Author Topic: monstera defeats rootmaker container  (Read 553 times)

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
monstera defeats rootmaker container
« on: May 05, 2021, 11:52:49 PM »
I hadn't really thought much about what "aerial roots" might mean as I never had this kind of plant before, but putting a monstera deliciousa in an air-root-pruning pot was not a good idea.  Can I just cut these root tendrils off to save the pot?  And then put it in a solid pot.  Though I think I'm going to have to get rid of it once it fruits... I just want to try the fruit.  I recently some gigantic ones that occupy more space than my entire greenhouse.  I don't know how well it would take to pruning. 

mbmango

• LAX, CA
    • View Profile
Re: monstera defeats rootmaker container
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2021, 01:49:34 AM »
Totally.  At least here, monstera's grow easily and chopping off all the roots would only slow it down a bit.

TomekK

• In search of Theobromas
    • Vienna, Virginia Zone 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2021, 09:10:55 AM »
Haha! Wish some other species would grow like that! From what I heard, monsteras are super easy to root and grow, so lopping of those roots should be fine. Needs a bigger pot!

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2021, 10:03:37 PM »
I was amazed at how flexible the roots are.  I was able to yank them right back out of the holes without breaking them.  I put it in a solid container - nearly 2ft wide, the largest I have.  If it outgrows this before fruiting I am going to just plant it in the woods and see how much it grows before winter kills it.  I have seen a few of these fruiting in containers this size or smaller, so it seems possible.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk