly has great pollination/shape.

Oh and of note, Dang Rasimi is, along with Black Gold and my Black Gold seedling crossed with Tabouey, the most cold tolerant of all my jaks.

Harry

It's quite possible that this particular Dang Rasimi tree is  just a dud or a mutant. That's the problem with generalizing from just one example. Such generalizations are often not true or at least off the mark. I sent some Black Gold seeds to some folks in Israel and they told me that was the most cold tolerant of jacks there. They've sent me several photos of jacks they fruited in Israel from those seeds, and tasted good also!  ;D
Oscar
Oscar

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 24, 2012, 06:04:29 PM »
Yes, true. I could lop it off 10 inches above the ground and graft pretty low. Hate wasting good roots. Anybody know of any brix tests done on jacks?

Not that you couldn't but with the way a jak produces it fruit, do you think top working would be the best idea ?  IF you do, Mai 1 & Mai 3 are a good bet as well as Bangkok Lemon and, well, Escalibur Red or even the Dang Suria/Red Morning (yes, the Dang Suria/Red Morning budwood would be from a seedling but despite murahilin's bad experiences, I have never tasted a bad or off putting one).
« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 06:26:51 PM by jeffhagen »

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #47 on: February 24, 2012, 06:17:57 PM »
No they don't.  If you are interested in one, I will get with murahilin to see what it takes to get one to you once they are available.

Yes please. Thanks Rob.
Oscar
Oscar

Jsvand5

• Ocala FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 25, 2012, 12:15:48 AM »
Yes, true. I could lop it off 10 inches above the ground and graft pretty low. Hate wasting good roots. Anybody know of any brix tests done on jacks?

That's what I was thinking. I was planning to cut even lower though. Just 3 inches or so from the ground and graft to one of the new shoots. I would think this would make the graft pretty easy as well since the new shoot would be really pushing a lot of growth.

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 26, 2012, 08:29:02 PM »
I ate an orangish-red jak at Excalibur that was delicious that I ate all the rag and all the inner peel!  I haven't had any other Jak that had a tasty inner peel.
Har

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk