Author Topic: Fwang tung carembola help  (Read 820 times)

Ognin525

• Buffalo, ny, zone 5b
    • View Profile
Fwang tung carembola help
« on: June 01, 2021, 03:32:56 PM »
Been having troubles with this tree since i got it over a year ago. Nothing seems to be making this tree happy hopefully someone can see what im clearly not lol.in the pics you can see some kind of crystal on the flower stems not sure if thats normal. Thanks for taking a look!

« Last Edit: June 01, 2021, 06:40:14 PM by Ognin525 »
Bill

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
Re: Fwang tung carembola help
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2021, 07:58:25 AM »
I'm going to have a close look at some Carambola I think others have mentioned the "crystals". This species is known for calcium oxalates which form in the fruits, maybe also on the surface. Here is a paper mentioning it in the leaves.
Your leaves do show some nutritional problems to me. I know a guy who works with a large 40 acre carambola farm and I can get to him some day, but not right now.
Have a look at this paper which mentions the crystals:
https://www.mdpi.com/2073-4352/10/7/591/htm

Plantinyum

• Bulgaria , near Sofia city , planting zone 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2021, 10:08:13 AM »
In my experience, my carambola was looking similar when it was indoors over winter, due to an infestation of spider mites.The mites were clearly visible, though back then the plant was rootbound, kept on the drier side and not fed. I think yours could be getting too much sun also, exactly as is mine now in the greenhouse. For me too much sun makes their leaves grow evidently smaller compared to a tree thats shaded.
As for the crystals I have always wondered what the hell are they.....I had alot of them forming on the non hardened wood and leaf petioles. It seems that if the plant stays dry for an extended period of time ,they accumulate ,and now when it gets artificially rained on by my mist system ,there is none of this stuff.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2021, 10:15:44 AM by Plantinyum »

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2021, 11:25:36 AM »
I'm battling with my Kari as well this year. Last year it leafed out nicely well before this time of year and this year it's just totally languishing... Up potted it as it was root bound and thought it would take off. I think they be a humidity needing plant and my house way up on the California mountain may be too dry...

Ognin525

• Buffalo, ny, zone 5b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2021, 03:07:54 PM »
Ill try raising the humidity and getting alittle shade on it and see if it starts to look better. The yellow leaves pop up almost over night it happens fast! Thanks for the help! Im glad im not the only one haha.
Bill

Plantinyum

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2021, 05:49:47 AM »
Heres how mine are looking, not super happy but i'm sure ones the plants inside start to grow and cast some shade over them, they will take off..

Ognin525

• Buffalo, ny, zone 5b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2021, 06:36:19 AM »
These guys love lookin alittle off huh haha. Ya i moved mine to a spot with more shade. Hopefully in a couple days it starts being happy. Id love to get fruit but im not sure itll do that looking like it does. It is a grafted tree i wish i knew the exact rootstock.
Bill

Plantinyum

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2021, 12:03:58 PM »
These guys love lookin alittle off huh haha. Ya i moved mine to a spot with more shade. Hopefully in a couple days it starts being happy. Id love to get fruit but im not sure itll do that looking like it does. It is a grafted tree i wish i knew the exact rootstock.
yours is at least flowering, mine is 5 y/o ,seedling and is taking its time for sure ......

Ognin525

• Buffalo, ny, zone 5b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2021, 08:09:14 PM »
O dang ya thats a long ass time!
Bill