Author Topic: Seedling Mango tree thread  (Read 27573 times)

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Seedling Mango tree thread
« Reply #50 on: March 08, 2021, 02:20:40 AM »
Looks like many of the seedling trees are flowering here.  They only take 3-4 years to flower.  I wish they would go 5 or 6 before flowering to let them get a bit bigger.  But whatever its better than a grafted tree.

Yeah, I wish they would grow several more years before flowering also but at least we will get to try out some of the fruit in the near future. The seedling trees grow so much better due to the lack of florigenic hormones for at least the first several years. The Sweet Tart seeeling was looking pretty good last time I stopped by. I’ll probably stop by again soon and take some pictures.

Simon

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 08, 2021, 02:32:30 PM »

Thanks Simon and fliptop.

No deep thought when I planted this one...

Grafted trees in Sierra Leone are doing well. At least one has flowered but getting good info has been tricky.   One thing for sure, once these fiber free sugar bombs fruit, West Africa will never be the same.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2021, 02:36:47 PM by Future »

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 08, 2021, 08:19:02 PM »
Looking good Future! I can’t wait to hear how the villagers react after eating a Zill mango.

On a side note, I’ve been neglecting my yard again and had to pay the piper today.

I had to cut off a 5-6 foot branch of my Orange Sherbet Seedling that was coming out at an odd angle. After I cut the branch off, I noticed it has its first blooms on a couple of its smaller side branches.

Simon

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 09, 2021, 12:09:02 AM »
Just noticed today that my E4 Seedling_Front yard has small blooms forming on it. This E4 seedling was grafted onto my multigraft tree.

The scion came from a seedling that was growing in a pot. The original tree is either at Brad’s orchard or given to another friend.

Simon

fliptop

• SWFL10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 24, 2021, 10:58:39 AM »
This Pickering seedling is forming multiple trunks.

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 25, 2021, 12:20:36 AM »
I would just remove those lower growths to allow the main trunk to get stronger. The low branching can pull a lot of energy from the tree and it will be more difficult to fertilize, mow and weed if you keep those branches. Please keep us updated on the Pickering seedling. I’m very interested in how all the seedlings turn out!

Simon

ppk

• US, CA, Bay Area, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 06, 2021, 11:28:29 AM »
This forum and thread are fun to browse and read and have inspired me to try to grow mangoes. I live in the Bay Area (CA). I want to grow some rootstock and my research has pointed me to growing a manila from seed and then grafting on to it. Unfortunately, I don't see any manila mangoes for sale right now in the stores. I have also read that ataulfo is a manila derivative native to Mexico. What are people's thoughts on growing ataulfo seedlings and grafting on to them? They could be better than manila for the Bay Area if they are adapted to Mexico's climate.

Thanks in advance.

mangoba

• US - Mediterranean
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 06, 2021, 08:42:48 PM »
Just noticed today that my E4 Seedling_Front yard has small blooms forming on it. This E4 seedling was grafted onto my multigraft tree.

The scion came from a seedling that was growing in a pot. The original tree is either at Brad’s orchard or given to another friend.

Simon

Simon, what's up with the leaf burn and discolorations?

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 07, 2021, 10:39:02 AM »
I believe it was due to cold weather. The rest of the tree looks fine and only this graft looks like that.

Simon

JoeP450

• Mahaha Chinook
    • Palm City FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 07, 2021, 03:27:49 PM »
Dig this thread Cali is going to be the next generator of new mango cultivars give time and momentum. 👍

-joe

Victoria Ave

• Riverside CA zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: August 07, 2021, 10:12:33 PM »
Not my tree but I've kept my eye on it for years as it is near my grandparents. I stopped to look and take pictures today and saw a lady come out and and I engaged her about her tree. Tree is 15 feet tall and she said she planted it from a seed from the store 8 years ago.

The soil is nearly pure sand, and it is very windy and very hot. No cover and very impressive. She gave me some fruit and it is still a bit firm so I'm letting it ripen a bit. But they look shockingly like small Valencia prides I harvested a couple years ago

UplanderCA

• USA,SoCal, Upland, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 09, 2021, 09:27:23 PM »
This forum and thread are fun to browse and read and have inspired me to try to grow mangoes. I live in the Bay Area (CA). I want to grow some rootstock and my research has pointed me to growing a manila from seed and then grafting on to it. Unfortunately, I don't see any manila mangoes for sale right now in the stores. I have also read that ataulfo is a manila derivative native to Mexico. What are people's thoughts on growing ataulfo seedlings and grafting on to them? They could be better than manila for the Bay Area if they are adapted to Mexico's climate.

Thanks in advance.

Ataulfo is a very good seedling for So Cal based on various threads on the forum.  I just planted two 2-month old Ataulfo seedlings on the ground.  I just repotted another two month old seedling.  The Ataulfo seedlings outgrow the 6" deep pots fast.  You need to repot them if you don't plant them after 2-months.   One thing that I have noticed is that Ataulfo has vigorous root growth with a tap root.

2-month old Ataulfo Seedling from a 6"deep pot with tap root

2-month old Ataulfo Repotted

2-month old Ataulfo Seedling on the ground

The true test will be to see if they survive a few winters on the ground.

Cheers
Tony

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 10, 2021, 03:50:05 AM »
@Simon

How did those Fairchild mango seeds turn out for California? I had a theory about them. That the seed is so large compared to the flesh. Means it is more primitive. So will be a good burrower for California clay. A good strong root stock in general. If I get lots of Fairchild fruits next year I will sell seeds at decent price.

I think all grafted variety mangoes.... with Large seed.... try it out for root stock or as a seedling mango tree. How about religiously fertilizing seedling mango trees to bring them to fruiting sooner? Also grafting onto it a second root stock, down at the base? (beyond my skills)

How about planting two seeds very closely in one pot. When young say less than 12" high. You clip one and graft it onto  your better one? Making a tree with two root systems.

« Last Edit: August 10, 2021, 03:51:40 AM by zands »

ppk

• US, CA, Bay Area, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 10, 2021, 11:25:06 AM »
Thank you for the pictures and the encouragement. I'm going to try to grow 6 seedlings (I bought a set of 6 organic ataulfos from Costco) for rootstock for next year.

Thanks in advance.

Ataulfo is a very good seedling for So Cal based on various threads on the forum.  I just planted two 2-month old Ataulfo seedlings on the ground.  I just repotted another two month old seedling.  The Ataulfo seedlings outgrow the 6" deep pots fast.  You need to repot them if you don't plant them after 2-months.   One thing that I have noticed is that Ataulfo has vigorous root growth with a tap root.

2-month old Ataulfo Seedling from a 6"deep pot with tap root

2-month old Ataulfo Repotted

2-month old Ataulfo Seedling on the ground

The true test will be to see if they survive a few winters on the ground.

Cheers
Tony

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 10, 2021, 09:00:35 PM »
@Simon

How did those Fairchild mango seeds turn out for California? I had a theory about them. That the seed is so large compared to the flesh. Means it is more primitive. So will be a good burrower for California clay. A good strong root stock in general. If I get lots of Fairchild fruits next year I will sell seeds at decent price.

I think all grafted variety mangoes.... with Large seed.... try it out for root stock or as a seedling mango tree. How about religiously fertilizing seedling mango trees to bring them to fruiting sooner? Also grafting onto it a second root stock, down at the base? (beyond my skills)

How about planting two seeds very closely in one pot. When young say less than 12" high. You clip one and graft it onto  your better one? Making a tree with two root systems.

Hey Zands, the Fairchild seeds grew fine but I grafted them too early so they bloom as soon as it gets cold and then it goes downhill from there.

Innarching two seedlings together creates a vigorous tree as long as the rootstocks are decent to begin with. You just have to make sure not to graft mature scions onto the innarched seedlings.

Simon

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 01, 2021, 04:57:08 PM »
Here is a fruit from my Sweet Tart Seedling #1. There are several fruit on this small tree and it was the more vigorous of two polyembryonic seedlings that sprouted from a single Sweet Tart seed. This is the first fruit that ripened from this tree and it has an odd shape and color.

It is very skinny and has a deep orange color. There is another fruit from this same tree that more closely resembles the true Sweet Tart except it is very large, maybe a pound or more. I’ll report back once I cut open this runt of a fruit.

Simon

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 01, 2021, 04:58:28 PM »
Here is a picture of the much larger fruit still bagged.

Simon

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 01, 2021, 05:31:06 PM »
That first fruit is 6 and 5/8 oz

Simon

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 01, 2021, 07:05:33 PM »
Can't wait to hear report on seedling ST flavor, texture, etc.

Considering planting in ground either Z20 or Ceci Love seedlings that are growing well. Pretty sure they are both monoembryonic, which makes it all the more exciting. Both are over a year old now, and about waste high or so. Crushed leaves of both of these smell interesting.

sapote

• USA, CA, Burbank, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 01, 2021, 08:53:24 PM »
Not my tree but I've kept my eye on it for years as it is near my grandparents. I stopped to look and take pictures today and saw a lady come out and and I engaged her about her tree. Tree is 15 feet tall and she said she planted it from a seed from the store 8 years ago.

Ripen fruit looks like Valencia but too small. The tree for sure is not a La Vern HD variety. This tree needs top work for grafting better varieties.

sapote

• USA, CA, Burbank, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 01, 2021, 09:14:38 PM »
Here is a fruit from my Sweet Tart Seedling #1.

Hey Simon,

Congrats on the fruiting seedling!

As about grafting on seedlings, do you find the trees that had been grafts when they were small (not mature fruiting seedlings) will ended up with droopy branches like graft trees from FL? I have a theory that not just graft trees from FL, if we graft matured scions on young seedling trees then they did not develop well and with weak root system, resulting droopy branches.

I have 2 unknow seedling (probably Kent or Ataulfo) that I grafted with Maha when they were about 24" tall, 6 or 7 years ago. Now for the first time they hold the fruits but the trees are droopy with the trunks only around 1.5" dia. If I had let them grow to 10 ft tall and held fruits, then top work and graft then now they are in much better shape.

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 01, 2021, 11:35:11 PM »
Yes Sapote, do not graft young trees with mature scions but it is ok to graft young trees with immature seedling scions that have not flowered.

My experiments grafting seedling scions onto young or mature rootstock has been 120% absolutely positive.

My E4 seedling grafted into random seedling rootstocks grew about 3-4 feet in one season

My Special vigorous selection of Pina Colada seedling grafted onto mature rootstock grew approximately 20-30 branches and several feet tall and wide in one season

Simon

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 01, 2021, 11:43:50 PM »
The Polyembryonic seedlings left on their own rootstocks also grow like crazy. For my yard, the crazy fast growers have been seedlings of E4, Orange Sherbet, Lemon Zest, PPK, NDM, CAC and Sweet Tart.

Here’s my Orange Sherbet Seedling after removing two huge branches. It’s about 6 feet tall and just as wide because there’s another huge branch bending over from the weight of all the growths.

And this young E4 seedling is already about 6 feet tall and just starting to branch out it’s scaffold branches

Simon

sapote

• USA, CA, Burbank, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 02, 2021, 02:47:01 AM »
And this young E4 seedling is already about 6 feet tall and just starting to branch out it’s scaffold branches

Simon

Yes, scaffold branches is the sight of having flower within the next 2 years.

On grafting with young (not having fruits yet) scions, is it a gamble with those unknown scions? (I know that they are poly-embryonic seedlings but still risky?)

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 02, 2021, 11:39:33 AM »
Yes, it’s a bit of a gamble that you didn’t select the clone but in my case, I want the zygotic seedling more than the clone because I’m hoping to get lucky with a new variety that will produce fruit that is better than the parent.

Polyembryonic seedlings have at least 50% of the parent variety genetics and there is the possibility that the Zygotic embryo was selfed meaning that it was pollinated by itself. Even if it was crossed by itself, that doesn’t mean it is a clone even though 100% of its genes are from the parent variety because there was a re arrangement of its genetics.

If the clone was not selected, the zygotic seedling wether selfed or crossed with another variety, has the potential to create something unique but retain some of the attributes from the parent genetics.

I have been Growing out a bunch of Pina Colada and E4 seedlings in hopes of finding a Pina Colada seedling that is more disease resistant and grows more vigorously here in San Diego and I also hope to find an E4 seedling that has less fiber but similar taste to the real E4.

I am also hoping to get lucky with an Orange Sherbet seedling that will produce at my location. So far, the PPK lineage has performed poorly at my location because of its horrible disease resistance, especially towards Powdery Mildew. I planted out about 30 Orange Sherbet seedlings and selected the few plants with the strongest orange scent in the sap, I just hope my seedling selection is more disease resistant otherwise it will be a candidate for topworking.

Simon