Author Topic: Are these Ross sapote?  (Read 973 times)

BayAreaMicroClimate

• Dublin, California 9b
    • View Profile
Are these Ross sapote?
« on: July 11, 2021, 02:36:24 AM »
I ordered these online “eBay” as Ross sapote. They tasted the same as the canistels I’ve ate. Maybe they were not ripened properly? The photos I see only the fruits are more flat than rounded like these. Maybe not the true form? I know Ross sapote is supposed to be sub species of canistel or possibly just a variety?

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
Re: Are these Ross sapote?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2021, 07:39:32 AM »
They look very close to what I have seen as "Ross Sapote". I can understand your doubts perhaps it depends on expectation. A good one is very similar to Canistel but with a more moist and rich flavor to my taste. Here is someone eating and describing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVwde9XtJoI

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2021, 09:25:39 AM »
Hard to tell.  They do look a little round (without the slight flattening) and the color looks a little off.  Most of the Ross I have seen and grown have a slight "dirtyness" to the color.  They look rather large, too.  How big are they?
- Rob

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2021, 03:32:05 PM »
The Ross I tried taste just like canistel too.  Could barely tell any difference.
Brad Spaugh

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2021, 03:37:47 PM »
The Ross I tried taste just like canistel too.  Could barely tell any difference.

They do taste very similar to any other canistel with a slight nuances to make it different.   They are also overall more moist in texture.
- Rob

canito 17

• Puerto rico
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2021, 08:15:08 PM »
My canistel tree bear single fruits and Ross bear fruits in clusters. Similar flavor. My Ross sapote is sweet and sour and moister

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2021, 08:39:52 AM »
They don't cross, cant pollinate canistel and are different species and ross are usually round like that with scurfy skin at times. I have some that are more pointed but ross. Ross are moister have a honey taste in the and are slightly sweeter than a good canistel but similar yes. I would say that is ross in the pic.

Julie

• Miami, FL, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2021, 08:22:01 PM »
To me it looks like it is not Ross Sapote and is instead Canistel.  Ross Sapote is shaped like a tomato while Canistel has a pointed bottom.  The one on it's side in the top right corner looks like it's shaped like a canistel.

Ross Sapote tastes better than Canistel in my opinion though it's similar.  The canistel has a drier texture.  I planted Ross Sapote at my house even with limited space because of it's great taste and season when there aren't other ripe fruit.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2021, 05:36:37 AM »
Shape has limited relevance as there are spherical and disc shaped canistels and pointed ross sapotes. They look like ross. Past threads have dealt with this.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk