Author Topic: Are limequat seeds usually nucellar or zygotic?  (Read 899 times)

swincher

• Western WA (zone 8b, zone 10a greenhouse)
    • View Profile
Are limequat seeds usually nucellar or zygotic?
« on: February 28, 2021, 02:57:01 PM »
I got some interesting looking key lime/kumquat cross at the grocery store a few weeks ago and really loved the flavor so decided to keep the seeds. It looks like only one embryo per seed, does that mean more likely to be zygotic or is there still a chance these will be true to seed?

poncirsguy

• Cincinnati, Ohio, USA, 6a/6b
    • View Profile
Re: Are limequat seeds usually nucellar or zygotic?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2021, 05:12:19 PM »
Plant them.  They are either true or close to true.  If you like them you will want a supply of them.  Grocery stores are unreliable!

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2021, 06:20:04 PM »
Kumquats (except Nagami) do not produce true from seed. Key lime does produce true from seed.  My GUESS is the cross between the two will not produce true from seed, especially as your plantings produce only one seedling.  However, as Poncirsguy wrote above, the fruit might be close, but then maybe not.

swincher

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2021, 12:40:27 AM »
I realized too late that I mixed together limequat and mandarinquat seeds and I have no idea which is which. I didn't care for the mandarinquats, so really should've just tossed the seeds. Oh well, guess I'll grow out a handful and hope all least one of the bunch is to my liking!

poncirsguy

• Cincinnati, Ohio, USA, 6a/6b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2021, 09:03:53 AM »
My seed grown Meiwa kumquats produce great tasting fruit.  The mandarinquat (undisirable) trees will be different looking that the mutquats (desirable) trees.  You will be able to separate them whether they are desirable or rootstocks for the desirable.

swincher

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2021, 02:23:48 AM »
This one is polyembryonic, but no clue whether it's the mandarinquat or limequat, and there's even the possibility it was something else though I tried to keep separate seeds from other citrus I cut the same day, never can be sure...

« Last Edit: March 07, 2021, 02:32:44 AM by swincher »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk