Author Topic: Best Squirrel Dog  (Read 2943 times)

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
Best Squirrel Dog
« on: March 23, 2021, 03:15:18 PM »
I believe with foresight you plant your tree's strategically so that tree cannot launch off of roof fences and other trees. A squirrel dog can be a very effective deterrent. My rat terrier passed on to Canine Glory a few years ago. He had a very strong Predator Drive obsessed with lizards rats and squirrels. What breed would you recommend for his replacement? What breed do you have?

« Last Edit: March 29, 2021, 06:34:42 AM by bovine421 »
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

345 desoto

• Port Saint Lucie, Florida
    • n/a
    • View Profile
Re: Best Squirrel Dog recommendations
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2021, 03:32:01 PM »
Jack Russell Terrier...

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2021, 04:24:16 PM »
Jack Russell Terrier...
Have you seen any evidence that this breed would be suited for the job. A story!
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2021, 06:34:58 PM »
Jack Russell Terrier...
Have you seen any evidence that this breed would be suited for the job. A story!
Most of the Terriers are bred for this work.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BsnOkNwJzBA

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2021, 06:46:57 PM »
Jack Russell Terrier...

Jack Russells are bred to be ratters. Any Jack I've ever seen will kill any small rodent on sight, even with no training. I think it's just bred into them at birth.

That said, "most" dogs I've met have some instinct to kill squirrels, even the most friendly and cuddly of Golden Retriver.

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2021, 07:06:40 PM »
The two Jack Russell Terriers that I have been around did seem calmer then my rat terrier who was a Livewire. The Russells seems more able to turn for adrenaline on and off. What other breeds would make the top Squirrel Dog list

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2021, 10:47:35 PM »
cats would probably do a better job since they can climb trees.  my neighbors cat is a good hunter and kills squirrels. 
Brad Spaugh

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2021, 07:41:08 AM »
cats would probably do a better job since they can climb trees.  my neighbors cat is a good hunter and kills squirrels.
I'm not so sure. Cats are maybe better ambush hunters in stalks which start on the ground. The squirrel attacks I've seen with cats have all been either on the ground or involve a swat very close down on a tree etc. Squirrels are so fast at climbing I'm not sure a cat would have a chance.

345 desoto

• Port Saint Lucie, Florida
    • n/a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2021, 08:03:54 AM »
bovine421 - Question answered?...

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2021, 08:46:38 AM »
bovine421 - Question answered?...

No I was just trying to get you to elaborate. Jack Russells are rat terriers on steroids. They are actually used for killing rats with great effect.

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2021, 08:58:21 AM »
squirrels laugh.

I need a jaguar

Gulfgardener

• Panhandle 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2021, 09:23:34 AM »
I have Schipperke/Shiba mix that lives to chase squirrels. She has only caught one so far because she is a bit overweight and going on 10. She loves to harass them to the point where they think twice on setting up a nest near by. Schipperkes are Belgian rat chasers that lived on ships. The only con is they think they are smarter than you and only listen when they want to   ::)

What about mixing up some spray with the hottest peppers you can find? Maybe spray it on the trunks and fruit?

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2021, 10:31:41 AM »
I'm not so sure. Cats are maybe better ambush hunters in stalks which start on the ground. The squirrel attacks I've seen with cats have all been either on the ground or involve a swat very close down on a tree etc. Squirrels are so fast at climbing I'm not sure a cat would have a chance.

Personally I just use a live trap then shoot them with a 22.   Never takes more than a day or 2 to eradicate them. 
Brad Spaugh

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2021, 10:40:40 AM »
The dog would need to be able to catch it, first.  You then have the issues of the squirrel doing physical damage to the dog.  As a dog person, I have an issue with this concept of buying a dig to catch and kill squirrels.

Just get a live trap(s) or a gun...
- Rob

shaneatwell

• California, San Diego, sunset 23 and 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2021, 11:04:34 AM »
I have a shiba and he's very motivated to get lizards and rats just not that great at actually catching them.
Shane

850FL

• zone 8b/9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2021, 11:27:52 AM »
boston terriers- funny characters, spirited, tons of chasing energy, Also frenchtons
yes im biased

sumognat

• US, FL, SW Ranches, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2021, 11:40:39 AM »
Any kind of terrier with a lot of prey drive and one you can also live with. :D

A Patterdale or Jadt Terrier will get the job done, for sure, but you may not want to live with one as a "pet".

