Author Topic: Casimiroa pringlei  (Read 2839 times)

Pokeweed

• Houston TX
    • View Profile
Casimiroa pringlei
« on: March 28, 2021, 07:21:11 AM »
  There was discussion of pringle's sapote being cold hardy a while back. The best known tree was in Houston, at a nursery. It was said to have endured 13°F. That was a mature tree.
  I have a small one planted in S. Texas. It is on a ridge, exposed to whatever comes. In our last taste of "real" Winter, the 3 foot seedling was exposed to close to single digits with just a small frame over it. I had rigged heat lamps, but as was widely reported, we had no power for about 5 days due to blackouts and a power pole down close by.
  I thought it was toast, just like our citrus, but it is putting out new growth! More evidence that they are quite cold hardy.
D

elouicious

• Houston, Tx
    • View Profile
Re: Casimiroa pringlei
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2021, 10:59:31 AM »
Great to hear D!

Hope you weathered the storm well!

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2021, 06:06:58 PM »
I have a seedling that hasn't fruited yet, that's good to know how cold hardy they are even though I knew they were cold hardy more than White Sapote for sure. We should never get as cold as you guy's did in Texas I sure hope anyway! Thanks for report ;) I'm in Calif.

SilverSapote

• United States, Central Texas, 8b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2021, 08:06:58 PM »
I've posted in previous Casimiroa pringlei threads. Mine's been growing from seed in a pot from August 2019 - March 2020. Planted in-ground that spring and protected with 30% shade cloth throughout the central Texas summers that go 100F+. Watered every 3 days. 2ft tall at the end of the season.

This winter, it was protected with a makeshift tent using a Planket cover. After the snowstorm, it looked perfectly fine for a few days, but its leaves then dried up and dropped like a common citrus tree as a response to frost. Bad frost crack near the trunk too. Since two weeks ago, it's been leafing out about 6in from the base. Only about an inch of dieback, but no buds on top yet. Pic attached. Painted the bark with IV Organics to deter pests from the frost crack. Hopefully only a few more seasons before I can start testing graft compatibility with white sapote.

Also, side note, but I'm wondering if the Pringle's Sapote going around our area is a misidentified Casimiroa greggii and not the true Casimiroa pringlei. Leaves and fruit are a perfect match for greggii, not at all like pringlei. Nothing major to be worried about since they're both from the same general region and the one being sourced out is proving to be cold hardy.

Pokeweed

• Houston TX
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2021, 07:23:06 AM »
Silversapote, my leaves look more like gregeii than pringlei  as well. Maybe a maturity issue? I don't protect mine from Sun or heat at all, unlike several other plants I try to grow. Give it some water and it's good. D

ScottR

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2021, 06:45:27 PM »
Here is a pic's of my casimiroa pringlei I bought seeds from Peckerwood Garden Conservancy (now called John Fairey Garden) in Texas many years ago.

Benoit30

• France (Nīmes) zone 9
    • View Profile
    • Acclimatons
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2021, 03:48:29 AM »
Thank you for all this valuable information.
I have a few questions:
- have you ever tasted casimiroa pringlei? Is it much more bitter than casimiroa edulis?
- how did casimiroa edulis perform in Texas during this cold snap?
- More generally, are there hardy varieties of avocado trees in Texas (fantastic, wilma...) did they survive this rare event?
- Did citrus trees also survive?
I think this kind of climatic event can help to select hardy varieties.
I would be very interested to have some seeds of casimiro pringlei because here in France the conditions are too cold for casimiroa edulis. Please contact me by PM.
Acclimating white sapote, avocado, mango, cherimoya in marginal zone 9 climate. https://acclimatons.com/

Pokeweed

• Houston TX
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2021, 06:40:41 AM »
Hi Benoit, we won't know for sure about some of the citrus for several weeks. Most of it is dead. I haven't heard about avocados yet. Mine are all small and were sheltered. I got mine from John Fairey as well. It seems to be fine. I have not tasted any fruit yet, but was told they are good. Contact John Fairey Garden about seeds. Regards, Dan.

SilverSapote

• United States, Central Texas, 8b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2021, 08:07:41 AM »
- have you ever tasted casimiroa pringlei? Is it much more bitter than casimiroa edulis?
The only white sapote I've ever tasted have been sweet, but they were probably the common variety. Pringle's Sapote tastes like kumquats to me: citrusy, bitter, and pungent. I can't remember the texture, but the fruits were 90% seed and 10% pulp.

I kept mine in pots and brought them in doors when it was set to go 35F or below so can't say. I know some are growing trees in-ground in the area but they've died back to the ground in milder winters and haven't fruited.

- More generally, are there hardy varieties of avocado trees in Texas (fantastic, wilma...) did they survive this rare event?
Local grower Jerry Satterlee growing avocados in central Texas (Zone 8). No word yet on the trees after the snow storm: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC52vOVp03R-Ccl27U03rJ7g

Pokeweed

• Houston TX
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2021, 09:01:10 AM »
Silversapote, Thanks for the insight into the taste. I'll be looking forward to it.
  My little Pringle's had a quickly rigged frame put in it which was intended to contain a heat lamp....but the power was off for at least 5 days. Not just rolling blackouts, but a pole actually fell, and we weren't top priority. So it seems to have survived multiple days of close to single digits. I wish my satsumas were as hardy.

ScottR

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2021, 10:59:13 AM »
The only white sapote I've ever tasted have been sweet, but they were probably the common variety. Pringle's Sapote tastes like kumquats to me: citrusy, bitter, and pungent. I can't remember the texture, but the fruits were 90% seed and 10% pulp.

I kept mine in pots and brought them in doors when it was set to go 35F or below so can't say. I know some are growing trees in-ground in the area but they've died back to the ground in milder winters and haven't fruited.

Local grower Jerry Satterlee growing avocados in central Texas (Zone 8). No word yet on the trees after the snow storm: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC52vOVp03R-Ccl27U03rJ7g
Silversapote, thanks for tasting comments I thought they would be better than that :o :P 8)

850FL

• zone 8b/9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2021, 08:42:29 PM »
My 3 ft casimiroa edulis (not grafted) survived our last brief cold snap to 24F with almost total defoliation, but no actual stem damage. It has no real hard wood yet..

Andreas Gia said he's compiling a survival report, his plantings are in Houston..
« Last Edit: March 31, 2021, 08:46:40 PM by 850FL »

Nwflarenegade

• Pensacola, Fl
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2022, 10:33:21 AM »
Does anyone know of a mail order source for Casimiroa pringlei? I too would like to use it as a rootstock for Casimiroa edulis or to hybridize with to try to come up with a white sapote with more cold tolerance. Please let me know if anyone knows where I can get this or can hoo me up. Either way, thanks.

Pokeweed

• Houston TX
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2022, 06:51:35 AM »
Did you try John Faiery garden?