Author Topic: Peluche Fruit Photos & Loquat Taste Comparision  (Read 3216 times)

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
Peluche Fruit Photos & Loquat Taste Comparision
« on: April 27, 2021, 07:27:47 AM »
Does anyone grow Peluche ?

If you do, and have some photos of your fruit I would like to see it and if you can measure and weigh the big ones, it would be interesting to see who is growing the largest ones.

From all of the loquats I'm growing (mostly grafted on multi-grafted tree) it seems that the Peluche is the largest of them all. If anyone knows of any other loquats that are larger then please post it here.

My grafted Peluche (purchased from John (Socal10b), originally sourced from Adam (FlyingFoxFruits) is a few years old now and it finally has about a dozen fruits. They are the largest fruits in my collection. Once all of my loquat varieties ripen this season I will put a list of the best tasting (my opinion of course) after I make a taste test comparision. It will be grouped in two categories, the orange flesh and white flesh.

Photos taken 4-26-21:

« Last Edit: May 08, 2021, 06:58:08 PM by sc4001992 »

shpaz

• Florida/Arizona
    • View Profile
Re: Peluche Fruit Photos & Loquat Taste Comparision
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2021, 08:01:15 AM »
Keep us posted! Looking forward to your list.

I saw Peluche seeds selling for more than $50 on ebay around two or three weeks ago. The fruits must be little drops from heaven if they demand such a price ;D

A passion for things that grow
https://attar-sa.com/

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2021, 09:43:08 AM »
Keep us posted! Looking forward to your list.
Yes, it'll be interesting to know the results.  Include some taste descriptions.
John

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2021, 12:28:50 PM »
I grafted a Peluche, Avri, and Big Jim a couple years ago
I put them in the ground a month or so ago and each tree had a handful
of fruit for the first time. The peluche was by far the largest and the taste
blew me away.  I can't wait until next year.

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2021, 03:13:13 PM »
I did pick one fruit a week ago that just turned yellow (so it wasn't ripe yet). It was a little sour/tart but that's expected. I will try another one today since they are almost ripe and report back. Yes, I did see the ebay seeds for sale so I decided I will not sell the seeds from my fruits, instead I will probably grow the seeds and hope it was cross pollinated with my Big Jim and give even better tasting fruits. In my other post "loquat season of ripening", I will be showing photos of all the loquats on my tree that is ripening and the dates. I thought my Big Jim was top on the orange flesh, but I have found 2 new orange flesh loquats that taste better. Also, same with the white flesh fruits, I thought my Vista White was the best tasting but now have a few new ones that passed it up in best tasting.

FV Fruit Freak

• USA, Southern California, Fountain Valley, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2021, 06:31:08 PM »
Hey Kaz I’m really enjoying seeing all the “fruits” of your labor and your detailed descriptions of your loquat project. It would be cool to see some pictures of your tree(s).
Nate

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2021, 11:51:16 PM »
Sorry, don't want to show my trees. I have too many good ones/rare ones grafts and don't need visitors cutting my best ones if you know what I mean. I'm up to 62 varieties on my tress. Adam tells me there are 150 named varieties in the world after doing a thorough search online. Interesting that as of now (did not taste all my new variety fruits) the top tasting fruits in both the White flesh and Orange flesh are from my seedling grown trees. I'm not sharing any of these scion cuttings yet, need to propagate more before I cut off my good fruiting branches to share here (maybe in 2 yrs). Taste is definitely better than Peluche.

FV Fruit Freak

• USA, Southern California, Fountain Valley, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2021, 10:53:58 AM »
Of course, no worries Kaz. I totally understand, that’s why I put all my grafts facing our home and not the street. The street side will be seedling fruit for people to steal, but with my luck that fruit will be better than the good varieties I grafted onto it haha
Nate

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2021, 09:19:24 PM »
My Peluche fruits are all ripe and picked, I have about 14 fruits on my 2yr old grafts.

The largest fruit weighed 99 grams, almost 3" long. The others ranged in weight from 39-99, most about 70-80 grams.
Did some taste comparison with my Big Jim, Vista White, and seedling fruits. Here's my personal rating of them.

1. KT9, taste rating of 10/10
2. Big Jim, 9/10
3. Vista White, 9/10
4. Peluche, 8/10

Here's some photos of the Peluche.