Border Terriers and Rat Terriers are good choices for more easy going terriers (i.e. easier to live with).  Some Jack Russell's are ok, others, not so much. :)

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2021, 02:17:46 PM »
The dog would need to be able to catch it, first.  You then have the issues of the squirrel doing physical damage to the dog.  As a dog person, I have an issue with this concept of buying a dig to catch and kill squirrels.

Just get a live trap(s) or a gun...
I don't think they necessarily have to be able to catch it. They just have to imitate and keep them on edge. Make  them want to visit your neighbors. That is much more peaceful and tranquil. They are prey and you just need a good dog to remind them of that.
One of the best dogs I had was a pound puppy I thought it was an Australian Cattle Dog but the vet informed me it was a Decker rat terrier.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2021, 02:24:58 PM by bovine421 »

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2021, 06:23:35 PM »
I have Schipperke/Shiba mix that lives to chase squirrels. She has only caught one so far because she is a bit overweight and going on 10. She loves to harass them to the point where they think twice on setting up a nest near by. Schipperkes are Belgian rat chasers that lived on ships. The only con is they think they are smarter than you and only listen when they want to   ::)

What about mixing up some spray with the hottest peppers you can find? Maybe spray it on the trunks and fruit?
It gives her a purpose in life. I bet she even dreams about chasing squirrels and I'm sure the squirrels have nightmares of being chased. Since she is a protector of the fruit mixed breed Squirrel Dog. I would like to see a photo please.

Gulfgardener

• Panhandle 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2021, 08:46:08 PM »

The devil dog her self - Neesha. Loyal companion to kids and cats, just not rodents.

Hollywood

• Zone 10a - Stuart, FL
    • USA, Stuart, FL 33020, zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2021, 01:38:02 PM »
Beagles are an option, albeit probably not the best. I don't think they're as fast as a terrier, but they have a great nose, a big bark, and can make life unpleasant for the squirrels. And anyone else within earshot...

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2021, 09:28:20 PM »

The devil dog her self - Neesha. Loyal companion to kids and cats, just not rodents.

She definitely makes my top 10 Squirrel Dog list. I would put her in the Night Stalker category. Possums beware!

Jabba The Hutt

• Appleton, New York, 6b/Pine Island, Bokeelia, Florida 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2021, 11:17:37 PM »
I believe with foresight you plant your tree's strategically so that tree cannot launch off of roof fences and other trees. A squirrel dog can be a very effective deterrent. My rat terrier passed on to Canine Glory a few years ago. He had a very strong Predator Drive obsessed with lizards rats and squirrels. What breed would you recommend for his replacement? What breed do you have?

There should only be one answer to this simple question...
Pug Life baby!!

AndrewAZ

• Scottsdale, AZ zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2021, 12:36:13 AM »
Blue heeler/Australian cattle dog.  Mine has killed a roof rat.
They are exceptionally loyal and intelligent.   They love having a job to do.  If you train to get a squirrel, they will do that job with utmost passion.
They are very athletic, fast, agile.  I would imagine one of few breeds that could outmaneuver a squirrel.
I absolutely adore this breed.  Only thing about them, if you want them to get along with other pets and young kids, they have to be introduced to them as a puppy.

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2021, 09:04:05 PM »
Blue heeler/Australian cattle dog.  Mine has killed a roof rat.
They are exceptionally loyal and intelligent.   They love having a job to do.  If you train to get a squirrel, they will do that job with utmost passion.
They are very athletic, fast, agile.  I would imagine one of few breeds that could outmaneuver a squirrel.
I absolutely adore this breed.  Only thing about them, if you want them to get along with other pets and young kids, they have to be introduced to them as a puppy.

You're right about that breed. If I still lived in the country. I would have a Red Heeler and a Smooth hair collie. I love those dogs.
For right now I found an unexpected hero

Sunday morning my wife's poodle from the couch. Looked out the window and saw two squirrels in my mother-in-law's cucumberpatch. She turned into a werewolf and hit the sliding glass door. My mother-in-law open the sliding door and she tore out after those two squirrels. Because of her pampered status I can't use her for a full-time Squirrel Dog. As you can see squirrel duty is quite exhausting for a poodle. Lol