Author Topic: Peanut Butter Fruit  (Read 1340 times)

Central Floridave

• View Profile
Peanut Butter Fruit
« on: September 24, 2021, 12:39:29 PM »
I've had this in the ground for two years and just ate the first two fruits. I like it.  It does have a hint of peanut butter flavor. 

I read it's a tropical.  I hope I can successfully grow this further North up here in the frozen tundra (joking of course) of East Central Florida.

Peanut Butter Fruit w/avocado Toast.  Limited time only!   

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
Re: Peanut Butter Fruit
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2021, 05:19:39 PM »
I have a couple trees doing ok a little South of you. I'm in 9b close
to 10a. If you get in the low 30s or high 20s I would expect some leaf
burn. I like to let the fruit dissolve on my tongue. It reminds me of a
spoonful of peanut butter. It's amazing the red fruit is creamy not juicy.
I did plant my trees on the South side of a cluster of trees for a little buffer

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2021, 05:55:35 PM »
I have one in a container and it produces regularly though not large crops.  It is nice, and you can really tell the peanut butter flavor, but it also has a bit of "green bean" taste sometimes. 

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2021, 06:11:04 PM »
They produce really heavily here in the tropics. To me it's more comparable to a date than to any kind of peanut butter i've ever had in my life.
Oscar

Alan_Tampa

• USA, FLORIDA, TAMPA, CITRUS PARK, ZONE IS DENIAL
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2021, 09:36:05 AM »
I have had a Bunchosia in a protected part of the yard for 2 decades.  It really has too much shade where it is, but pretty sure I forgot about in 2010 and it got no protection that year.  Don't remember absolute lows, but in 2010 a Mauritius lychee was killed to the ground, Kohala longan killed to ground (grew back as an octopus tree), jackfruit (protected) killed to like waist high, also now an octopus tree.

So I would say in the right spot, 30 is probably (assuming no frost) safe, and like many others, 28 is the magic number (difference between some dieback and she gone)

And the tree for sure is stunted, it is a leggy and sparse, but does make a few fruit now and then, which are good.

TropicalFruitHunters

• USA, Columbus, OH, xxxxx Zone 5b
    • View Profile
    • Tropical Fruit Hunters
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2021, 02:12:45 PM »
If there is anyone in Ohio reading this, I have a big one in container I'm selling.  It is blooming and fruiting.

Central Floridave

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2021, 03:09:44 PM »
Thanks for the feedback.  It's in a protected spot on South Merritt Island.  I'll definitely try to protect under 30F. 

I was wondering if it would eventually produce enough fruit that I could fill up a whole jar with and have natural peanut butter.  I'll update this thread in a few years if it does good or not. 

It is obviously a novelty fruit.  I got great interest when I posted these same photos on facebook. 

Viva la Peanut Butter Fruit! 

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2021, 06:27:42 PM »
Thanks for the feedback.  It's in a protected spot on South Merritt Island.  I'll definitely try to protect under 30F. 

I was wondering if it would eventually produce enough fruit that I could fill up a whole jar with and have natural peanut butter.  I'll update this thread in a few years if it does good or not. 

It is obviously a novelty fruit.  I got great interest when I posted these same photos on facebook. 

Viva la Peanut Butter Fruit!
Eating lots of them right now. Produces very well in Hawaii, but for some reason shy bearer on the mainland. The fruit does not taste at all like peanut butter to me, but is very tasty none the less. I would compare it more to dates, but not nearly as sweet as most dates. But texture is very similar, and it is sweet, unlike peanut butter.
Oscar

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2021, 06:38:47 PM »
It doesn't have the fat content of peanut butter so even with the flavor it isn't quite right.  Sort of like how chocolate flavored lollipops or hard candies aren't quite right without the fat

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2021, 05:06:39 AM »
It doesn't have the fat content of peanut butter so even with the flavor it isn't quite right.  Sort of like how chocolate flavored lollipops or hard candies aren't quite right without the fat
As far as i know this fruit has no fat content or oil in it. Very different from peanuts.
Oscar

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2021, 09:26:44 AM »
I don't know if I have a different type of peanut butter tree but my
fruit tastes like a spoonful of jiffy peanut butter. Nothing like dates.
It could be my taste buds? People I have given fruit to says it tastes
like peanut butter also

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk