Author Topic: Are mushrooms growing in your pots a bad sign? (see pic)  (Read 1659 times)

JakeFruit

• Mod Emeritus
  • FL Gulf Coast Fruit Lover Spam Fighter
    • zone 10A
    • View Profile
Are mushrooms growing in your pots a bad sign? (see pic)
« on: June 21, 2021, 10:24:32 AM »
One of my potted mangoes is seeing a ton of mushroom activity.

Over a month ago I used one of those Mycorrhizal soil additives on most my potted plants (including this one). Didn't notice anything (definitely no explosive growth) in any of the pots. Around two weeks ago I noticed the soil in the pot pictured was getting clumpy, when I broke the clumps there was a white, moldy-looking substance causing the clumping. I thought this was the Mycos, but then the mushrooms started. The first round was a powdery yellow mushroom; a few of those were actually on/touching the tree. I didn't like how that looked, so I pulled all those out. Overnight all these new ones appeared. They are even blooming from the holes in the sides of the pot. None of the other potted trees are having this issue, even though they were potted with the same mix and are right next to this pot. None of the other pots I put the Mycos in are exhibiting the white, clumpy soil, either. The tree seems fine, at this point. It's pushed growth twice this season (before these mushrooms appeared).

Anybody seen this before? Mushrooms have nearly always been a bad thing (excepting my college years), in my experience. Should I be pulling them and treating the soil?

BayAreaMicroClimate

• Dublin, California 9b
    • View Profile
Re: Are mushrooms growing in your pots a bad sign? (see pic)
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2021, 12:17:32 PM »
I’ve never had problems with mushrooms in pots and the mycorrhiza should help everything be symbiotic. The mushrooms that kill trees usually only kill trees that are already dying. I grow oyster mushrooms and they have never killed any of my trees. I think generally mushrooms that grow on the tree specifically are only going to go after larger trees that are already decaying. Usually I find the mushrooms that grow in pots usually die off the next day or so

BayAreaMicroClimate

• Dublin, California 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2021, 12:23:17 PM »
In fact I actually had an edible morel mushroom in a pot with dragonfruit and a black nightshade berry plant. Morel mushrooms are always welcome to any of my potted plants!! It was delicious and also so were the berrys growing in the same pot

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2021, 12:58:18 PM »
In fact I actually had an edible morel mushroom in a pot with dragonfruit and a black nightshade berry plant. Morel mushrooms are always welcome to any of my potted plants!! It was delicious and also so were the berrys growing in the same pot

Do you get morels wild in your area?  Doesnt look 100% like a morel.
- Rob

BayAreaMicroClimate

• Dublin, California 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2021, 01:05:09 PM »
Yes I do get them wild but I also release spores into my yard. Yes the photo look deformed but I ate it and it was hollow inside and I found them around my in ground cherimoya trees as well. Winecap mushrooms also eat the woodchips and do not damage any of the trees

Do you get morels wild in your area?  Doesnt look 100% like a morel.

toadshade

• USA, Georgia, Atlanta 7 A/B
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2021, 01:28:19 PM »
Wow.  What a bonus to have a morel in your growing pots!  You had me worried.  All I saw from the small original photo was that smaller mushroom which looks like it could be a Galerina (sp?) which can be poisonous.  The original post photo looks like it could be a type of Lepiota.  But any mushrooms in flower pots would be beneficial for the most part(to a point).  I always enjoy it when I see some mushrooms, especially the Lepiota Lutea which is bright yellow.  And for obvious reasons called the flower pot mushroom.

BayAreaMicroClimate

• Dublin, California 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2021, 01:57:37 PM »
Yes I forgot the morel was growing along with the orange fungus. I’ve also had a yellow fungus in my greenhouse. Common name “ Plantpot dapperling” Did no damage to my potted guava but it didn’t come back once I moved the guava out of the greenhouse.

Wow.  What a bonus to have a morel in your growing pots!  You had me worried.  All I saw from the small original photo was that smaller mushroom which looks like it could be a Galerina (sp?) which can be poisonous.  The original post photo looks like it could be a type of Lepiota.  But any mushrooms in flower pots would be beneficial for the most part(to a point).  I always enjoy it when I see some mushrooms, especially the Lepiota Lutea which is bright yellow.  And for obvious reasons called the flower pot mushroom.

« Last Edit: June 21, 2021, 02:05:46 PM by BayAreaMicroClimate »

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2021, 02:23:55 PM »
I've had mushrooms in containers without issue.  And I occasionally see from huge blobby and yellow-powdery fungus on my greenhouse floor.