« Last Edit: May 08, 2021, 06:59:23 PM by sc4001992 »

dmwong93

• Father Fruit
    • USA, Southern CA, Zone 10b, E. Anaheim
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2021, 03:43:58 PM »
Here is a study of taste and production for Peluche and other cultivars of Italian.

https://om.ciheam.org/om/pdf/a58/03600137.pdf

JoeP450

• Mahaha Chinook
    • Palm City FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2021, 04:08:40 PM »
These peluche pics look incredible nice work!

-joe

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2021, 04:31:41 PM »
dmwong93, that's an excellent report of the study done in Italy. Interesting that the Brix for Peluche was the highest but maybe its because they didn't have some of the sweeter varieties. The Peluche came from Spain so there may be better tasting ones there. My fruits are sweeter than Peluche.

Thanks for this link to the research !

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2021, 07:01:33 PM »
Anyone looking for Peluche scions, check out Socal10b he has it For Sale now.
I purchased my first Peluche scions from him and these are the fruits from my grafted tree.

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2021, 07:06:26 PM »
Update on Taste Test.

After reading the article from dmwong93, the research paper showed a chart with Peluche Brix and it showed that this value increased after the fruit was picked and tasted a few days later. So, I did the same thing and tasted my Peluche fruits again 2 days after I picked them and the taste improved so here's my update of the results.

Did some taste comparison with my Big Jim, Vista White, and seedling fruits. Here's my personal rating of them.

1. KT9, taste rating of 10/10
2. Big Jim, 9/10
3. Vista White, 9/10
4. Peluche, 8/10 (first day picked), 9/10 (2-3 days after picking)

So to sum it up, the Peluche is a winner, can't go wrong with getting one.
Glad I grafted many more branches after tasting this one.

« Last Edit: May 08, 2021, 07:08:19 PM by sc4001992 »

mbmango

• LAX, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2021, 12:21:59 AM »
Nice!  How's the flavor like?

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2021, 02:19:51 AM »
As for flavor, I'm not that good with describing these things. The Peluche fruit is juicy when ripe (1-2 days after picking) and sweet, almost taste like my Big Jim but with a little tart flavor on some fruits in the batch. It is like a Big Jim slightly watered down, not as sweet as Big Jim and with a little tartness. I just ate another one now to confirm this again.

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2021, 10:36:05 AM »
Nice report on some of your flavorful loquat's Kaz, keep up the great report, nice pic's too!

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2021, 12:31:37 PM »
Finished my taste comparison of Peluche with all of my fruited varieties this year. Here's my personal rating of them.

1. KT9-Lindsey (orange flesh), taste rating of 10/10
2. KT18-Kaz1 (white flesh), taste rating of 10/10
3. Big Jim (orange flesh), 9/10
4. Vista White (white flesh), 9/10
5. Peluche (yellow flesh), 8/10 (first day picked), 9/10 (2-3 days after picking)
6. KT1-Kosmic (white flesh), 9/10
7. KT4-Teardrop (orange flesh), 9/10
8. KT8-Sheri_Lynn2 (orange flesh), 9/10
9. KT11-Lisa (white flesh), 9/10
10. KT15-Masa (yellow flesh), 9/10 {first time fruit}
11. KT16-Mammoth_Mike (orange flesh), 9/10
12. KT2-OCBC (white flesh), 8/10
13. KT3-Sheri_Lynn2 (white flesh), 8/10
14. Big Jim White (white flesh), 8/10
15. KT20-One_Seed (orange flesh), 8/10 {first time fruit}
16. McBeth (orange), 8/10 {first time fruit}
17. Shorepointe (orange flesh), 8/10 {first time fruit}
18. Mogi (yellow flesh), 7/10 {first time fruit}
19. KT14-Graham_Harding (white flesh), 7/10

eyeckr

• Virginia Beach, VA
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2021, 12:40:12 PM »
Great comparisons. Not a ton of info on Peluche out there as compared to other fruits. Thanks for the info!

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2021, 02:09:44 PM »
Yes, I only saw the Peluche fruit taste described by Adam (FFF) many years ago on this forum. I didn't think the Peluche would taste as good as it does. It is almost as good as the Big Jim when it is perfectly ripe but Peluche is more watery/juicy tasting. i purchased my scions from Socal10b (John) who got his scions from Adam (FFF).

beicadad

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2021, 12:19:08 AM »
Good to know that Peluche also tastes great. I have a few ripening up and I will try to compare flavor of fresh vs. 2 days later.