JakeFruit

• Mod Emeritus
    • zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2021, 03:20:41 PM »
Yes I forgot the morel was growing along with the orange fungus. I’ve also had a yellow fungus in my greenhouse. Common name “ Plantpot dapperling” Did no damage to my potted guava but it didn’t come back once I moved the guava out of the greenhouse.

These look a lot like the first yellow ones I found in the pot, stem seems thicker, but very similar in color.

Finca Loco

• South Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2021, 09:45:07 PM »
Doubt it. Most fungi that make a mushroom are fungi that eat decaying wood (xylophagous fungus), not living wood. If anything it may indicate you had a cellulose rich substrate, it's breaking down, volume of substrate may be shrinking soon.

Fygee

• Las Vegas Gardening Community Admin
    • Las Vegas, NV
    • View Profile
    • Las Vegas Gardening Community
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2021, 01:35:34 PM »
Just a sign of healthy soil and dead, woody material breaking down. Only negative is it can sometimes indicate an over abundance of watering, but that's rare and situational.

Remember not to handle them barehanded or eat them unless you're absolutely, 100% sure you know what variety it is. You only have to be wrong once to never have the chance to be wrong again.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2021, 11:55:32 AM by Fygee »
Continuing my journey to disprove those who say "You can't grow that in the desert" since 2013.

JakeFruit

• Mod Emeritus
    • zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2021, 10:56:25 AM »
Thanks for the comments and reassurances. I put a top-dressing of finished compost in the pots a few months ago, it did have some woody material, the mushrooms must be feasting on that. Still strange it's only happening in one pot when all the compost came out of the same bag.

toadshade

• USA, Georgia, Atlanta 7 A/B
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2021, 10:54:46 AM »
That mushroom above is the Lepiota Lutea I was talking about.  They grow on the composted wood.  Not going to hurt you or your plants unless you eat them directly.  I have heard they are poisonous to the extent of stomach upset but that's all.  Pretty to look at.  I think they were recently reclassified but I am sticking to my old name until it matters.

JakeFruit

• Mod Emeritus
    • zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2021, 11:08:47 AM »
I'm a fan of mushrooms, but no way no how am I eating any I find in the wild. Living in Florida, I assume most everything growing wild is poisonous, it's the safest course.

cassowary

• Australia FNQ 13a Tropical Monsoon
    • View Profile
    • cassowaryseeds
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2021, 02:25:57 AM »
Amazing!
They help to break down the dead plant cells that are present in your potting mix and making your potting mix better I would say.
Could maybe put some oyster mycelium in next time :)
CASSOWARYSEEDS.COM
Seed shop and Seed exchange

1rainman

• Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2021, 05:38:26 PM »
I'm a fan of mushrooms, but no way no how am I eating any I find in the wild. Living in Florida, I assume most everything growing wild is poisonous, it's the safest course.

Yeah everything in Florida is poinoius except the hallucinagenic mushrooms that grow in cow manuer. There aren't any food type mushrooms that grow in Florida- or if they are they are rare because my cousin had all the mushrooms checked that were growing in her yard in florida one time- they are all poisonous.

TylerTheTrout

• Bonita Springs, FL Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2021, 09:32:15 PM »
Purple Ringers  8)

JakeFruit

• Mod Emeritus
    • zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2021, 03:06:50 PM »
Purple Ringers  8)
Do you think so? They definitely aren't anything I've seen locally before. The purple ringers I *might* have picked in cow fields when I was much younger didn't look at all like these.

pagnr

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2021, 04:40:02 AM »
I have had problems with pine bark mixes based on uncomposted pine bark fines. Mycelium totally took over, grey white threads throughout and yellow toadstools sprouted.
It took several years to calm down until fungus got in balance. If I remember, might have been some water repellence problems with the mix.

JakeFruit

• Mod Emeritus
    • zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2021, 08:51:20 AM »
I've been using bags and bags of pine bark fines this season, but the pot with the mushrooms is from a season when all I had access to was nuggets. There are many pots with the exact same mix from that season, only this one has the 'shrooms. I'm using RootBuilder pots, this particular pots has mushrooms growing out of holes midway down the pot, as well. The Sweet Tart tree seems happy, but now I have new types of fungus growing in it. I'm hoping we get some relief from the rain here, we've been getting an almost-daily downpour for weeks.