Very useful taste rating Kaz. Looks like your seedlings are winners, especially KT9 and KT18.

gumbo2go

• USA, Louisiana, Zone 8b
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2021, 12:39:45 AM »
Thanks for sharing such useful info with the group.
- Even a blind hog finds an acorn every now & then!

strom

• so cal, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2021, 08:49:21 PM »
After reading the article from dmwong93, the research paper showed a chart with Peluche Brix and it showed that this value increased after the fruit was picked and tasted a few days later.
Relatives of mine have a random loquat tree in their yard (grew from seed we think), and I am simply confirming that they do get sweeter if picked and left a few days, usually when they begin to look ugly.

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2022, 05:58:57 AM »
Updating this old post on Peluche loquat fruit.

Does anyone have fruits on their Peluche tree? If you have fruits that have reached full size, please posts some photos now.

Can you also mention what the internal flesh color of your Peluche fruit. I have many Peluche grafted branches from 2 sources and both seems to have the yellow/orange flesh when the fruit is ripe. I wanted to know if anyone here has fruits with white flesh. I thought Adam/Austin had some old photos/videos showing the white flesh Peluche but it might have been a unicorn (doesn't exist).

As my Peluche fruits ripen, I will post the fruit photos so you can see how large they get. If you have the Peluche fruits, please post some photos and also weigh the fruits so we can see how large these fruits will get.

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2022, 06:11:53 AM »
Since my old photos posted in 2021 is gone (expired postimages), I will start by adding back a few of these old photos from 2021..

« Last Edit: April 06, 2022, 05:36:46 PM by sc4001992 »

JCorte

• Laguna Beach and Fallbrook, CA, zone 10b/10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2022, 12:19:53 PM »
Here’s the photo of Peluche with white flesh posted by Austin Barnhill.  On his Facebook page, he posts a video on April 5, 2020 where Adam mentions at the end of the video that his Peluche is white flesh not orange, but that there is an orange fleshed Peluche as well.  Kaz your Peluche was larger than Austin’s fruit weighing 70.7 grams.

https://m.facebook.com/Barnhill-Farms-Nursery-2283387935009997/

Janet

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2022, 12:32:19 PM »
I saw that and the video,but could not confirm with anyone that the ripe fruit has white flesh. Some have told me it could be an unripe fruit where it may look white/yellow especially when the photo/video is taken with a flash, in the night, or depending on the lighting it might look white.

I sent many messages to Austin on facebook and other means, he hasn't replied so I'm not sure if that means they don't have one. No one else so far that has a Peluche fruit says they have any other fruit with the yellow/orange flesh variety.

JCorte

• Laguna Beach and Fallbrook, CA, zone 10b/10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2022, 12:41:32 PM »
Not sure if my tree is grafted from Austin or Adam’s tree, but I did get it soon after they posted the video.  Should know by next year.

Janet

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 31, 2023, 02:24:05 AM »
This year 2023 Peluche loquat taste report. I have much more fruits on the Peluche grafted branches this year so maybe I can get a better result from my sample taste test.

I did notice that the Peluche fruit will turn slightly yellow at full size fruits, then start to slowly turn yellow to dark yellow when it is fully ripe. One problem I notice is that some fruits will not make it to fully dark yellow skin (ripe) so the taste is inferior to those that actually hangs on the tree until they are ripe.

I'll take some brix reading of the Peluche this year, but I know before I do this, the brix numbers will be lower than last year. All my loquat varieties have lower brix number since it did not get hot here in SoCal as normal years.

I will also show some photos of the largest fruiting loquats that I grow. Here's the ones that I see that are the largest loquats:
1 Peluche, one fruit can weigh as much as 110grams
2. Imperiale (Italy), weigh as much as 100 grams
4. Gulielmo II (Italy)
5. BS-Ester
6. Khaled (newly found seedling tree), can weigh up to 120 grams
7. Vista White, not as heavy but the fruits look large since it has a round/rock like shape. I have one large fruit on my tree so when it ripens next week, I will post all the fruit photos of these loquat giants.

===================================

If anyone has photos and weight of their largest loquat fruits, please post them here and if you know the variety name, identify it in your post.

===================================
« Last Edit: May 31, 2023, 02:28:01 AM by sc4001992 »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk